Insight on McGill please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

northcountry

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm a Quebec resident who attended undergrad in the US. I just found out that I was accepted to McGill and I am completely psyched! McGill has been my first choice for a long time.
The problem is, when I went on my interview (in-province) they didn't give us a tour, an informational session, nor provided current students the opportunity to speak with us interviewees. They assumed that since we were from Quebec, we already had a feel for the facilities. I feel like I would now be accepting a position in the class blindly. None of my questions were answered because there was no one there! This was my 10th interview, and I walked away confused about the program. I would love to go back for a second look, but that would mean travelling over 2000 miles.

Are there any current students, or future students that know the program well, that can graciously provide me with insight on McGill. I would greatly appreciate any specific information on:
-Grading system, class and testing schedules
-Class environment (i.e. social environment, cooperativity and competitiveness of the class)
-Quality of professors and facilities (labs and hospitals)
-Living in Montreal
-PBL or completely lecture?
-How to apply for loans
-any other tips?

I have read the website, but hearing it from students gives me a better perspective of what I'm getting myself into. I don't want to jump into a school that is the wrong fit for me. I'm really hoping that it's not a cut-throat environment! Congrats on those who also received a spot, and good luck on those still waiting. Hopefully I'll see some of you next year!

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations, northcountry. Well done. :thumbup: :thumbup: All the best with med school. :luck:

Hi,

First of all--congrats on the acceptance!!! :) Secondly, it is rather unfortunate that McGill doesnt provide the welcome for the in province applicants like they do for OOP or internationals...this is something that we as students are attempting to change and believe it or not, we actually made some stride this year :)

I will do my best to answer your questions below...let me know if you need any other information/details :)

1. Grading system, class and testing schedules
-the first year and a half (ie. mostly basic and clinical since--the so called "basis of medicine") is completely pass/fail...that is, THERE IS NO HONOURS grade...I know that at some schools the advertise P/F, but in actuality it is modified (ie. high pass, pass, satisfactory etc...)...McGill is truly about 65%=pass. With respect to the testing schedules, we have an exam on average about every 3-4 weeks--whether that be a midterm or a final...I personally appreciate this as it forces me to keep up...

2. Class environment (i.e. social environment, cooperativity and competitiveness of the class)
-I find our class to be extremely cooperative and non-competitive (eg. at the beginning of the year students organized tutorials based on their areas of expertise for the rest of the class--something that still continues..)
-you may find the odd student that is competitive--but that is a definite minority...the pass/fail system truly prevents this....

3. Quality of professors and facilities (labs and hospitals)
-as in any school, some professors are phenomenal and others aren't...for the most part, the faculty is terrific and super approachable..the great thing about McGill is that at the beginning of each unit (as you know, it is systems based--LOVE that) you receive a set of notes that covers all the lectures and so if you are an independent learner, there really is no need to go to class to be honest...I cant really comment on the hospitals just yet, but the labs are more than adequate...both histo and anatomy are completely renovated and aid in enhancing understanding of the material...

4. Living in Montreal
-haha--one of the biggest draws to McGill...I am not from Quebec, but completed my undergrad at McGill...needless to say, when it came time to applying to medical schools, I just couldnt bring myself to leave...its diverse, open-minded, affordable, great restos...etc...I could seriously go on for ever :)

5. How to apply for loans
-being a medical or dental student in Canada, you can seriously go into any bank (RBC in particular) and get a $150, 000 line of credit automatically...also, there is government assistance (much of which is a bursary!)...google AFE and it should bring you to the site (maybe add quebec as another search item)

6. Is it completely PBL or lecture?
-it is mostly lecture-based with PBL sessions focusing on clinical cases to apply concepts and solidify material...this is personally the way I learn best--I couldnt do a solely PBL curriculum but that is of course a personal preference...

whoa--I had no idea I was going to compose such a long entry...again, congrats and feel free to post any other questions or private me as well if you wish...:)

good luck making your decision!

-prag

Members don't see this ad :)
Question, why does McGill require a 4-year degree? Does that extra year really help prepare you more for the rigours or medicine, or does it make you that much more well-adjusted for the practice of medicine. When they are taking youngins out of CEGEP, I don't understand why someone like myself (not CEGEP) would need a 4-year degree. Insight please.

northcountry said:
Hello everyone,
I'm a Quebec resident who attended undergrad in the US. I just found out that I was accepted to McGill and I am completely psyched! McGill has been my first choice for a long time.
The problem is, when I went on my interview (in-province) they didn't give us a tour, an informational session, nor provided current students the opportunity to speak with us interviewees. They assumed that since we were from Quebec, we already had a feel for the facilities. I feel like I would now be accepting a position in the class blindly. None of my questions were answered because there was no one there! This was my 10th interview, and I walked away confused about the program. I would love to go back for a second look, but that would mean travelling over 2000 miles.

Are there any current students, or future students that know the program well, that can graciously provide me with insight on McGill. I would greatly appreciate any specific information on:
-Grading system, class and testing schedules
-Class environment (i.e. social environment, cooperativity and competitiveness of the class)
-Quality of professors and facilities (labs and hospitals)
-Living in Montreal
-PBL or completely lecture?
-How to apply for loans
-any other tips?

I have read the website, but hearing it from students gives me a better perspective of what I'm getting myself into. I don't want to jump into a school that is the wrong fit for me. I'm really hoping that it's not a cut-throat environment! Congrats on those who also received a spot, and good luck on those still waiting. Hopefully I'll see some of you next year!

I'm a McGill U alumni . I recall having those large introductory genetics, biology,and biochemistry classes with the pre-meds. Anyone who has had lectures in the Stephen Leacock building will know how overwhelming those first courses were - a couple of hundred students ( no, I am not exaggerating) gathered in that lecture hall and the professor, a mere speck on the platform. For some reason, the premeds always managed to get the seating in the first rows, :rolleyes: and for everyone else seated towards the back of the auditorium, it was quite challenging to capture everything the barely audible professor said and scribble fast enough to get all the figures or graphs etc. :mad:

It didn't help that the professors rarely gave handouts or their own notes. How did we survive? NTCs- Note Taking Clubs! Basically, every week , a different group of people were responsible for recording the lectures , transcribing them and then distributing them to the rest of the class (at the time, they charged about 25-30$ per student/course/semester). My advice to you- DO NOT RELY on them 100% ! I used to transcribe nearly every single lecture and I used to find inaccuracies in them!

Make some reliable friends and review those NTCs together! If you don't have a recorder or are too lazy to record, the circulation desk at the McClennan library has recordings of many lectures. I don't know if they have the recordings for every single course but I would strongly suggest checking it out at the beginning of the semester before the midterm mayhem begins ! There were a few occasions when I borrowed some of the recorded lectures when my own recordings were not of high quality. *Sigh* Aww the memories of spending 3 hours or so transcribing a 90 minute lecture ! :rolleyes:

Anyhow, that's one of the main keys to surviving the McGill experience. I think the medical students have some sort of NTCs as well. It's been a while since I was a student at McGill so there are many things which may have changed (hopefully for the better). I don't even know which lectures are given at the Leacock auditorium anymore. There have been so many new buildings built on the McGill campus over the last few years.

BTW, Montreal ROCKS! :love: THE CITY OF FESTIVALS ! There is no end to the number of dance clubs, endless diversity of ethnic restaurants and other things to check out in this city ESPECIALLY in the summer time :"International Jazz Festival" , the "Just For Laughs" Comedy Festival, "International African Nights Festival" , the "World Film Festival" ,"Les Francopholies de Montreal" , "Montreal Bike Festival" (the world's biggest bike festival) , "International Fireworks Competition", "Beer Festival" and more...I have lived here all my life and I never get bored finding new things to do. It is truly fun to live and study in this city !

http://www.montrealjazzfest.com/preFIJM2006/accueil_en.asp

http://www.hahaha.com/comedy-2005.html

http://www.festivalnuitsdafrique.com/salledepresse_en.php?id=23

http://www.ffm-montreal.org/fr_index.html

http://www.francofolies.com/Francos2006/accueil_en.asp

http://www.velo.qc.ca/feria/index_e.lasso

http://www.internationaldesfeuxloto-quebec.com/en/programmation/

http://www.festivalmondialbiere.qc.ca/

For more festival listings:
http://montreal.com/tourism/fests.html

Thanks for all of the useful information. I already feel a lot more confident in my decision!

Hi,

We don't actually have NTCs per se... but rather professors actually write a set of notes and so technically you dont need a text book for the entire year (except perhaps an anatomy atlas)...as well, our classes are up in MacMed as well as strathcona...

With respect to having a four-year degree for admission, I think you just need a degree...most quebec residents bachelors degrees are actually only three years (with 2 years of CEGEP leading up to it)...

great links for the festivals!!! Montreal in the summer is the place to be :)

-prag

Smilemaker100 said:
I'm a McGill U alumni . I recall having those large introductory genetics, biology,and biochemistry classes with the pre-meds. Anyone who has had lectures in the Stephen Leacock building will know how overwhelming those first courses were - a couple of hundred students ( no, I am not exaggerating) gathered in that lecture hall and the professor, a mere speck on the platform. For some reason, the premeds always managed to get the seating in the first rows, :rolleyes: and for everyone else seated towards the back of the auditorium, it was quite challenging to capture everything the barely audible professor said and scribble fast enough to get all the figures or graphs etc. :mad:

It didn't help that the professors rarely gave handouts or their own notes. How did we survive? NTCs- Note Taking Clubs! Basically, every week , a different group of people were responsible for recording the lectures , transcribing them and then distributing them to the rest of the class (at the time, they charged about 25-30$ per student/course/semester). My advice to you- DO NOT RELY on them 100% ! I used to transcribe nearly every single lecture and I used to find inaccuracies in them!

Make some reliable friends and review those NTCs together! If you don't have a recorder or are too lazy to record, the circulation desk at the McClennan library has recordings of many lectures. I don't know if they have the recordings for every single course but I would strongly suggest checking it out at the beginning of the semester before the midterm mayhem begins ! There were a few occasions when I borrowed some of the recorded lectures when my own recordings were not of high quality. *Sigh* Aww the memories of spending 3 hours or so transcribing a 90 minute lecture ! :rolleyes:

Anyhow, that's one of the main keys to surviving the McGill experience. I think the medical students have some sort of NTCs as well. It's been a while since I was a student at McGill so there are many things which may have changed (hopefully for the better). I don't even know which lectures are given at the Leacock auditorium anymore. There have been so many new buildings built on the McGill campus over the last few years.

BTW, Montreal ROCKS! :love: THE CITY OF FESTIVALS ! There is no end to the number of dance clubs, endless diversity of ethnic restaurants and other things to check out in this city ESPECIALLY in the summer time :"International Jazz Festival" , the "Just For Laughs" Comedy Festival, "International African Nights Festival" , the "World Film Festival" ,"Les Francopholies de Montreal" , "Montreal Bike Festival" (the world's biggest bike festival) , "International Fireworks Competition", "Beer Festival" and more...I have lived here all my life and I never get bored finding new things to do. It is truly fun to live and study in this city !

http://www.montrealjazzfest.com/preFIJM2006/accueil_en.asp

http://www.hahaha.com/comedy-2005.html

http://www.festivalnuitsdafrique.com/salledepresse_en.php?id=23

http://www.ffm-montreal.org/fr_index.html

http://www.francofolies.com/Francos2006/accueil_en.asp

http://www.velo.qc.ca/feria/index_e.lasso

http://www.internationaldesfeuxloto-quebec.com/en/programmation/

http://www.festivalmondialbiere.qc.ca/

For more festival listings:
http://montreal.com/tourism/fests.html

Prag,

Thanks again for the great information. Here are a few more questions if you don't mind:

What is a good area for an apartment that is quiet but near the school? Do you recommend using the McGill housing ads?

Do you have to purchase a specific laptop? Does the campus have wireless internet?

Finally, does gross anatomy folllow the dissections or prosection method?

Prag said:
Hi,

First of all--congrats on the acceptance!!! :) Secondly, it is rather unfortunate that McGill doesnt provide the welcome for the in province applicants like they do for OOP or internationals...this is something that we as students are attempting to change and believe it or not, we actually made some stride this year :)

I will do my best to answer your questions below...let me know if you need any other information/details :)

1. Grading system, class and testing schedules
-the first year and a half (ie. mostly basic and clinical since--the so called "basis of medicine") is completely pass/fail...that is, THERE IS NO HONOURS grade...I know that at some schools the advertise P/F, but in actuality it is modified (ie. high pass, pass, satisfactory etc...)...McGill is truly about 65%=pass. With respect to the testing schedules, we have an exam on average about every 3-4 weeks--whether that be a midterm or a final...I personally appreciate this as it forces me to keep up...

2. Class environment (i.e. social environment, cooperativity and competitiveness of the class)
-I find our class to be extremely cooperative and non-competitive (eg. at the beginning of the year students organized tutorials based on their areas of expertise for the rest of the class--something that still continues..)
-you may find the odd student that is competitive--but that is a definite minority...the pass/fail system truly prevents this....

3. Quality of professors and facilities (labs and hospitals)
-as in any school, some professors are phenomenal and others aren't...for the most part, the faculty is terrific and super approachable..the great thing about McGill is that at the beginning of each unit (as you know, it is systems based--LOVE that) you receive a set of notes that covers all the lectures and so if you are an independent learner, there really is no need to go to class to be honest...I cant really comment on the hospitals just yet, but the labs are more than adequate...both histo and anatomy are completely renovated and aid in enhancing understanding of the material...

4. Living in Montreal
-haha--one of the biggest draws to McGill...I am not from Quebec, but completed my undergrad at McGill...needless to say, when it came time to applying to medical schools, I just couldnt bring myself to leave...its diverse, open-minded, affordable, great restos...etc...I could seriously go on for ever :)

5. How to apply for loans
-being a medical or dental student in Canada, you can seriously go into any bank (RBC in particular) and get a $150, 000 line of credit automatically...also, there is government assistance (much of which is a bursary!)...google AFE and it should bring you to the site (maybe add quebec as another search item)

6. Is it completely PBL or lecture?
-it is mostly lecture-based with PBL sessions focusing on clinical cases to apply concepts and solidify material...this is personally the way I learn best--I couldnt do a solely PBL curriculum but that is of course a personal preference...

whoa--I had no idea I was going to compose such a long entry...again, congrats and feel free to post any other questions or private me as well if you wish...:)

good luck making your decision!

-prag

check out premed101.com, the forums section. There is a thread for McGill med students, and a number of them post with some frequency.

No problem!

The great thing about Montreal is the affordability of housing (given its metropolitan nature)...you can either live east or west of campus within a 10 mins walk for dirt cheap (well perhaps not the actual price of dirt--but relatively close in comparison to places like Toronto/New York)...you can definitely use the McGill housing ads--I assume you have the address? In case you are not familiar, the sizes of apts are with respect to rooms (with 1/2 meaning a bathroom)...so for instance, a 3 1/2 would be 1 bedroom, 1 living room, 1 kitchen and a bathroom..I am actually partial to the east side of campus as I lived there for my undergard and it is much closer to grocery stores and Montreal nightlife (the west side is also near the action but it is more touristy I find...)

You don't need to buy a specific laptop...just one that functions and makes you happy :) all the libraries on campus are wireless and most parts of most buildings are as well...

Lastly, McGill uses a combination of dissection and prosections...everyone shares a cadaver with 3 other students and works through the disections...however, because it is systems based, you actually do pelvis before abdomen and so pelvis prosections are used...as well, prosections are used for upper and lower limb as well as face since these areas are incredibly difficult to dissect and there isnt much point in fiddling around trying to see all the arteries when one is prepared for you...(though I find dissections to be very beneficial)...we are actually in the process of preparing for our annual memorial service for the donors and their families....

let me know of any other questions!

-prag

northcountry said:
Prag,

Thanks again for the great information. Here are a few more questions if you don't mind:

What is a good area for an apartment that is quiet but near the school? Do you recommend using the McGill housing ads?

Do you have to purchase a specific laptop? Does the campus have wireless internet?

Finally, does gross anatomy folllow the dissections or prosection method?

Prag said:
No problem!

The great thing about Montreal is the affordability of housing (given its metropolitan nature)...you can either live east or west of campus within a 10 mins walk for dirt cheap (well perhaps not the actual price of dirt--but relatively close in comparison to places like Toronto/New York)...you can definitely use the McGill housing ads--I assume you have the address? In case you are not familiar, the sizes of apts are with respect to rooms (with 1/2 meaning a bathroom)...so for instance, a 3 1/2 would be 1 bedroom, 1 living room, 1 kitchen and a bathroom..I am actually partial to the east side of campus as I lived there for my undergard and it is much closer to grocery stores and Montreal nightlife (the west side is also near the action but it is more touristy I find...)

You don't need to buy a specific laptop...just one that functions and makes you happy :) all the libraries on campus are wireless and most parts of most buildings are as well...

Lastly, McGill uses a combination of dissection and prosections...everyone shares a cadaver with 3 other students and works through the disections...however, because it is systems based, you actually do pelvis before abdomen and so pelvis prosections are used...as well, prosections are used for upper and lower limb as well as face since these areas are incredibly difficult to dissect and there isnt much point in fiddling around trying to see all the arteries when one is prepared for you...(though I find dissections to be very beneficial)...we are actually in the process of preparing for our annual memorial service for the donors and their families....

let me know of any other questions!

-prag

Living in the McGill ghetto is an interesting alternative. It's so close to Prince Arthur and all those other lovely cobblestone streets with those marvelous restaurants and coffee places to study at.

You can also check out the student dorms. I had a few friends who lived in the all girls student residence - Royal Victoria College. But I doubt you'll be able to study there sometimes as my friends often opted for the libraries. Those co-ed residence halls had the reputation of having wild frat parties. I remember reading in the McGill alumni news not too long ago that the university had recently acquired another residence hall.

http://www.mcgill.ca/residences/undergraduate/tour/nrh/

Prag said:
Hi,

We don't actually have NTCs per se... but rather professors actually write a set of notes and so technically you dont need a text book for the entire year (except perhaps an anatomy atlas)...as well, our classes are up in MacMed as well as strathcona...

With respect to having a four-year degree for admission, I think you just need a degree...most quebec residents bachelors degrees are actually only three years (with 2 years of CEGEP leading up to it)...

great links for the festivals!!! Montreal in the summer is the place to be :)

-prag

Does Dr Morales still teach the anatomy and histology courses at Strathcona? He was one of my best profs in undergrad and always such a wisecrack. :D

Smilemaker100 said:
Does Dr Morales still teach the anatomy and histology courses at Strathcona? He was one of my best profs in undergrad and always such a wisecrack. :D

haha...I love Dr. Morales! He only taught us histology of the sperm (and ovum too if I remember correctly)...however, we have Dr. Warshawsky who takes care of the histo labs--did he teach during undergrad? he is phenomenonal and definitely makes histology enjoyable (for someone like me with a humanities background...heh...)...in fact, he has his name on one of those ivory plaques in strathcona if you look hard enough :)

will you be coming back to McGill smilemaker? or just reminiscing? :)

Also, the residences you were referring to (ie. New Res and RVC) are unfortunately only for undergrads...however, I do believe there is graduate housing available though montreal is so cheap that it makes living on your own that much easier :)

Prag said:
haha...I love Dr. Morales! He only taught us histology of the sperm (and ovum too if I remember correctly)...however, we have Dr. Warshawsky who takes care of the histo labs--did he teach during undergrad? he is phenomenonal and definitely makes histology enjoyable (for someone like me with a humanities background...heh...)...in fact, he has his name on one of those ivory plaques in strathcona if you look hard enough :)

will you be coming back to McGill smilemaker? or just reminiscing? :)

Also, the residences you were referring to (ie. New Res and RVC) are unfortunately only for undergrads...however, I do believe there is graduate housing available though montreal is so cheap that it makes living on your own that much easier :)

Unfortunately, I never had Dr Warshawsky as a lab teacher. I believe he taught the dental students at McGill. He was spoken of very highly during my time. Dr Morales taught me a general histology course when I was an undergrad.

Just reminiscing. My best university days were spent at McGill. No, I don't think I'll be returning to McGill as a student ! I think I've had enough with three university degrees. :laugh: I wouldn't mind teaching at McGill one day. I am simply not sure where I will be settling. I may be moving away from Montreal again...just not sure where yet.

I still like hanging out in the McGill area, when I have the free time. Sometimes, I go to the health sciences library in the McIntyre building to read recent journals. I used to love the archaic William Osler library.

Most of my friends from my McGill days no longer live in Montreal. :(

Cherish your time as a student at McGill - your student days will go by faster than you realize !