Info on WestCoast University Los Angeles

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I hope I will be when I apply by the September 1st deadline!
But to be honest, your stats got me a little worried. I hope to have at least a 3.5 prerequisite GPA by Sept 1. I could retake the C grade that's holding me down but then I'd have to wait til next year to apply :(

My cumulative GPA is 3.3.. But my C in physio was holding me down. I took another anatomy and physiology combined course and got an A during my undergrad. If they didn't accept it, I would have a 3.6..

It doesn't hurt to apply! Just to see where you stand. And, if anything retake the course. Did you apply anywhere else?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My cumulative GPA is 3.3.. But my C in physio was holding me down. I took another anatomy and physiology combined course and got an A during my undergrad. If they didn't accept it, I would have a 3.6..

It doesn't hurt to apply! Just to see where you stand. And, if anything retake the course. Did you apply anywhere else?

I have not applied anywhere else yet.
Do you mind sending me your email? I'd love to keep in touch and see how your interview went! :)

Hi! Yes, I applied and I have an interview this week. I'm in northern california so I don't think I had the option of a skype interview.. I haven't heard of anything from other students besides those that chimed in here.. Do you know anything about the interview?
Hey, No I do not know anything about the interview. Just been preparing myself with different questions. What about you? did you have your interview yet?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
@cici88 Congrats on getting an interview! What are your stats and when did you apply? Read my previous post about what the students told me at the info session. At the interview, basically, they try to get to know you and aren't intimidating. They ask why you chose OT, ask you some ethical questions, and how you describe OT to other people (your elevator speech). Good Luck!!
Thank you so much!!:)

I'm part of the Inaugural Class at West Coast. West Coast is now accredited as of a few weeks ago. :) YAY!

May I ask please, how do you like the program so far? what would you advice to do to get ready in order to be successful the first semester in please? Thank you:)

I had a Skype interview with West coast university a week ago. It was a panel interview with 3 people, including Dr. Van Dan Heever. It was a typical interview with lots of situation and ethical questions. They were very nice and the interview lasted about 30 minutes. Example questions:
1. When did you decide you wanted to be an occupational therapist
2. How do you explain occupational therapy to other people
3. When was there a time when you witnessed something unethical
4. Why WCU OT program?

Reactions: 1 users
I just got the interview invite this week :) can anyone, who has been through the interview process, provide me some interview questions? And if it’s in person interview, did you get the chance to type the essay question? or you wrote it? Thank you!!!!

I had a Skype interview with West coast university a week ago. It was a panel interview with 3 people, including Dr. Van Dan Heever. It was a typical interview with lots of situation and ethical questions. They were very nice and the interview lasted about 30 minutes. Example questions:
4. Why WCU OT program?

Good Luck!! :)

Reactions: 2 users
4. Why WCU OT program?

Awesome-Congratulations on getting the interview!
Did they tell you when to expect a decision? I am waiting to receive my interview date/time and am wondering if they accept people before the deadline...that would be great if they did!

I just finished my first trimester at WCU. Whoa that was intense, but I loved it!

The program is great, and the instructors are amazing and passionate. They want you to succeed. I was doubting it'd be a good idea to apply there, since it wasn't accredited at that time. Glad I did after all, and it all worked out! I am very happy to be a part of the program.

Feel free to ask questions, I'll tell you what I know.

Reactions: 1 users
I just finished my first trimester at WCU. Whoa that was intense, but I loved it!

The program is great, and the instructors are amazing and passionate. They want you to succeed. I was doubting it'd be a good idea to apply there, since it wasn't accredited at that time. Glad I did after all, and it all worked out! I am very happy to be a part of the program.

Hey UnderWaterrr! I was not able to find emails of the professors/faculty on the WCU: Dr Stacy and Dr. Diane. Do you have their emails, or who do you think I can talk to? Thank you so much for your time in advance. :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey UnderWaterrr! I was not able to find emails of the professors/faculty on the WCU: Dr. Stacey Willis, Dr. Diana Gantman. Do you have their emails, or who do you think I can talk to? Thank you so much for your time in advance. :)

I think it'd be better to contact admission office.

Awesome-Congratulations on getting the interview!
Did they tell you when to expect a decision? I am waiting to receive my interview date/time and am wondering if they accept people before the deadline...that would be great if they did!
NO, maybe after May 1.

OMGGGGGGGGGG!! FINALLY SOMEONE IN THE ACTUALLY PROGRAM!!!!!!!! YAY YAY THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR REPLYING. I HAVE A LOT OF QUESTION PLEASE.:)

1. How are the classes? what would you advise to do in order to get ahead to be successful in the classes/or program?
2. How was the Anatomy class? How is the Anatomy class like please?
3. what are the class schedule like? when do you have time to study?
4. Are the professor really hard, are the exams really hard etc?
5. what are some of the things the program have set up to help the student be successful?
6. How is the living there? is the traffic really bad? would it be best to move to L.A?
7. Did all your cohort make it through the first trimester?
8. Does WCU have a such thing as WEED OUT class please?
9. What should we start preparing for those who are waiting to start?
10. Should we start studying now for anything?
11. How long did it take to get your accept letter please?
12. What was one of your struggle during your first trimester?

Sorry, I know its a lot of question, Thank you so much for answering them in advance.;)

Last edited:

Hi, can you please answer some of the questions please? Thank you so much!!!

cici88,

Anatomy is not hard, just fast paced. A lot of material to learn in depth in a very short time. That's what makes it challenging. I'd say the same thing about all classes, but Anatomy is especially fast. So, if you want to get ahead and decrease the level of upcoming stress, start studying bones in great details, muscles (action, origin, insertion), nerves, etc. Study whatever you can, you'll need most of it.

Schedule is Monday - Thursday, 9 - 3;20, but you'll have to study the rest of the time, including weekends. You might want to come to the school on Friday or Saturday to practice for practical exams. You'll have tons of homework to do: reading assignments, group projects, presentations, case-studies, essays, weekly quizzes, papers, etc. Again, not extremely difficult concepts, just a lot! You'll have very little life. Some classes overlap, which is helpful.

Professors are different. Some are harder than others. All exams are based on lectures and readings, so, if you are paying attention in class and studying at home, you'll pass. Almost everyone made it through the first trimester. All the instructors are very helpful. No "weed out". They want you to succeed. If you're motivated you'll do just fine. OT is not a rocket science. However, be prepared to apply your critical thinking skills.

Of course, you would have to move here: it's not an online-program. Living is expensive, traffic is bad. The closer you live to the school the less time in traffic you'll spend. You don't want to be late for the class: you'll miss morning quiz.

I've got my acceptance letter 2 weeks after the interview, but my interview was closer to the end. By then, most of the people were already interviewed.
The main struggle -- not enough time, which makes it very stressful. Your GPA can't go lower than 3.0.

Just accept all these challenges as a part of the experience. Other than that I love the program. They prepare you for the clinical work, while some programs mainly focus on research (as I understood from this forum).

cici88,

Anatomy is not hard, just fast paced. A lot of material to learn in depth in a very short time. That's what makes it challenging. I'd say the same thing about all classes, but Anatomy is especially fast. So, if you want to get ahead and decrease the level of upcoming stress, start studying bones in great details, muscles (action, origin, insertion), nerves, etc. Study whatever you can, you'll need most of it.

Schedule is Monday - Thursday, 9 - 3;20, but you'll have to study the rest of the time, including weekends. You might want to come to the school on Friday or Saturday to practice for practical exams. You'll have tons of homework to do: reading assignments, group projects, presentations, case-studies, essays, weekly quizzes, papers, etc. Again, not extremely difficult concepts, just a lot! You'll have very little life. Some classes overlap, which is helpful.

Professors are different. Some are harder than others. All exams are based on lectures and readings, so, if you are paying attention in class and studying at home, you'll pass. Almost everyone made it through the first trimester. All the instructors are very helpful. No "weed out". They want you to succeed. If you're motivated you'll do just fine. OT is not a rocket science. However, be prepared to apply your critical thinking skills.

Of course, you would have to move here: it's not an online-program. Living is expensive, traffic is bad. The closer you live to the school the less time in traffic you'll spend. You don't want to be late for the class: you'll miss morning quiz.

I've got my acceptance letter 2 weeks after the interview, but my interview was closer to the end. By then, most of the people were already interviewed.
The main struggle -- not enough time, which makes it very stressful. Your GPA can't go lower than 3.0.

Just accept all these challenges as a part of the experience. Other than that I love the program. They prepare you for the clinical work, while some programs mainly focus on research (as I understood from this forum).[/QUOTE

THANKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK YOU SO MUCH!! YOU ARE THE BEST!!:) THIS IS VERY HELFUL!!. I Sent you something let me know if you got it.!!:) Thanks again.

NO, maybe after May 1.
Thanks.
I actually just go into Loma Linda, so I will be accepting that spot and not pursuing WCU anymore, even though I think it is an awesome program. I don't want to lose my chance by waiting for WCU. Good Luck!

Thanks.
I actually just go into Loma Linda, so I will be accepting that spot and not pursuing WCU anymore, even though I think it is an awesome program. I don't want to lose my chance by waiting for WCU. Good Luck!

I got taken off the wait list at Touro university around the same time you did! Congrats @DaisyMama. I hoped I would hear from WCU earlier...

I got taken off the wait list at Touro university around the same time you did! Congrats @DaisyMama. I hoped I would hear from WCU earlier...
Wow, That's great for both of us! Now we are on to fulfilling our goals!!!!! So Awesome!! :claps:

4. Why WCU OT program?

Hi! I was wondering if I could email you a question about the interview? Thank you!

Hello underwaterrr,

Can you share with us what the essay topic was at the interview?
And how much do we have to write?

Thank you :)

Hello underwaterrr,

Can you share with us what the essay topic was at the interview?
And how much do we have to write?

Thank you :)

I heard that they have a few different essay topics. I apologize for not remembering the exact wording of my topic, but the general idea sounded like " Why do you think WCU would benefit from having you as a student, you and why do you think you'd be a good OT". Pretty generic and simple.

45 min without cellphone use for spellcheck, 1 page (2 sides). You'll get a scratch paper.

I heard that they have a few different essay topics. I apologize for not remembering the exact wording of my topic, but the general idea sounded like " Why do you think WCU would benefit from having you as a student, you and why do you think you'd be a good OT". Pretty generic and simple.

45 min without cellphone use for spellcheck, 1 page (2 sides). You'll get a scratch paper.

Thank you so much!!

Is this hand written? They give you 45 minutes for the essay or for the total interview? I was told the whole interview only takes 30 mins to 45 mins.

Is this hand written? They give you 45 minutes for the essay or for the total interview? I was told the whole interview only takes 30 mins to 45 mins.

Yes, it is hand written. 45 minutes just for the essay. The interview itself took maybe 20 min

Yes, it is hand written. 45 minutes just for the essay. The interview itself took maybe 20 min
That's a long time. Did you take the full time? I wonder why they said the whole interview takes 30-45 mins. Maybe they changed the essay time.

That's a long time. Did you take the full time? I wonder why they said the whole interview takes 30-45 mins. Maybe they changed the essay time.

45 minutes is a decent amount of time, that's true. I assume, I submitted it before the time was up, but I don't know exactly how long it took me.

45 minutes is a decent amount of time, that's true. I assume, I submitted it before the time was up, but I don't know exactly how long it took me.

can I email you about the interview? so far no one has replied :) thank you!

Last edited:
If you live out of state and have an interview via Skype, how does the essay work?

Hi everyone!

I have my interview on Monday for the Fall 2015 class. I'm nervous even after reading everything on this thread. If anyone has any tips let me know please! Also, Has anyone been accepted yet for fall 2015?

I have my interview via Skype in a week, if anyone has anymore advice on how to prepare, I would appreciate it! Thanks!

I also just finished my first trimester at WCU and it was intense but I feel confident that this school is going to prepare me well for my future practices! The staff is amazinnggg! If you guys do decide to attend, be prepared, it'll be tough but definetely worth it :]
If you guys are interviewing...GOOD LUCK!! DON'T BE NERVOUS! YOU'LL BE FINE

I have my interview via Skype in a week, if anyone has anymore advice on how to prepare, I would appreciate it! Thanks!
Hey! I'm currently a student in this program. Just make sure you know how to verbalize what occupational therapy means