Indiana (OOS) vs. Kentucky (IS) vs Louisville (IS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bengalwhodey590

Reaction score

Cost of tuition is roughly the same, so cheapest school is not a factor here. I also plan on applying for the NHSC scholarship.

Indiana

Pros:
Largest scholarship
Emphasis on diversity
Beautiful area

Cons:
Couldn’t visit during interview, so not sure on how the environment truly feels

Kentucky

Pros:
Next largest scholarship
Small class size (~60)
Focus on digital dentistry
2nd year clinicals
Safe city

Cons:
Unfamiliar with area
Lack of diversity overall

Louisville:

Pros:

Family in city (huge for me, but I don’t want to make my decision solely on this)
Familiar with area
Great environment during interview
Focus on diversity

Cons:

Larger class size (~120)
Start clinicals 3rd year
Larger/unsafer city

Thank you all so much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

How far is Indiana from Kentucky? Why don't you visit their campus?
Indianapolis is about 2 hours from where I live. No interviewees could visit the school because of their COVID guidelines, however they are offering accepted students a chance to visit in early January. I am considering going to their event, but I am weighing my options currently. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Cost of tuition is roughly the same, so cheapest school is not a factor here. I also plan on applying for the NHSC scholarship.

Indiana

Pros:
Largest scholarship
Emphasis on diversity
Beautiful area

Cons:
Couldn’t visit during interview, so not sure on how the environment truly feels

Kentucky

Pros:
Next largest scholarship
Small class size (~60)
Focus on digital dentistry
2nd year clinicals
Safe city

Cons:
Unfamiliar with area
Lack of diversity overall

Louisville:

Pros:

Family in city (huge for me, but I don’t want to make my decision solely on this)
Familiar with area
Great environment during interview
Focus on diversity

Cons:

Larger class size (~120)
Start clinicals 3rd year
Larger/unsafer city

Thank you all so much in advance!
you need to not look at tuition only
look at total cost of attendance
i cannot believe that there is not a ton of cost differential between indiana and 2 IS schools...

Reactions: 3 users
you need to not look at tuition only
look at total cost of attendance
i cannot believe that there is not a ton of cost differential between indiana and 2 IS schools...
Indiana’s scholarship helps to balance out the cost of attendance, but it is definitely more expensive. I was leaning more towards UK and Louisville simply because it would be cheaper, both are closer to my home, and I felt a welcoming atmosphere at both schools. Although I feel like having family close is a large advantage at Louisville, UK’s smaller class size, earlier clinical experience, and focus on digital dentistry is making me uncertain of my choice.

Reactions: 2 users
Indiana’s scholarship helps to balance out the cost of attendance, but it is definitely more expensive. I was leaning more towards UK and Louisville simply because it would be cheaper, both are closer to my home, and I felt a welcoming atmosphere at both schools. Although I feel like having family close is a large advantage at Louisville, UK’s smaller class size, earlier clinical experience, and focus on digital dentistry is making me uncertain of my choice.
so is it "definitely more expensive" or "roughly the same"?
it's easier for us to give advice if you give details...

so is it "definitely more expensive" or "roughly the same"?
it's easier for us to give advice if you give details...
I don’t want to give out dollar amounts for the scholarships for privacy reasons, but the difference between cost of tuitions isn’t so outrageous that I wouldn’t consider Indiana. While they are more expensive than UK and Louisville, it is not by a large margin because of the scholarship they provided me. For arguments sake, let’s say the difference is only a couple of thousand of dollars, which would be negligible to me if there was a reason that truly set them apart from other schools.

This is going to be a biased answer, but………

As a UKCD student, I could not be happier with the school and the education they provide. I’m going to graduate with experiences that I never imagined a dental student could get to experience.

Lexington is an awesome town and super safe. I love the small class size most of all. I know everyone on a personal level which makes the camaraderie that much stronger.

Reactions: 1 user
I don’t want to give out dollar amounts for the scholarships for privacy reasons, but the difference between cost of tuitions isn’t so outrageous that I wouldn’t consider Indiana. While they are more expensive than UK and Louisville, it is not by a large margin because of the scholarship they provided me. For arguments sake, let’s say the difference is only a couple of thousand of dollars, which would be negligible to me if there was a reason that truly set them apart from other schools.
you are still talking about tuition
i don't need to know your scholarship amount
what is the difference in total cost of attendance?

What year are you if you don't mind me asking?
This is going to be a biased answer, but………

As a UKCD student, I could not be happier with the school and the education they provide. I’m going to graduate with experiences that I never imagined a dental student could get to experience.

Lexington is an awesome town and super safe. I love the small class size most of all. I know everyone on a personal level which makes the camaraderie that much stronger.

Keep in mind that Kentucky takes the summer off for at least the first (maybe even two or three?) years I believe, so the early clinical experience might not make a difference compared to Louisville which goes year round. I do like how Kentucky places implants and the clinic always seems busy, but I didn’t like the lack of diversity for the school/city, so keep that in mind if that’s important to you. The large class size of Louisville doesn’t seem like a negative to me either, especially since it’s a very large, diverse group of people you can learn from and you’re divided into cohorts/smaller groups. Both schools are great, just different environments depending on what you’re looking for and COL is relatively similar.