Individual grades vs. overall?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rayatbh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have one C in my transcript in ochem II and the rest of my grades are mostly As and some Bs. I think I can still end up with a 3.8+ GPA as long as there is no other major slip ups like this.

Would having a C in a prerequisite course, but still having an okay overall GPA lower my chances of getting into a top school?

I know there's a lot of factors and luck involved, but was wondering if anyone had an idea or anecdotal evidence of getting in somewhere highly ranked in a situation like this.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I have one C in my transcript in ochem II and the rest of my grades are mostly As and some Bs. I think I can still end up with a 3.8+ GPA as long as there is no other major slip ups like this.

Would having a C in a prerequisite course, but still having an okay overall GPA lower my chances of getting into a top school?

I know there's a lot of factors and luck involved, but was wondering if anyone had an idea or anecdotal evidence of getting in somewhere highly ranked in a situation like this.

Thank you.
  1. People get into great schools with grades like yours all the time.
  2. Fretting about the past won't change anything, so stop torturing yourself.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

What will your BCPM GPA be if you end with a cGPA of 3.8+?

It will probably be around a 3.7
With stats that high, it is unlikely your transcript will undergo detailed, item-by-item scrutiny. Your C in Ochem II will not hold you back from a top school acceptance. Even if it's noticed, a decent grade in Biochem would redeem it.

Of course, you have yet to add the next importance piece that goes into decision-making, namely your MCAT score. And following that, you'd need some impressive ECs to keep their attention.