Indomethacin's Step 2 CK Journal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

indomethacin_

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am an IMG originally born in the U.S. I recently took my Step 1 exam for the first time on December 18th 2014 and passed with a score of a 244. It was around 10 points lower than my NBMEs and self assessments probably due to exam day stress and silly mistakes, but I am very thankful for the score.

I had originally made a thread here and studied for about 7 months, it says a bit more about me:
http://www.prep4usmle.com/forum/thread/119013/

Obecalp was a huge inspiration to me on prep4usmle forums, and pholston has been a huge inspiration for me from sdn.

I wanted to make a Step CK journal because my last journal helped me tremendously in making sure I was doing a lot of work everyday.

I started my Step CK studying on December 19th 2014. (That's right, I was so depressed walking out of the Step 1 exam that I decided to start studying for CK right away. lol)

I finished MTB 2 by the end of december and bought the Rx Qbank in the beginning of january.
The first block I scored 87% all mixed, but it was downhill from there where I would score 54% or even lower.

Most of January I got distracted from studying and was doing minimal work everyday. Sadly I was unable to finish Rx qbank, and was still scoring in the 70% zone.

I just recently started my family med rotations being my first set of rotations on Jan 26th, so I do not have much clinical experience when it comes to answering CK questions.

I am 300 qs away from finishing Rx qbank and I have a current overall of 69%. Unlike my previous step studying, for step 2 ck prep I just read through the wrong answers and did not make notes on my mistakes. I think this was a mistake because I am tending to get the same things wrong twice from Rx qbank. However for Kaplan qbank and UW I will go back to what I know works for me and make notes on anything I don't know from the qbanks.

I also am watching the Kaplan CK videos, and I do feel they are helping since I lack the clinical experience, but they are taking up way too much time even at 1.5 speed.

I took a 4 block Rx simulation yesterday and scored 65% or Rx Predicted USMLE of 219. From experience Rx overpredicted my USMLE score of 82% overall in Step 1 by 22 points. It said I would get a 266, so I know that I am probably sitting around a 200 USMLE scale if not a tad lower for Step 2 CK. So I was really disappointed about that, but I know I am capable and will do much better.

I plan to write my CK exam by the middle or end of April, and my goal is to score a 260+.

Materials to use
1.) MTB 2 (Read once, on second read now)
2.) Rx Qbank (Almost completed)
3.) Kaplan Qbank (Yet to complete)
4.) UW (Yet to complete)
5.) NBMEs (Yet to complete)
6.) UWSAs (Yet to complete)

Have yet to purchase MTB 3, FA CK, and uptodate.

obecalp from prep4usmle is the person whos template I used to study for Step 1, and he recommended FA CK for step 2. So I am considering buying it along with MTB 3. I have read pholston's pdf for step 2 ck and will definitely look into up to date. For step 1 all qbank notes went straight into FA, along with print outs of nbme mistakes and what not.

So as of right now I am making MTB 2 the main book where all my qbank notes, kaplan video notes, and management notes are going in.

Today I am going to read the FA CK pdf for peds, and then do all remaining peds questions in Rx to see how I score with FA CK information. Most of my recent block scores have been 68%-77%, but I know with the next qbanks I will do better.

Will update later, it is an honor to finally post here after lurking for over a year.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
- Took NBME 3 today.
It went alright, but did not score nearly as well as I would have liked, but I am confident that if I keep at it, I will be able to achieve my goal.

Will update later.

EDIT1:
- Went through the NBME 3 and made some notes. Since there is no extended feedback here, a lot of the answers to the question will remain a mystery, and I didn't want to risk getting wrong information down. I did google search to figure out a bunch of questions to mainly figured out the concepts and made notes directly into MTB 2. I am using the blank sheets in the back of MTB 2 for NBME and Clinical Mastery Series notes, this way I won't be struggling to find my notes throughout the book.

I always find many different threads for the same nbme questions and get the general consensus that way, worked for me in Step 1.

I am hopeful that thing will get better, since the next two NBMEs do have extended feedback.

Will update later.

Last edited:
Really trying to pick things back up today. Trying to push for 2 UW blocks, 2 block of Clinical Mastery series, and some MTB 2 readings from now until my next NBME.

- Did and reviewed the 50 qs in Clinical Mastery Series Ob/Gyn 1.
Very good questions, I definitely overthought a lot of them. I guess it is true when it's been said that UW trains us to overthink.
Thankful for the mistakes I made and learned from today.

- Did and reviewed 44 qs UW mixed.

Will update later.

EDIT1:
- Did and reviewed another 44 qs UW mixed.

Seem to be on a time crunch for the day, but will try to do more and will update later.

EDIT 2:

- Did and reviewed Clinical Mastery Series Ob/Gyn 2
These Ob/Gyn questions were definitely huge blows to my confidence today, but I know I can overcome the odds even against future Ob/Gyn questions.

I am capable of getting a 250-260 on this test, I know I can do this.

Last edited:
- Did and reviewed 50 qs Clinical Mastery Series Peds 1.

- Did and reviewed 50 q for Clinical Mastery Series Peds 2.

Did a few raw score points better than yesterday, but still trying to push for higher as I believe I am capable of doing even better.

Will update later.

EDIT1:
- Read 43 pgs MTB 2. Finished remaining Cardiology & Endocrine section.
Reading this is essential for me at this point because all of my UW explanations and mechanisms are in this book, I plan on reading through this book twice before my exam.

On page 128/568.

I have a good feeling about things.

EDIT2:

- Did and reviewed 44 qs in UW.
Scoring very well on the blocks, I am explaining the reasoning and mechanism in my mind before I choose the answer, so it's not just an easy way out with simple recall. This helps me keep the concepts fresh and strong in my mind.

Every time I get a question wrong, I reflect on it for a moment and think whether if I've ever read it, whether if I'd truly know how to explain it. Turns out, 9 times out of 10 I can. I can explain it very well, just a matter of keeping a critical mindset and being aware of that the knowledge is all there somewhere. I have pulled 250+ on the NBMEs before in Step 1 and I believe I can do it again.

Shooting for a 250-260, I know I can do it.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
-Just did Clinical Mastery Series Medicine 1; have yet to review it but just wanted to share the progress. I scored 42/50 with a raw score of 26 and a percentile of 85%.

I believe I've found the path for myself to do things more clearly now. Reading the question and reaching a final decision in my mind WITHOUT looking at the choices prevents further confusion and back-and-fro loss of confidence between to two answers. If the answer I was thinking of was not there, I would go with the answer that is closest to the answer I was thinking of in my mind.

Granted that Medicine Clinical Mastery Series Section is more so Step 1 heavy, but I've went from 20 raw score to a raw score of 26 in just a few days. This is a big deal as I feel things are only going to move forward. No such thing as a plateau in my mind.

Shooting for 90%+ from this point onwards, I know I can do this. Will update later.

EDIT1:

- Completed Clinical Mastery Series Med 2 and reviewed right answers only.
Scored a few raw points lower this time, a bit disappointed here. But will try to keep pushing and learning from my mistakes.
Will review wrong answers later tonight as it's a time consuming and a struggle to find the right answers sometimes.

- Read 40 pgs MTB 2
On page 170/568

- Completed fixing Errata for MTB 2 and Errata MTB 3.
Learned a few things while going through the MTB 3 errata.
MTB 2 errata is mostly grammatical errors.
http://www.kaptest.com/pdf_files/MtB_USMLE_Step2_CK_2e_4.pdf
http://www.kaptest.com/pdf_files/978-1-61865-375-8_MtB_USMLE_Step3_3e_2p.pdf

EDIT2:
- Finished doing 88 Qs in UW. I will review them TOMORROW most likely.

EDIT3:
- Finished reviewing Clinical Mastery Series Medicine 2.
After reviewing them, the scenarios seem a lot more doable. Thankful for every bit of progress I make before my exam.

EDIT4:
-Started reading Pestana's PDF surgery notes a week ago. Had around 60 pages left and finished reading them today.
I don't know how much these notes will correlate to when I take the real deal, but they are unbelievably high yield (Aside from a few outdated management order differences) for the scenarios given on NBMEs, UW, and Clinical Mastery Series questions throughout my Step 2 CK prep.

There were countless scenarios for pathologies that are found as distractors/wrong options in many questions I've done before. Stayed up really late doing this, but was worth the read.

Last edited:
I go to clinicals on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays so it's difficult to get proper studying done until I get home well around 6 pm. However, very thankful for the time I do have everyday.

- Did Surgery Clinical Mastery 1. Have yet to review these and make notes.

Will update later.

EDIT1:
-Did Surgery Clinical Mastery 2.
Lowest grade thus far; very very disappointed with this.
With Surgery 1 I scored a little above average, but Surgery 2 got me today.

Will push through this as best as I can. I believe when I learn this well, it will be a lot more doable. I know I can do it.

- Made notes for all right answers for Clinical Mastery Series Surgery 1 and Surgery 2. Pretty much if I guessed or right, or if felt there was useful info in the question stem or the answer choices.
Will review the wrong answers last, after I get more work done.

EDIT 2:
- Read 40 pgs MTB 2.

Page 210/568

Will update later.

EDIT 3:

- Reviewed all wrong answers for Clinical Mastery Series Surgery 1 and Surgery 2. I grossly underestimated how long it would take to do this.
It's already 3:14 am right now. Won't be able to get to yesterday's UW blocks tonight.

Will review the notes I made for today and call it a night. Will try to push to get more done tomorrow.

Last edited:
Hi, looks like you're doing some real hard work there! Great. Was just wondering if you know/found out the answer to the contact dermatitis question on medicine form 2 in the mastery series? I chose avoiding rose thorns and it was wrong!

@PeurtoRico = I did it online and got it right. It did not show up in my extended feedback. Answer was Avoid weeds.

Today,
- Finished reading Psych section MTB 3 during rotations time. Very very thankful here.

- Just did Clinical Mastery Series Psych 1. I got the psych questions down pact.
42/50, Raw score 28 with a percentile of 90%!
I haven't been sleeping well at all, I was dosing off while doing this and almost ran out of time. But pulled through.
Couldn't be more thankful here.

Have yet to review this.

Will update later.

EDIT1:

- Did Clinical Mastery Series Psych 2 and totally messed it up Got a raw score near 20.
Very disappointed for the significant drop, will have to keep pushing to really figure out what was it that I misunderstood.

- Made notes on all correct answers from Clinical Mastery Series Psych 1 & 2.

Great inspirational speech, never back down. and keep moving forward.

EDIT 4/28/15: Don't really follow sports or news much, sort of found out today that this man speaking murdered two people or at least was accused of doing so. Quite unfortunate, but at the end of the day the message is what I found important.

Will update later.

EDIT2:

-Read 40 pgs MTB 2.
On pg 250/568.

5:28 am, slept a little somewhere last night and ended up waking up early. Still have yet to review the mistakes of Clinical Mastery Series Psych. Usually leave for clinicals around 7:45am. Body is wanting rest and to go back to sleep these two hours, but will try to push to find the answers now.

EDIT3:

Surprised I did it, I stayed up in an attempt to finish all of the answers. Too bad, a lot of people don't seem to have posted about the Psych Clinical Mastery Series questions compared to the other NBMEs. But still looking, I'm sure I will find a way.

Last edited:
- Read 40 pgs MTB 2.

On pg 290/568.

- Read two short chapters in USMLE Step 2 Secrets during the rotation.

- Reviewed 1 of the 2 blocks of UW I did a few days ago.

Will update later.

EDIT1:

- Finished review Wrong answers for Clinical Mastery Series Psych form 2.
Did get a lot more wrong than I would have liked in this form, and unlike the other forms. I could not seem to find many discussions when compared to the other shelves.

So went with the hunch for some, and with strong confidence for the rest. Hopefully it pays off.

Will go to sleep now. 3:26 am, going to wake up tomorrow around 8am, and do as much as I can.

Last edited:
- Completed Clinical Mastery Series Neuro 1 and Neuro 2.
Scored average on Neuro 1 raw score 20, and a little above average on Neuro 2 raw score 22.

Have yet to review the right and wrong answers.

Marks 1st pass Completion of ALL Clinical Mastery Series. ;)

My experience with these questions have been nearly one blow after another to my confidence with mostly mediocre performances. I am not satisfied with that because I believe I am capable of doing better.
I will review them as best that I can, I know when I make notes and review these questions, I will be able to do very well on these questions in the future.

Now main focus will be on UW, NBMES, UWSA, and review of Clinical Mastery Series Questions up until the exam.

Will update later.

EDIT:
- Finished reviewing UW block 2 of 2, that I did many days ago.

Current Plan:
1.) Do 4-6 blocks of UW questions a day on non-clinical days. Do 2-4 blocks of UW questions on clinical days. Read ALL explanations 2nd time through and 3rd time through. If I feel that I am running out of time for my 3rd run, I will Read explanations for WRONG and UNSURE ONLY answers 3rd time through. Trying to go through UW two more times before I hit my exam.
2.) Read 40 pgs MTB 2 a day, Finish reading Ob, Gyn, and Surgery from MTB 3.
3.) Take remaining self assesments.
4.) Review Clinical Mastery Series questions, and Step 2 CK and Step 1 High Yield Review in the back of the book a day before my exam.

EDIT2:
- Read 40 pgs MTB 2.

Will update later.

pg 330/568

EDIT3:
- Did and Reviewed 88 qs in UW. Read ALL explanations.
I am trying to finish UW twice before my exam, therefore, will not be taking any notes.

EDIT4:

- Reviewed Clinical Mastery Series Neuro Shelf 2.
Underestimated how long it would take to do this, was exceedingly hard to find any discussions regarding this shelf. Had to refer to uptodate and wiki to figure out the answers. Some of which I still don't know are right or not.

Last edited:
- Did 6 blocks X 44 qs of UW already = 264 questions.

Will spend the rest of the day reviewing them and reading MTB2.

Going for 260+ on this exam, going to give it my best.

Will update later.

EDIT1:

- Read ALL explanations for 5 blocks except for:
Behavior Science or Acid Base Disorder questions explanation, For these just read the question and the UW concept line.

Thankful to have gotten so much done was up since 6:30 am, currently 11 pm. Going to keep on going, still have some more work to do for today.

Will update later.

EDIT2:
New Plan of action for 2nd Run of UW:
Read explanations for WRONG and MARKED Only for my 2nd run of UW. Also will read ALL explanation for any questions with Algorthims, and Drug Ads for practice.

It takes way too long to read all explanations, in the sense that it will leaves me in a very tight situation to complete my other targets for the day such as reading MTB and reviewing my NBME and Clinical Rotation coursework, what not.

EDIT3:
- Reviewed last block for today, Read explanations for marked and wrong answers ONLY.

EDIT4:

- Read 40 pgs MTB2.

On page 371/568

Last edited:
- Did 264 qs of UW.
6 blocks X 44 questions.

Will update later.

EDIT1:

- Reviewed marked and wrong answers ONLY for all 6 blocks.
I feel it now, this was a much better use of my time. Instead of recramming all explanations, this is a more focused and localized use of my time to improve in my final days before the exam.

I mark any question that I either guess, 50/50s, and the ones if I am not at least 90% sure when ruling out other wrong choices. This has worked for me in the past, so keeping to it.

I feel the difference, this will work.

Will update later.

EDIT2:

- Read 40 pgs MTB.
on pg 412/568.

Last edited:
- Completed 6 blocks of UW, 6X 44 = 264 questions.
Yet to review them.

Will update later.

EDIT:

- Reviewed marked and wrong answers ONLY for all 6 blocks.
I feel it now, I'm getting it. I'm getting it now.

Will take an NBME 6 in about 4-5 days to see where I stand.

Going all out for that 260+.

EDIT2:

- Read around 40 pages of MTB 2.
On pg 454/568.

EDIT 3:

- Finally got around to reviewing all mistakes for Clinical Mastery Series Neuro 1 Shelf. Uptodate I feel is totally perfect to use here to make sure the answers are right. I feel very enlightened after getting some of these questions wrong and reviewing them.

Last edited:
- Finished reading Ob from MTB 3.

- Read 40 pgs MTB 2.
On page 494/568.

- Did 44 qs UW.
Yet to review them. Will update later after I complete more work.

EDIT1:

- The whole stages of labor and differentiating prolonged stage 1 in active latent, was giving me some issues. But I finally took care of it and understood it.
MTB 3's OB section is much better than MTB2's.

- Did another block of 44 qs of UW.

Reviewed all marked and wrong answers ONLY.

Thankful for the amount I got done today.

I will begin to sleep minimum 6 hours every day now. Then when I am around 11 days out, I will be sleeping 8 hours every day. It's what I did before Step 1, and I plan to do the same thing again.

Giving it my very best in shooting for that 260+.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
-Finished reading Gyn in MTB 3.

- Did and reviewed 88 qs in UW.

- Reviewed NBME 4, and 3 notes, as well as Clinical Mastery Series Notes.
Did not get a chance to read the 40 pages of MTB 2, will do my best to make up for that tomorrow.

- Finished Radiology & Emergency Medicine in MTB 3.
On pg 322 of Surgery section MTB 3.

- Read 80 pgs and completed MTB2.
Marks 4th pass Completion MTB 2. ;);););)

Showdown with NBME 6 tomorrw + 4 blocks of UW to simulate full length exam.

-Took NBME 6 + 4 blocks of 44qs each from UW today.
Scored slightly higher than my last NBME, but still need to push as I feel I can do much better.

I have to be extra careful reviewing these questions today. I noticed one or two concepts similar to the questions I got wrong in Clinical Mastery Series that I ended up getting wrong again today.
I have to really make sure that I am studying the correct information for those two concepts and fix my notes if the discrepancy was a mistake on my behalf or was just a result of me misunderstanding or misreading the question.
I learned early on in my Step 1 prep that some individuals tend to be overly confident about posting and explaining wrong nbme answer choices in some threads. Therefore, I cross check my info with uptodate, so this shouldn't be much of a problem.

The UW blocks afterward actually felt harder than the NBME, and it's my second time through. I think this was a result of my first taste of the 8 block run through, and felt fairly tired amidst this process.
However, I know that this experience today prepares me to do even better next time.
Will take UWSA next week. Shooting for the stars.

Will update later after I complete more work.

EDIT:

- Took my sweet time going over UW explanations for the ones I got wrong and marked ONLY.
Should have went through these in less time, but brain needed some recuperation after sitting through 8 blocks today.

Current plan for next few weeks until exam:
1.) Begin 5th read MTB2, 52 pages a day with UW notes in them.
2.) 4-6 blocks on UW on non-clinical days. (2-4 blocks on clinical days.)
3.) Make notes and memorize random tidbits of important guidelines from uptodate as per pholston's suggestion in pdf.
4.) Take UWSA, NBME 7, and Free 150.

Will update later.

EDIT2:
Felt a bit down about my NBME score not being where I wanted it to be, I let it affect me and ended up not doing any work for the rest of the night.

Will turn things around and go through my NBME today. I know I'll be able to do this.

Last edited:
-Took NBME 6 + 4 blocks of 44qs each from UW today.
Scored slightly higher than my last NBME, but still need to push as I feel I can do much better.

I have to be extra careful reviewing these questions today. I noticed one or two concepts similar to the questions I got wrong in Clinical Mastery Series that I ended up getting wrong again today.
I have to really make sure that I am studying the correct information for those two concepts and fix my notes if the discrepancy was a mistake on my behalf or was just a result of me misunderstanding or misreading the question.
I learned early on in my Step 1 prep that some individuals tend to be overly confident about posting and explaining wrong nbme answer choices in some threads. Therefore, I cross check my info with uptodate, so this shouldn't be much of a problem.

The UW blocks afterward actually felt harder than the NBME, and it's my second time through. I think this was a result of my first taste of the 8 block run through, and felt fairly tired amidst this process.
However, I know that this experience today prepares me to do even better next time.
Will take UWSA next week. Shooting for the stars.

EDIT:

- Took my sweet time going over UW explanations for the ones I got wrong and marked ONLY.
Should have went through these in less time, but brain needed some recuperation after sitting through 8 blocks today.

Current plan for next few weeks until exam:
1.) Begin 5th read MTB2, 52 pages a day with UW notes in them.
2.) 4-6 blocks on UW on non-clinical days. (2-4 blocks on clinical days.)
3.) Make notes and memorize random tidbits of important guidelines from uptodate as per pholston's suggestion in pdf.
4.) Take UWSA, NBME 7, and Free 150.

Will update later.

EDIT2:
Felt a bit down about my NBME score not being where I wanted it to be, I let it affect me and ended up not doing any work for the rest of the night.

Will turn things around and go through my NBME today. I know I'll be able to do this.

Hey, I realize you may not be asking for advice in writing out this journal, but I just want to say I am not sure 5 passess of MTB2 at a rate of 52 pages a day is really going to help you that much. At this point, you've done enough MTB2 and should probably find some more question sources.

^I really appreciate the input. I had very minimal guidance in my step preparations so any advice is much heeded by me.
I read my First Aid 7 times with all of qbank and NBME notes in it, along with UW 3 times and it did work for me.
But Step 2 CK does indeed seem like a totally different beast.

It's funny you posted this, because I was actually thinking about just going through UW a 3rd time with explanations along with notes from Clinical Mastery Series and NBME notes up until the exam.

There were literally one or two questions on NBMEs that are verbatum in MTB 2 that I missed because I didn't have them memorized directly from MTB 2. I am generally a person that needs around 4-7 reads before I feel comfortable and commit the information to memory, so that is the only reason why I was thinking about going through MTB 2 a 5th time.

I already did the Clinical Mastery Series, Rx Qbank, and on Second run of UW.
I don't know if it's too late to start Kaplan bank, I figure it's better to master UW and the explanations since exam is on the May 3rd, 2015?

NBME wise I'm sitting at 230-240ish as of right now, so any advice from you or anyone else who has taken the exam will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for dropping by man.

I would suggest just sticking to UW and NBME self assessments. Anything else is way too much for an exam that's 3 weeks away. Maybe see where you scored low on NBME and just read up/re-do on those questions from UW.

I must also say that I'm impressed by all the hard work you've put in. Hopefully, it will all be worth it in the end. Hard work never goes wasted - that's just how it is! So keep going! Good luck.

I would suggest just sticking to UW and NBME self assessments. Anything else is way too much for an exam that's 3 weeks away. Maybe see where you scored low on NBME and just read up/re-do on those questions from UW.

My thoughts exactly.

I must also say that I'm impressed by all the hard work you've put in. Hopefully, it will all be worth it in the end. Hard work never goes wasted - that's just how it is! So keep going! Good luck.

Thank you for the kind words much appreciated.

At the end of the day, the way I study, is all that I know. And I do appreciate all the advice from everyone here, but it is best that I stick to my plan.

If I had an extra month to study I would have definitely went through Kaplan qbank, but I am in a race against time and would unfortunately not be able to get to it as per chessmaster's advice.
Even if what I'm doing bumps me up 5-10 points every week I still believe that I will be able to hit my goal.

@Distant, I do have Step 2 secrets and have read most of it.
I also am referring to my Step 1 FA book, which I am beginning to think was just as helpful as MTB2 as a whole. I wonder why people just don't put UW2 notes into FA Step 1 and use that for Step 2CK. lol

But thanks Distant, I will consider another read of Step 2 secrets since I do have some time off before clinicals on Monday.

Anywho, today:
4/17/2015

- Did 4 blocks of UW
Have yet to review them.

- Reread all prior NBMEs and Clinical Mastery Series NBME notes, second to third read through these.

EDIT2:
- Began 5th read of MTB 2.
Read mostly UW notes, and any text that I have highlighted or starred.
I do tend to color coat everything, but I usually highlight or star something with ink pens if I see that particular line tested in a qbank. So this read will localize the info I got wrong.

When doing UW for the first time, everytime I didn't know something I wrote it down. So the notes should be very helpful before my next assessment.
On page 53/568.

EDIT 3:

- Reviewed marked and wrong answers only of UW.

- Reviewed my NBME 6 mistakes.
This took legitimately 4 hours to go over less than 30 questions, but man do I feel so much more enlightened now. I feel I will be even more so ready with my next assessment.

Last edited:
Hey, i didnt wanna stick in my nose before in this post cuz its like your diary, but now since the door is open i have a couple of tips that might be of value.

Although i did not take the exam yet, im NOT a big fan of MTB x 5..

Options I would like you to consider include step 2 secrets: I find this book underestimated on so many levels and that most of my NBME mistakes are explained here. Its right to the point, nothing low yeild and i totally recommend it, it helped me raise my NBME score 20 points

Another option would be doing a quick review of First aid step 1, skipping the unlikely points to be tested on based on your experience with UW, NBME, CMS material.

I admire your disipline and detication. I confess that i cannot accomplish anything near to half what you do, in your clinical rotation days.

Best,

Hey, i didnt wanna stick in my nose before in this post cuz its like your diary, but now since the door is open i have a couple of tips that might be of value.

Options I would like you to consider include step 2 secrets: I find this book underestimated on so many levels and that most of my NBME mistakes are explained here. Its right to the point, nothing low yeild and i totally recommend it, it helped me raise my NBME score 20 points

Another option would be doing a quick review of First aid step 1, skipping the unlikely points to be tested on based on your experience with UW, NBME, CMS material.

I admire your disipline and detication. I confess that i cannot accomplish anything near to half what you do, in your clinical rotation days.

Best,
I don't want to disturb Indomethacin's topic but hope it will help everyone. To Indomethacin, did you find MTB CK helpful in answering the NBME or Clinical Mastery Series? I saw Pholston's guide and he said the MTB CK is really outdated. Not sure if MTB 3 was any better in correcting mistakes, outdated information.

For D1stant, what was your reason for First Aid Step 1? I saw some comments from the experiences and even Pholston said, you should have a strong Step 1 Base. Wondering how that affects those who were less on average for that.

Sorry Indomethacin, I hope you will share your feedback here as you have been and that you break some USMLE personal record and goal!

Best,

For me it is essential to read my notes 4-7 times, and since all of my notes are in MTB 2. So when I say I am reading MTB 2 for the 5th time, I really mean I am going to be reviewing my UW notes in my MTB 2 book for the 5th time. I've read the entire MTB 2 4 times, I feel comfortable with it for the most part. When I review my notes multiples times, concepts and connections start clicking everywhere in my brain, just the way I learn. Hope that clears up some confusion.

Though thanks for dropping by man, appreciate the kind words.

I don't want to disturb Indomethacin's topic but hope it will help everyone. To Indomethacin, did you find MTB CK helpful in answering the NBME or Clinical Mastery Series? I saw Pholston's guide and he said the MTB CK is really outdated. Not sure if MTB 3 was any better in correcting mistakes, outdated information.

For D1stant, what was your reason for First Aid Step 1? I saw some comments from the experiences and even Pholston said, you should have a strong Step 1 Base. Wondering how that affects those who were less on average for that.

I am almost serious when I say this. My First Aid for Step 1 is probably a better book than MTB 2 CK to score better on IM section.
It has notes from Goljan, Big Robbins, Kaplan qbank, Rx qbank, UW, DIT, all NBMES, UWSAs, Kaplan self assesments, and Kaplan live lecture course. Everything I could possibly need to answer most of the IM questions and pathology questions for Step 2 CK.

(After my exams, I am going to buy a new FA 2014 and build one book with everything in it. I'll take my Step 1 info (Rewrite all of my notes) and Step 2 CK (With only UW2 notes.); I think it'll build a great book. Just a note to self.)

The issue is that, Step 2 CK requires a different mindset than Step 1, and it took me a couple of months to get used to the way the questions wanted to structure my mind. So for that MTB 2 and MTB 3 were helpful to me. If I had spent time reading my FA Step 1 again, it would've taken me even longer to get adjusted to flow of things.

I have only completed a few rotations, so for me the Non-IM sections of both MTB books were very helpful, mostly in MTB 3.

If the NBMEs and clinical mastery series are any indication to how my Step 2 CK exam will be, my First Aid Step 1 knowledge (After reading it 7 times, most of it is still in my brain, thankfully) is going to be enough for the pathology and the "what is the most likely diagnosis?" questions for IM questions on the exam.

A few things I've noticed that is Step 1 heavy info tested in Step 2 CK NBME questions (UW2 covers most of this though.):

-Behavioral science section (Granted UW notes are in your first aid for step 1) is practically the same concepts asked in Step 2 CK questions. MTB 2 CK has non-existent information about this topic.
-Endocrine questions I've noticed are the nitty gritty details of up and down arrows and feedbacks, also much better in my FA Step 1 book than in the MTB 2 CK book.
-Cardio again, the physio from the qbanks in my Step 1 FA kills MTB 2 information. But the order of which to do things was a bit helpful here in MTB 2 CK.
-Renal knowing renal glomerular pathology specifics and associations is tested everywhere and my UW qbank notes gave good insight for the vasculitis diseases. Also lacking in MTB 2 CK.
-Immunology much better in FA Step 1 than in MTB 2. The blood transfusion reactions, transplant rejections, immunodeficiency syndromes, are asked over and over wherever you go. I also ended up getting some wrong because I forgot a thing here and there. I ended up rewriting a few things from First Aid Step 1 into my MTB 2, but it's something UW2 covers.
-Hematology better in FA Step 1 than in MTB 2 CK. The physiology of MCV, and coagulating factors, and hemolysis etc.
-Pharm also much better in FA STep 1 than in MTB 2, but not many questions ask the mechanism of the drug. Mostly side effects that everyone should know such as anti-M activity of TCAs, drugs of abuse side effects and treatment, etc.
-Psych I also found this also better in FA Step 1 than MTB 2.
-Non-IM sections, MTB 3 has been great, and many questions have shown up from here.

If the CK will be anything like the NBMEs and the Clinical Mastery Series questions I've done, I know it's been said before, but the questions in Step 2 CK is the ORDER to do things. I have not come across many questions that gave me two options and told me to differentiate the best initial test vs most accurate test for a disease, very seldom. CK is much more detailed than that.

I feel for Step 2 CK, the test writers expect you to know all Step 1 material, so practically anything from Step 1 is fair game.

In short: MTB 2 CK was not very helpful in my prep (MTB 3 on the other hand is a really good book for the non-IM sections), but it helps with framing the proper mindset for Step 2 CK. If you have minimal clinical experience (Like me) it'll introduce you to certain tests and treatments, stages of labor, and nonstress tests, and fetal heart rate monitoring which will be helpful for UW2. If you can do well in UW2 then you can do well on the NBMEs.

Just my 2 cents on this matter.

Sorry Indomethacin, I hope you will share your feedback here as you have been and that you break some USMLE personal record and goal!

Thanks for stopping by man, hoping for the best. I've got a good feeling about things.

Last edited:
4/18/15

- Did 5 blocks of UW X44 = 220 qs. Reviewed marked and wrong answers ONLY.

Will update later.

EDIT2:
- Read UW notes in next 50 pgs of MTB 2. Also during my 4th read I took a note of the page number for every graph and algorithim from UW in my MTB 2 book, so I looked through all of those algorithims.

On page 103/568.

EDIT3:
- Made very brief notes in orange ink directly onto the 1st page of the Preventative Medicine Chapter of MTB2 from UptoDate for the following:
Endocarditis Prophylaxis
HIV & Pregnancy
Restless Leg Syndrome
Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus
Risks & Protective factors for Ovarian CA
Ovarian cyst management

- Drew out the hearing pathway also, as per pholston's advice.

EDIT4:
- Read One chapter in USMLE Step 2 secrets.
Found the answer to a couple of Clinical Mastery Series questions here already. Amazing, will definitely complete this read before I write my next assessment.

Last edited:
- Scoped out the testing center today, fairly close to where I am.

- Finished reading USMLE Step 2 Secrets 1st pass. ;)
Took literally all day to go through this entire book, although was reading this book intermittently on clinical days,
I figured it do some good to go through it again as a review. I believe this read will help for my upcoming assessment.

Plan to sleep 8-10 hours every day starting tomorrow up until exam time.

- Finished 6 blocks of UW X 44 q = 264 qs.

Marks completion of UW 2nd pass. ;);)
2nd time pass UW overall percentage: 80%
Could have done much better, but I am confident that things will be alright.

PLAN FOR LAST REMAINING DAYS:
1.) Go through ONLY UW notes 5th time though MTB 2.
2.) Clinical Mastery Series and NBME mistakes.
3.) Review UW mistakes 2nd time through of weak areas (Will write these concepts down summarized in one simple line per wrong question on looseleaf paper and review this the night before my test)
4.) Take UWSA and NBME 7

Will update later.

EDIT1:

- Reviewed all 6 blocks and made 1-2 liner notes in a separate spiral looseleaf notebook for any question I marked and got wrong.

EDIT2:
- Reviewed UW notes ONLY in next 50 pgs of MTB 2.
on pg 153/568 of MTB 2
As I mentioned earlier, whenever I didn't know something from UW I wrote it down. I believe that my UW notes will help me out a great deal.

Will start reviewing Clinical Mastery Series questions and notes tomorrow.

Last edited:
do you recommend step 2 ck secrets ?

Yes, I recommend it to read whenever your on the bus or train due to its small size, and if you feel you've exhausted UW and need something as a quick and consolidated review.

I noticed even some guidelines in Step 2 secrets are outdated.
As long as you can keep in mind that mastering UW and UW explanations along with Clinical Mastery Series are the key to doing well and first priority. This book is an okay supplement and it'll help you pick up a few questions here and there.

Alright I know what I am about to type is going to sound insane.

- Made one liner notes from all marked and wrong questions for 33 blocks X 44 questions.
Went quickly through blocks until I came across wrong or marked questions ONLY and made 2 liner notes.
I was going at lightning speed skimming through these blocks I had already done. The process came down to doing this:
Penicillin allergic rash + Primary Syphillis in man? = Give Doxycyline. Boom! Next.
What is normal in brain death? Deep tendon reflexes, boom next.
So this was totally doable as unreasonable as this may seem.

I know many will disagree with going through UW this third time or whatnot, but for me I need this revision.
My second run of UW, I made NO notes, I should have; the repetition helps me. I feel doing this today helped tremendously with the retention and understanding of the info.
I feel much calmer about things after doing this. All this took around 12.5 hrs.

Did 6 blocks revision yesterday. Around 12 or so blocks way from completing this entire UW revision.

Everyday I am going to sleep at 10 pm on the dot and waking up at 6 am on the dot

Will update later.

EDIT 2:

- Reading UW notes ONLY in MTB 2 book.
On pg 203/568 of MTB 2.

11 days out.

Last edited:
- Completed revision of marked and wrong answers ONLY of 12 blocks UW, and wrote 2-3 liner notes per those questions.
I am very thankful for this revision as I feel this was the last piece of the puzzle I needed to understand and retain UW firmly.

Will update later.

EDIT:

- On pg 253/568.
Reading UW notes ONLY.

Will spend rest of day reviewing Clinical Mastery Series/NBME notes and reviewing some Ob/Gyn, Urinary Incontinence, and Developmental material.

EDIT2:

- Reviewed all Clinical Mastery Series & NBME notes thus far a total of 8 pages of small handwriting took about two hours doing so.

EDIT3:
Went on a walk today to target and bought some groceries. Usually I'm in and out, but spent nearly an hour. Needed the walk and fresh air.

- Reread OB and Gyn from USMLE Step 2 secrets for the 2nd time.

- Reviewed Stress, Urge, and Overflow incontinence from my FA Step 1. Made solid wiki notes back in the day helped me answer 5 incontinence questions on my Step 1 exam.

- Read Molar Pregnancies, Preganancy complications and some of my NBME, UW1, and Kaplan notes in the Reproductive chapter in First Aid 1.

I plan on taking UWSA tomorrow.

Showdown tomorrow, I believe things will all be alright.
Will probably add 4 UW blocks to stimulate full length exam.

10 days out.

Last edited:
Hi, just thought to suggest that you might want to consider not solving UW blocks now, but just reading up explanations of questions you previously got wrong or you're weak at. Also, I would suggest reading just the "educational objective" bit of ALL Uworld questions because they are quite high yield and give a quick revision in last days. Don't solve UW blocks now, that's a bit too much now. I took the exam today and lived through my worst nightmare. But anyway, keep working hard and you'll be fine.

- Completed UWSA and 4 UW blocks today to simulate the full length exam.
A little disappointed, because this could've went better. However, I am firstly thankful for the progress and strongly feel that I am in striking distance of my goal. Will try to do even better now.

Maybe it's just me, but I only noticed 5-10 questions per block of Step 2 CK material that I've studied. The rest felt like Step 1 material on this particular UWSA. Perhaps just my perspective due to the overlap, but I felt that was really strange.

Ob/Gyn and Psych was one of my best scores this time around so reviewing the weak areas helped. Surgery was alright. Medicine went good which I attribute to my first two years of medical school and Step 1 prep.
Apparent weak areas seem to be Respiratory, Blood&Immunologic Disorders and Pediatrics.

Will push myself to my very best to do well.

I feel very comfortable with the concepts in UW now, the 3rd time was the charm for me. Very thankful for that.

Will update later.

@PeurtoRico
Thanks for stopping by man. It's just that I always did 138 UW qs a day up until my Step 1 exam and it worked for me. It was my daily dose of questions that kept me calm and thinking.

But I will definitely revisit the last objective lines in UW and I do plan on working on these weak area, I think things will be alright. I appreciate the help.

And I'm sure you did good man, as long as you work hard, you will do good. Best wishes for you grades.

EDIT2:
Just reviewed the UWSA, and I feel so much more enlightened to what I needed to fix in my mindset. My base is really strong from all of the hard work I've done, I missed a detail here and there that cost me some silly mistakes.

I will be very attentive to minimize the silly mistakes to the best that I can.

I'm going for that 260 on this exam, I can feel it.

9 days out!

Last edited:
- Reviewed 4 blocks last liners and read the explanations only if I had last minute doubts.

Will try to go through ALL last liners and Clinical Mastery Series questions by Sunday of this week.

I believe that this revision will solidify and last minute doubts that will push me over the edge to get the score I believe I am capable of scoring.

Will update later.

EDIT1:

@noxe, thanks for stopping by man, I really appreciate the kind words. It means a lot that I am able to inspire people. That's what I think life is all about, work to be the best that you can be in every aspect of your life.

Anywho,
- Finished another 10 block of last liners and read explanations. Going at a super slow pace today, not totally satisfied with that.

But have come to realize that this fight is not over yet. Got to keep pushing to get that 260.

EDIT2:

-On pg 273/568

Disappointed with the amount of work I got done today, will push myself to go through 70 pgs of MTB 2 because I believe my notes from UW are very valuable. And will continue going through all remaining blocks last liners from UW tomorrow.

Going to keep pushing. I know I can do this.

8 days out.

Last edited:
Been following your journal, wanted to wish you the best of luck. I am sure you will reach your goal. Seeing you work so diligently has motivated me to step up my game!

- On page 355/568 MTB 2.
Reviewing these UW notes this many times, have nearly engraved them to my memory. Very thankful for that.

Will update later.

EDIT1:

Reviewed ALL Education objectives for 24 blocks of UW minus the drug ads (Will review these on this coming Monday).

12 more blocks to go then I'll be done with all of UW Education Objectives. Will push to finish it tonight before 10 pm hits.

Will update later.

EDIT 2:

Only able to finish 5 blocks. It's 9:56pm right now, so I will do my best to go through those remaining 7 blocks early on tomorrow.

Plan for Tomorrow:
Review UWSA a second time along with review of Clinical Mastery Series questions.

Worked very hard, and will keep pushing to work even harder, I can feel that I'm capable of getting that 260.

7 days out!

Last edited:
- Finished reviewing the Educational Objectives of the remaining 7 blocks X 44 qs of UW.
Marks completing of reading ALL Educational Objectives in UW.
;)

Will update later.

EDIT1:

- Did all NBME Clinical Mastery Series questions that I got CORRECT ONLY. Since these answers, I can be 110% confidence with.
Was definitely a struggle going through these, I know doing this will help, but it was almost as if my mind didn't want to do this. I kept telling myself just a little more, just a little more and I got through them. Very thankful.

Will still keep pushing, it's not over yet, every bit I can do before the exam will only help.

Will update after I complete more work. Still have around 3-4 hours left in my day before I have to go to sleep.

- On pg 396/568.

Off to bed now, clinicals start up again tomorrow and get some reading done.
Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays. Psychiatry 8am-6pm, looking forward to it.

6 days out!

Last edited:
First day of psych rotations had an amazing day. Despite my interest in cardiology and surgery, I am a huge fan of psychiatric cases; I really like watching movies like Shutter Island(2010) and today felt surreal experience. There were three other students and one doctor doing consults and rounds today. Just wanted to share a few cases of my experience today.

- A man that began suffering PTSD after losing his 9 month pregnant wife in a motor vehicle accident where he was a driver. And he has had blackouts during his PTSD attacks and killed two people over the course of 30-40 years. Doctor believed he may have had antisocial personality disorder as well.

- There was this 19 year old girl that looked like she was straight of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011) movie (Hairstyle wise and exceedingly thin.), she was scaringly (I know this is probably not a word.) seductive and was getting men to pay for her bills and expenses. She didn't have any tattoos or piercings; saying she doesn't like pain of any kind. She also mentioned extreme fear of police officers since she was a child.

- An obese 9th grader female with narcissistic personality disorder that was exceedingly polite and proper in her speech saying how she'd be a great lawyer of our time, and how keeping her here is doing the world harm.

- A man who believed he was the chosen one, he believed he was Jesus. Was unfortunate on how convinced he was, and he would not take his medication.

- A schizophrenic who later confessed that the voices in his head were telling him to say no, if the doctor asked if he was hearing any voices.

- Another schizophrenic who was on a fast for 14 days so God can "touch him." Was drinking water and juice, and said he's done a fast like this before.

I usually don't document my clinical days experience, but this was such an amazing day where I felt like I got to see almost all of the diseases that I've read about of psychiatry in one day.

Will update later after I complete some CK studying.

EDIT1:

- On page 457/568.
Reading UW notes only, I am remembering things very strongly; very thankful for this feeling.

5 days out!

Last edited:
Will try to get much more work done today, it's not over yet. Have to keep pushing.

-Finished reviewing reading educational objectives for ALL, and read explanations for marked and wrong ONLY for Block #4 of UWSA.
3 blocks remaining to review.

Will update after clinicals today.

- On page 506/568.
Feeling very very comfortable with UW concepts and information thus far.

Will update later.

- Finished reviewing reading educational objectives for ALL, and read explanations for marked and wrong ONLY for Block #1 of UWSA.
2 blocks remaining to review.

I must finish the UWSA review by tomorrow. I plan on taking NBME 7 on thursday.

Tomorrow is the last clinical day of the week thankfully.

4 days out!

Last edited:
- Finished reviewing reading educational objectives for ALL, and read explanations for marked and wrong ONLY for Block #3 of UWSA.
2 blocks remaining to review.
1 block remaining to review.

EDIT1:

- Finished reviewing reading educational objectives for ALL, and read explanations for marked and wrong ONLY for Block #2 of UWSA.
Finished reviewing UWSA second time through.

EDIT2:

- On page 558/568
Should have these last few pages completed by tomorrow.

Showdown with NBME 7 tomorrow, did not get much studying done these past few days because of clinicals and because I have been sleeping at least 7-8 hours.

But going for it with my very best. I know I'll be able to do this with all the work I have put in thus far.

Also have to write my core rotation exams around noon, so will complete NBME 7 in the morning when I wake up, and will use the school exam time from 12-3ish I guess it'll serve as another semi mock full length exam day. This will be my 3rd full length mock exam.

3 days out!

Last edited:
- Took NBME 7 today.
Still an improvement over most of my past assessments, although I feel I am capable of doing better.
I believe once I learn from these mistakes I made today, I'll be able to achieve my goal and do very well.
It is currently 10:07 am.

Have to write school core exams at 12:00pm, so will study the notes I made for those exams in this next hour or so that I have before I go to the testing center.

PLAN FOR TODAY:
Review these NBME mistakes and learn from them strongly so they don't happen again.

Will update later.

EDIT1:

So today I ended up walking around the test center and went to eat at a french restaurant (where they didn't speak french, I was really disappointed since I can speak french fairly well.), went to some cheesecake factory and checked around some stores while I was waiting for my roommate to finish taking his core exams. Sort of had a 3 hour break for myself, which I don't think I've taken in the past 2 and a half years since medical school. Felt quite nice to just sight see for once.

Anywho,

- Finished 5th pass of MTB 2 (UW notes ONLY).;););););)

- Finished reviewing all mistakes of NBME 7.
I feel very enlightened from seeing my mistakes. Very thankful too see my errors before the exam. I know this is going to be well worth it, will give it my very best on exam day to minimize the errors I have made thus far.

PLAN FOR LAST TWO DAYS:
- Review Resp UW2 notes & Resp FA Step 1
- Behavioral Science FA Step 1
- Review Ob&Gyn UW2 notes
- HPV algorithims
- PPD algorithims

Will take free 131 tomorrow.

Will update later.

2 days out!

Last edited:
I plan to write my CK exam by the middle of August and my goal is to score a 250

in two days this thread will be inactive, i hope you don't mind indomethacin
of me continuing it..and following your footsteps...
and we both achieve our goal just like obecalp did...
Good luck

EDIT: Update @ 1800(6pm) : Sorted UW Online 59 Blocks
Progress comes in small steps

Last edited:
@rahulmbbs, I am humbled that I was able to inspire you and I sincerely wish you great success that you go on to do great things.
Although this thread may be forgotten, the experiences I have shared will be passed on and that's what I think is most important.

I think if you start your own thread and build a journey of your own, you may do even better than I have been doing. And I say this with all sincerity.
The best thing is to be inspired, and to take that inspiration to do great things to make a better you with your own special identity. I'd much rather be known as me, than "that guy who carried on someone else's thread."

Nonetheless, I would only feel comfortable a person continuing this thread if they post here everyday with constant updates to show consistency, and take their exam around the time they have stated.
I don't know how much carrying on this thread will mean to to you, but I think you should give it a slight thought about building a journey of your own that may inspire even more people.

Today,
- Finished reading FA Step 1 Resp.
- Finished reading UW2 notes Resp in MTB 2.
- Finished reading short Pulmonology chapter in USMLE Step 2 Secrets.

Will update later.

EDIT1:

- Finished reviewing Immunodeficiency Syndromes & Drugs from FA Step 1.

EDIT2:
- Finished rereading UWSA notes and NBME 7 notes.

- Finished reading Gyn UW2 notes in MTB 2.

EDIT3:
- Finished reading Ob UW2 notes in MTB 2.

I was supposed to take the free 131 today, but will do it tomorrow. That way, I will have already read up on the areas that needed some work on.

EDIT4:

- Finished reading Behavioral Science in FA Step 1.

Will do Free 131 tomorrow.

1 day out!
(As in not counting today, exam is this sunday.)

Last edited:
Can Never be like you @indomethacin ..
Good luck and keep hard work going

I graduated with one of the lowest college GPAs in my entire undergrad class. After I graduated undergrad, I turned everything around for the better. Hard work goes a long way.
If I can do it, anyone can do it. Believing is more than half the battle.

Thank you for the kind words.

- Finished doing the Free 131 today.
Could have gone better, but I can say that I feel I am in striking distance of my goal.
Very thankful for the progress that I have made and the things that I know now.

I will look over these mistakes strongly today and will walk into the test center tomorrow with the utmost confidence in the things that I know.

Will update later.

EDIT1:

- Finished reviewing the mistakes and questions that I was confused with and made 2-3 liner notes. Read these over after I wrote them down.
Can say that I feel fairly comfortable with most of the questions that were asked on this Free Form.

PLAN FOR TODAY:
- Read Surgery in MTB 3
- Pathophys, presentation and treatments of the different types of urinary Incontinence
- HPV, PPD, and other algorithims
- Neuroanatomy gross cross sections on webpath and google
- Brainstem clinical lesions from HY Neuroanatomy
- Review pictures of bugs in micro section of FA Step 1.

Trying to keep the studying light today, and will finish studying most likely by 4-6 pm tonight.

Already have my cereal bars ready for tomorrow, will buy some food and drinks and will pack lunch later on.

Really thankful for everything I've done and the support on this forum.

EDIT2:
- Pathophys, presentation and treatments of the different types of urinary Incontinence (COMPLETED)
- Neuroanatomy gross cross sections on webpath and google(COMPLETED)
- Brainstem clinical lesions from HY Neuroanatomy (COMPLETED)
- Review pictures of bugs in micro section of FA Step 1. (COMPLETED)

EDIT3:

- Read Surgery in MTB 3 (COMPLETED)
- HPV, PPD, and other algorithims (COMPLETED)

Right now it is 3:20 pm, I think I am mostly done with the studying for the day. Will have a quick look over algorithims later, and will also possibly look over rapid review of FA Step 1 later tonight before I go to sleep.

Off to make food for tomorrow, and do some laundry.

Will update later.

EXAM TOMORROW.

Last edited:
Could have gone better, but I can say that I feel I am in striking distance of my goal.

I will look over these mistakes strongly today and will walk into the test center tomorrow with the utmost confidence in the things that I know.

Will update later.

EDIT1:

- Finished reviewing the mistakes and questions that I was confused with and made 2-3 liner notes. Read these over after I wrote them down.
Can say that I feel fairly comfortable with most of the questions that were asked on this Free Form.

PLAN FOR TODAY:
- Read Surgery in MTB 3
- Pathophys, presentation and treatments of the different types of urinary Incontinence

Trying to keep the studying light today, and will finish studying most likely by 4-6 pm tonight.

Already have my cereal bars ready for tomorrow, will buy some food and drinks and will pack lunch later on.

EDIT2:
- Pathophys, presentation and treatments of the different types of urinary Incontinence (COMPLETED)

EDIT3:

Right now it is 3:20 pm, I think I am mostly done with the studying for the day. Will have a quick look over algorithims later, and will also possibly look over rapid review of FA Step 1 later tonight before I go to sleep.

Will update later.

EXAM TOMORROW.

Good luck man,i am pretty sure that you will have at least 260.Please do not forget to write your exam experience as well.

Will update later.

EDIT1:

PLAN FOR TODAY:
- Read Surgery in MTB 3

EDIT2:

EDIT3:

Will update later.

EXAM TOMORROW.

Hey @indomethacin_, Long time lurker here but I've been following your journal. Hope the test went well for you. My exam is in 2 weeks and was wondering if I could get some feedback after taking it. How did you feel while take it? Anything you wish you did differently? How do you suggest, I use my last two weeks to prepare? Look forward to your feedback. Thanks and enjoy your freedom :)

Hey guys, meant to post this yesterday.

Sources I used:
1.) MTB 2 & MTB 3
2.) UW qbank
3.) Rx qbank
4.) USMLE Step 2 Secrets
5.) First Aid Step 1
6.) Pestana's Surgery notes
7.) Clinical Mastery Series
8.) NBMEs & UWSA
9.) Pholston's PDF for advice (GOLDEN) and Up to date to check if I had any doubts with UW or NBME answers

How I studied:
1.) Read MTB 2 twice, finished Rx qbank, and then took my first NBME and failed it.

2.) Started UW along with reading MTB 2 third time and reading MTB 3 for the first time. Made notes on anything I did not know and anything I found important. Read ALL explanations even for the ones I got right I put all notes into MTB 2.
Took my second NBME, score went up 25 points.

3.) Read MTB 2 third time and MTB 3 second time and repeated UW again without taking notes and just reading explanations. Took third NBME score went up 5-10 points.

4.) Did all Clinical Mastery Series questions 100 qs a day in 6 days. Took a picture of all questions and made notes directly into MTB 2. Took another NBME score went up 5-10 points.

5.) Reviewed all educational objectives in UW and then took UWSA.
6.) Reviewed weak areas and took NBME 7 five days before exam, and Free 131 from USMLE website day before my exam.
DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU, AS LONG AS YOU CAN REMEMBER, UNDERSTAND, AND RECALL THE INFO, THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS.

Exam experience:
- Felt harder than Step 1 but I was strangely much more calm throughout. Also I didn't feel as depressed walking out, I was nervous up to the point that I was laughing. So I really don't know...a bit scared with my reaction to be honest. Like I said, I was really upset walking out of Step 1, but I was sort of apathetic walking out of this test. I marked 6-8 questions per block. Block 7 marked 10 questions. Overall I'd like to think that it went good. I felt if someone can understand UW2, they can do really well on this exam.

- Only had 1 drug ad with 3 questions, super long and super hard. Was in my 7th block of 8 and felt like I got uppercut to my face. But I was thankful it was just one drug ad.
- A lot of immuno. Review FA Step 1 immuno chapter.
- Know how the presentation, management of diagnosis, management of treatment, and pathophysiology of stress, urge, and overflow incontinence.
- Know the rinne and weber tests for conductive and sensineural deafness and know examples of things that can cause the two different types of deafness.
- 40-45% of my exam felt like Step 1 material recall.
- Know all of the leukemias, had 5 questions on CML!
- Know the childhood bone disorders of congenital hip dysplasia, osgood schlatter, and leg calves perthes disease.
-Know guidelines for PPD & HPV.
- Know all options for contraceptions and in which scenario they are indicated.
- NO BIOCHEM questions on my exam.
- 1 or 2 Chromosome Genetics questions on my exam.
- A LOT of biostat questions with number needed to treat, bias types, and study types.
- Xray differentiations of pneumothorax, from pleural effusion, etc.
- Know the effects of maneuvers on the heart sounds.
- Felt harder than all NBMEs, but felt closest to a mix between UWSA and NBME 7.
- Know risk factors and preventions for major types of cancers such as ovarian, endometrial, lung, thyroid cancers.
- Know the difference between basal cell and squamous cell carcinoma location on the face.
- Know the bone tumors such as osteochondroma and how it looks on xray vs how osteosarcoma looks on xray.
- Know the side effects of ALL drugs of abuse and drugs in the psych chapter of MTB. Lithium, Cocaine, Benzodiazepines, Marijuana etc.
- Know how to manage acute HAV infection, is it supportive care? Immune globulin, or HAV vaccine as a 1st step? (I didn't know this one.)
- Know how to manage aneursym rupture. Do you do immediate surgery or give drugs to decrease blood pressure first? (I put do surgery.)

FOCUS ON THE BEST NEXT STEP, FOR EXAMPLE:

Do you elevate head first or do you put the airway first in a person who has difficulty breathing?
ANSWER: It DEPENDS.
- If person has facial trauma with gurgling sounds, you do cricothrotomy.
- If a person has aspiration pneumonia then you elevate head first.
There are NOT that many questions that will ask the difference between most accurate vs initial.
So remember you need to know what do you do next from the first thing all the way down to the day the patient gets better and goes home.
In short I recommened:
1.) Use MTB 2 and MTB 3 to help build the skeleton of a foundation which is necessary to build upon.
2.) Do either Rx OR Kaplan qbank before you do UW, IF you have the time. This will orient your mind to the kinds of questions Step 2 CK expects you to know.
3.) IF you have 2-3 months to study or are very low on time, or second qbank is to Focus on UW and go through all of it 2-3 times before the exam. Know all of the scenarios and managements in all of the given scenarios. Read ALL explanations even if you get it right and make notes. I felt my exam was very close to the scenarios and concepts of UW.
4.) Do all clinical mastery series and do nbmes to monitor your progress. Save UWSA and NBME 7 for last since they are the closest thing to the exam.
5.) Should probably be listed as number 1, but believe in the work that you've done have faith that the preparation you do will help you get the score that you are shooting for.

Hey @indomethacin_, Long time lurker here but I've been following your journal. Hope the test went well for you. My exam is in 2 weeks and was wondering if I could get some feedback after taking it. How did you feel while take it? Anything you wish you did differently? How do you suggest, I use my last two weeks to prepare? Look forward to your feedback. Thanks and enjoy your freedom :)

Thank you man, I appreciate the kind words from everyone. A bit nervous with how the results will go since a lot of the question answers felt very subjective where it felt like I was guessing between 2 answers.

It was hard, but it felt doable, my questions surprisingly were NOT overly long. I had enough time doing most of the blocks with 5 mins to spare most of the blocks. This is a bit scary since it wasn't like this for most people.

I think I did all I could have possibly done, so until I get my grade I won't really know what worked and what didn't work. I would have probably paid more attention to risk factors and prevention of all diseases and cancers from up to date, I felt this was very high yield overall on my exam.

Last two weeks focus on self assessments, clinical mastery series, and uw explanations and educational objectives as per Peurto Rico's advice during my prep.

And no freedom yet my friend, off to study for Step 2 CS. But I will update when I get my results, hope I pass with a decent score. Good luck and take care.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
@indomethacin_ Well done in your preparation. You displayed Very Impressive hard work.
Your Story Relates to me in a way, I have failed MS2 and graduated with a very Low GPA as well. I am constantly struggling to redeem my self.
I would like to say Thank you so much on behalf of all SDN members for being a live example of "Never giving up" and a truly a remarkable inspiration in this forum.
I wish you success in your career, gym, life and future endeavors. And I wish you the high score you have shown that you deserve.
And thank you for the complete exam review and experience, I will definitely take it into my consideration giving my exam in the end of this month.

Respect,
Hashem

Last edited: