\\---Indiana University School of Medicine Class of 2012 Thread---//

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got a letter from IU today... Thought it was the placement.
Turns out it's just a reminder to send the transcripts when they're ready... Wow...

:mad: How frustrating!

Members don't see this ad.

When I scoured last year's threads in an attempt to pinpoint when they were sent last year, there wasn't any indication from anyone that they were notified electronically. I'm guessing probably not this year either, since they seem to send most correspondence (with the exception of financial aid) through snail mail.

Eddie, I got the transcript request letter today. Thanks again for the warning. Argh!

Members don't see this ad :)
By looking at last years thread:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=335146&page=3

Looks like people received the "transcript" letter on May 7th. They received their assignments on May 10th.
However, the guy who got the transcript letter called the next day and they told him the assignments on the phone!

It may or may not mean that assignment day is pretty close :)
It was depressing to read that thread though... Way too many people got their 5th choice or worse...

mid-June??? Ugh!

Well, thanks for sharing what you found out.

hey everyone! I just found this site and wanted to say hello to all my new classmates. I am also anxiously awaiting my campus assignment and was extremely frustrated when I got that letter from iu this week that wasn't the one I was anticipating. :smuggrin: oh well, hopefully we'll find out really soon!

Thanks, Tailesinrk. I don't suppose that they gave any indication as to how many letters are in the first "batch"?

I bet... Thanks for sacrificing yourself to the wolves--we all appreciate the info and are too nervous (at least I am) to try to get it ourselves. :)

Hopefully the today is the day, at least for Eddie and others in Indy! Good luck!

Any news for you Indy people regarding campus assignments?

Nothing yesterday, let's hope for today :)
Btw, here's an interesting article about sattelite campuses I read on IndyStar today:
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080430/NEWS04/80430

My brother is a doc in South Bend and he said the university asked his group about taking med students. I think they agreed. But he said there just aren't that many hospital patients up there like in Indy. His advice was to definitely try and stay in Indy for those final 2 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
My brother is a doc in South Bend and he said the university asked his group about taking med students. I think they agreed. But he said there just aren't that many hospital patients up there like in Indy. His advice was to definitely try and stay in Indy for those final 2 years.

exactly.. there's just no way that if you were there for a full two years, you would receive an equivalent education in SB than Indy

I finally worked up the courage to call this morning to check on letters. I was told that the first batch of letters went out yesterday. When I asked if there was any way to check to see if I was in that batch, she said she was not allowed to give out that information. *Sigh.* She was really nice about it though, unlike some of the others you've mentioned.

Interesting article... like you all mentioned, I wonder what advantage this offers the student, especially since you are unlikely to receive the same quality of rotations (breadth of experience) at other smaller hospitals. Hmm.

Mailman came - nothing for me today in Indy.

Nothing for me in Bloomington, either.

And nothing today either...

I don't know whether or not this has been put to rest, but all students are "IUPUI" students, regardless of your campus. All of the OneStart/Oncourse/Angel online jazz will say IUPUI. Sorry to squash any hopes. Also, there was mention that you wouldn't know which campus you were assigned until June. This is false. I was waitlisted and accepted within days of the May 15 cutoff (May 22, maybe?), and I was told which campus I had been assigned to. Finally, the 4-year programs are becoming very stylish. I know that next year in Terre Haute, 8 of the 24 entering students will remain here for all four years as part of the new rural health program. The rest will go back to Indy for years 3/4. But do keep in mind that just because you are back in Indy, does not mean that all of your third/fourth year rotations will be in the city. IUSM can assign you to hospitals, outpatient centers, etc. within 45 minutes of Indianapolis for a rotation. They can also assign you to places all over the state, but if the drive is longer than 45 minutes, they will pay for your housing and make accommodations for your spouse and things of that nature. Just more food for thought. Also, to those of you who are assigned to a center, I would STRONGLY suggest e-mailing, calling, etc. the center director and student representative from that campus. A lot of people throw a big fit about being put in a center and Indianapolis is bombarded with students who are complaining about not being in Indy. Unfortunately, life is not fair and for the most part you're wasting your time. You will soon find out that it really doesn't matter where you go, the education is pretty much the same (even though the learning styles, class size, etc. may be different). Sure, Indy has advantages, but the centers have their own advantages, too. So before you get all bent out of shape (which trust me, a good number of students will), take some time to figure out what your campus is all about before you make a last ditch effort to get into your first choice. The overwhelming majority of students at my center are thankful they were assigned here and in retrospect would have not changed a thing. Good luck and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

well, i got my second choice. got my letter in the mail yesterday and I'll be in South Bend next year. I was really suprised I didn't get Indy. But I'm ok with it and excited. notre dame football tickets!

Congrats on getting your second choice, Ryan! I bet you're relieved to know where you're going. :)

I got my letter today as well. I'll be in Indy!

I'm so jealous of you guys who already got your campus assignments!!! where are you from, pretty close to indy right? i live in arizona, so i'll probably be the last to know =( anyway, congrats!

I just got my letter--I got Indy, too! See you there, MDee! :)

Good luck to everyone else waiting! Hang in there!

I just got my letter--I got Indy, too! See you there, MDee! :)

Good luck to everyone else waiting! Hang in there!

Congrats on getting Indy!! :)

Have you started looking at places to live?

Congrats on getting Indy!! :)

Have you started looking at places to live?

Thanks! Congrats to you, too! :)

Yes, actually we're buying a house near Greenwood, which is about 15-20 min south of Indy. We're super excited!

How about you? Have you found anything yet? If not, did you know about this page? http://msa.iusm.iu.edu/FinancialAid/living.asp
There are a lot of good listings and contacts on there. Lockefield Gardens is practically across the street from the med school. I think if I were single without my dogs, that's probably where I'd live. :thumbup:

Another great resource is the Indy campus survival guide:
http://msa.iusm.iu.edu/SurvivalGuide/Indy07.htm

Glad to hear we'll be classmates, MDee! :)

Well ryan - I don't have my letter yet - but put SB #1, and hope to get it. I guess maybe we'll be classmates. If you haven't already, check out the IUSB website and their video: it gives some great shots of what the med school building looks like... it appears to be pretty sweet. Also, are you familiar with the block schedule they have there?
yea, i like the block schedule. i'm looking forward to that. a friend of mine who worked in the lab i work in last summer was up there this year and liked it.

To all of you going to the Indy campus -- get going on finding places to live. I know a bunch of the outgoing 2nd years are on waitlists for places (including Lockfield). There are other apartments downtown that are new (i.e. The Waverly, and Van Rooy -- he is a developer and has a ton of new apartments downtown). I would not hesitate though, because the last thing you want to do is be on a waitlist and find out a week before classes start that you won't have a place to live.

To all of you going to the Indy campus -- get going on finding places to live. I know a bunch of the outgoing 2nd years are on waitlists for places (including Lockfield). There are other apartments downtown that are new (i.e. The Waverly, and Van Rooy -- he is a developer and has a ton of new apartments downtown). I would not hesitate though, because the last thing you want to do is be on a waitlist and find out a week before classes start that you won't have a place to live.

Thanks for the info.

Yes, actually we're buying a house near Greenwood, which is about 15-20 min south of Indy. We're super excited!

How about you? Have you found anything yet? If not, did you know about this page? http://msa.iusm.iu.edu/FinancialAid/living.asp
There are a lot of good listings and contacts on there. Lockefield Gardens is practically across the street from the med school. I think if I were single without my dogs, that's probably where I'd live. :thumbup:

Thanks for the info, IUgrad! I have spent the last few days just scouring the internet and IndyStar classifieds and I'm so overwhelmed! My goal is to find something and sign the lease within 2 weeks.

Does anyone know what the parking situation is for students at the Indianapolis campus? Can everyone get a permit? Is it expensive? Or do most students live within walking distance?

Thanks in advance!

BUMP parking question above--any current IUPUI students know where to park? I had a hard time finding a place to park (other than pay garages) when I visited.

BUMP parking question above--any current IUPUI students know where to park? I had a hard time finding a place to park (other than pay garages) when I visited.
I went there for undergrad and I always parked in the Blackford Parking garage (XF), about a 5-8 minute walk from the MS building - there is always parking there before 9AM.

Thanks for sharing this information. I called the admissions office today (Monday 5/12/08), and they informed me that I was assigned to the Indy campus as well. Strange thing is that I haven't received the letter in the snail mail yet. The admissions secretary said that they mailed out a batch of campus assignment letters last Friday (I'm assuming 5/9), so for all of you who haven't received the letter yet: don't lose hope, it should be coming soon.

Anyways, I'm scouring the site for apartments. Most of the off-campus apartments aren't furnished, right? Are on-campus apartments at IUPUI any good? Thanks!

Hey everyone! I finally got my campus assignment this week! I've been assigned to the northwest campus (my #3 choice). Well, atleast I'll be going to school 10 min from my hometown. Anyone else get Northwest?

Hey! I got my campus assignment too (finally!) Anyone else get Muncie? Anyone else ever been to Muncie? :)

Finally got my campus assignment today!

Elissa, I will be at the NW campus. Also about 10 minutes from my hometown, so I will be moving back into my childhood room. It was my second choice after Indianapolis. I was pretty disappointed, and I looked into changing it, but I think I am going to stick with it mostly because I think the curriculum is better for me.

so, i got placed in indianapolis, but my sister got placed in muncie. we want to be together. we were told by IUSM we had to find someone who would want to switch with her. anyone who got sent to indy want to spend their first two years in muncie? gosh, this is such a long shot...

Hi, I'm going to the Northwest campus. Does anyone have any suggestions about where to live? I currently live in Chicago, which would be like a 45 minute commute.

hey- i have an alternative answer for you. I got placed in muncie, and want to be in indianapolis. I would switch you muncie for indy...? :) :)

Utgill, I would not recommend commuting from Chicago every morning IF you can help it. You will end up spending 45 minutes to an hour in traffic every morning and every afternoon...it can be done, but it will be hard since class starts so early. I am not sure if you are considering moving into the area, but even if you don't want to live in Gary, there are other towns like Munster, Highland, Hammond, etc, that are a 10-15 minute drive and you will probably find them to be a bit nicer than Gary.

Do any current or future students know what brand of white coat IUSM provides? I am not sure what size to order and I wanted to look up a size chart, but I am not sure what company they use. Thanks!