Info for parents about Canadian IMG's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docmira

Princess of Power
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
I have done a great deal of reading concerning this topic for the last few years. I have read websites, read these forums, etc and I know how hard and long the process if for getting residency and licencing in Canada or any other country.
I am trying to find a comprehensive website that will explain the situation Canadian citizens face when the leave Canada to go to med school, and the difficulties they face when they try to find residencies.
If someone can please refer me to some good sites that will help get this point across to my parents I would greatly appreciate it. They seem to think based on a few encounters with people trained from foreign countries that I am being ridiculous and should just go to Pakistan or the Caribbean for med school.
Please help me.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You are definitely right. Being trained outside Canada or USA, you are most likely never coming to work in CANADA. NOT AS A PHYSICIAN. Some people do it. But the percentage of people who do is less than 1%. And usually they are trained in UK/AUSTRALIA or Have great connections.

Even if you pass your Canadian exams you may have trouble getting a residency (training in Canada).

If you go to the US an do a medical degree there, you can come back and work in Canada.

THe funny thing about parents is they are stuborn and usually stupid about these kind of issues.

Another question... DO YOU WANT TO DO MEDICINE? DON'T answer me... IT IS FOR YOU TO ANSWER. I don't care really.

My concern, coming from a strict immigrant family, I know how parents can push their Kids in the wrong direction. Success to them is measured only by you making it as a DoCtOr. That is wrong. THere are so many other careers out there that are more prestigeous and powerful then medicine.

Do some search on Google and see what you get. I dought your parents are going to care anyway.

Are you in Toronto/Vancouver ??