Input about how to rank these California programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yellowcocopuffs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Besides the top top programs (UCSF, CHLA, Stanford, UCLA), it's hard for me to figure out how I should rank these:

UC Davis
UC Irvine CHOC
USC LAC
UCLA Harbor
Loma Linda

Any input is appreciated. Please PM me if you would like!

Members don't see this ad.

Can you give us some insight into what youre looking for in a program? Academic vs community based, small vs large program, free standing hospital or not, intensity of schedule.....etc? It would help provide more tailored replies, I think.

Can you give us some insight into what youre looking for in a program? Academic vs community based, small vs large program, free standing hospital or not, intensity of schedule.....etc? It would help provide more tailored replies, I think.

More so the quality of the training than the criteria you listed above.

I'd assume UCD, UCI will be more academic, the others less so. Maybe with exception to Loma Linda. Free standing or not doesn't matter for me. Size, not so important as I rank the programs. I am just wondering if anyone knows any red flags about any of these programs. For example, I have been told USC LAC has had trouble finding quality residents in the past and that Loma Linda is very religious. I am looking fro any insight for any of the above programs.

If these programs are very different in terms of the intensity of schedule, can you please let me know as well? I can't recall if one program seemed to work significantly worse hours than others (based on what residents have told me on interview day).

Members don't see this ad :)
I have many ties to LA and general impression there is that Harbor pediatrics provides a great patient population, variety of conditions, and reasonable schedule - but many people comment on the quality of residents and have not been as impressed with the people as they have been with the hospital. That being said, many strong candidates from the nearby medical schools think fondly of Harbor and will rank it highly, so I'm sure the classes have a decent mix of "quality" in the end.

Does any one have any thoughts on comparing the top CA programs (CHLA, Stanford, UCSF) in terms of clinical training, schedule intensity, or general resident happiness?

Anyone have thoughts on UCSD vs UCI/CHOC in terms of quality of teaching, quality of life, and fellowship placement?

I have many ties to LA and general impression there is that Harbor pediatrics provides a great patient population, variety of conditions, and reasonable schedule - but many people comment on the quality of residents and have not been as impressed with the people as they have been with the hospital. That being said, many strong candidates from the nearby medical schools think fondly of Harbor and will rank it highly, so I'm sure the classes have a decent mix of "quality" in the end.

Does any one have any thoughts on comparing the top CA programs (CHLA, Stanford, UCSF) in terms of clinical training, schedule intensity, or general resident happiness?

What about USC LAC? How is their reputation? Kaiser LA?

I would also love thoughts about CHLA, Stanford, UCSF and UCLA in terms of intensity and vibe/resident happiness! I feel like some of the posts about this within the Peds forum are kind of outdated.

Thanks for the input, Physicsnerd42! I am also trying to rank all these California program and would love more information - especially on Kaiser LA, USC, Loma Linda and CHOC/UCI. I searched through the forum and most threads are pretty old. Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the input, Physicsnerd42! I am also trying to rank all these California program and would love more information - especially on Kaiser LA, USC, Loma Linda and CHOC/UCI. I searched through the forum and most threads are pretty old. Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately the only of those programs I know anything about is CHOC. It seemed like they have pretty strong clinical training but fewer resources for research/academics. The thing I found a little odd about the program was the setup with basically rotating at two county hospitals (CHOC and Millers). Some programs have more than one hospital (usually one academic quaternary center and one county hospital), like Boston Children's and Boston Medical, Seattle Children's and Harbourview, Stanford (Packard) and Santa Clara Valley. CHOC and Millers are basically the same type of hospital so it doesn't really make sense why they rotate at both.

Reactions: 1 user
jumping on this thread.. can anyone offer any more insight to UC Davis? looking on Doximity, I was a bit taken aback by the low Alumni Satisfaction (sample size of 2 though). curious about general things mentioned there: overall satisfaction, schedule flexibility, work hours, culture, etc.

jumping on this thread.. can anyone offer any more insight to UC Davis? looking on Doximity, I was a bit taken aback by the low Alumni Satisfaction (sample size of 2 though). curious about general things mentioned there: overall satisfaction, schedule flexibility, work hours, culture, etc.

I can't tell you much about UC Davis but I can tell you to put approximately 0% faith in doximity. It may be the only game in town for residency rankings but its methodology is pretty terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users