Inservice Ideas for acute care in trauma ICU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

denjack10

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a student in a large hospital mainly on the shock trauma ICU and step down floors. I'm looking for ideas for a good inservice to give. They have lots of students come through every year and all have to give an inservice so I'm looking for something that hasn't been done a ton, like early mobilization. I know the likelihood of picking something completely new is low, but something that would pertain specifically to my floors would be great. Most of my patients have had a MVC, ski accident, fall, etc with multiple fxs among other things as well as septic shock, respiratory failure, or abdominal surgeries. Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes! An orientation to Acute Care competencies is an idea. Core Competencies for PTs and PTAs - Academy of Acute Care Physical Therapy

I think that your CI, if unaware of these competencies, would really appreciate getting updated on them. If they are aware, maybe asking if there are any of the competencies where they know that the staff may be a bit weak and could use an inservice, perhaps? One of the competencies is to perform a medical record review. An inservice on that could do a few case examples and potentially focus upon lab values, or clinical decision making, or use of outcomes assessments.
I hope this helps, good luck.

I work at a similar type of facility - one of the students we recently had presented on several objective functional tests with a break down of which would be more applicable in day ICU vs Telemetry vs Ortho/MedSurg.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
How about educating staff about how the words they choose to describe their patient's condition or injury can influence their recovery.
e.g. "you tweaked your ankle" vs "you have a grade I sprain of your ankle" vs "you partially tore some ligaments in your ankle" all really describe the same thing but some words are more scary to the patient and it adversely affects their outcomes.

I might be late to the game, but what about Post-Intensive Care Syndrome? I recently had a co-worker give an in-service on PICS and it was very informative and helpful on guiding our patients through the trauma of the ICU.