Indian Medical Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What category do u fit in?

• Aspiring medical students

Votes: 20 36.4%
  • Medical students

Votes: 27 49.1%
  • Medical school pass outs

Votes: 8 14.5%

• Total voters

allergic2morons

An Atopic Burbie
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is for those students who were born and brought up in India and are atttending Indian medical school to discuss there agenda :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I was born and brought up in India, but attended a high school in the U.S. I then returned to India to take medical entrance exams, and have secured a seat in AFMC :)

Good luck to everyone else awaiting exam results.

zing said:
Well, I was born and brought up in India, but attended a high school in the U.S. I then returned to India to take medical entrance exams, and have secured a seat in AFMC :)

hey thats very unusual! why did u come back? AFMC is a tough exam how did u manage it and i think it would be even tougher for a person who has done his schooling ouside india!

well congratulations! :thumbup:

But i think this years interview process is yet to be completed :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
*TRINITY* said:
hey thats very unusual! why did u come back? AFMC is a tough exam how did u manage it and i think it would be even tougher for a person who has done his schooling ouside india!

You're right that this years interview process is yet to be completed. I called up and found out my rank is in the top 50, so I am hoping that means I'm through (AFMC has a yield rate of around 50%, so even a rank of say 200 should be enough). Even then, God forbid, but I may come across as a complete idiot in the interview and loose my seat...

My family moved back to India last year, so I decided to spend a year preparing for the exams here to see if I could make it somewhere. The thought of entering med school three years ahead of my friends in the U.S was quite tempting. Besides, I always considered myself Indian, and knew that I would be happy here.

zing said:
You're right that this years interview process is yet to be completed. I called up and found out my rank is in the top 50, so I am hoping that means I'm through (AFMC has a yield rate of around 50%, so even a rank of say 200 should be enough). Even then, God forbid, but I may come across as a complete idiot in the interview and loose my seat...

My family moved back to India last year, so I decided to spend a year preparing for the exams here to see if I could make it somewhere. The thought of entering med school three years ahead of my friends in the U.S was quite tempting. Besides, I always considered myself Indian, and knew that I would be happy here.

Congratulations!!!!!!!! for cracking screening test but u have completed only fifty percent of task! Physical test is tough! i dont want to scare u but two of my friends failed it! Anyway why do u want 2 join armed forces???? are u aware of 7 years bond ?

hi A2M,

wassup? have started u r 7th sem yet? i think u r terminals r over. Next tuesday my terminals r starting. My preparation is pathetic :( lets see what happens :p

What r u reading 4 ENT ? is it Dhingra or Bhargav?
Bhargav's 7th edition is quite cool and it also comes with vcd of surgeries :thumbup: but price is stip its 340 bucks compared to 180 bucks 4 sixth edition.
bye. gotta study

shardul said:
hi A2M,

wassup? have started u r 7th sem yet? i think u r terminals r over. Next tuesday my terminals r starting. My preparation is pathetic :( lets see what happens :p

What r u reading 4 ENT ? is it Dhingra or Bhargav?
Bhargav's 7th edition is quite cool and it also comes with vcd of surgeries :thumbup: but price is stip its 340 bucks compared to 180 bucks 4 sixth edition.
bye. gotta study

i'm still enjoying my vacation! I'm leaving tomorrow for holy ganges where we r having little rafting expeditons.
its suprising that u r exams r not over yet. generally nairites are first to finish! my exam was over before vacations. It really sucks to have exam after vacations. Best of luck!!!!

Well have bought both dhingra and bhargav. :thumbup: for new bhargav. Check out the prices at JJ national they are always cheaper than Bhalanis. I'm surprised u r not reading ENT simplified like other nairites.

allergic2morons said:
i'm still enjoying my vacation! I'm leaving tomorrow for holy ganges where we r having little rafting expeditons.
its suprising that u r exams r not over yet. generally nairites are first to finish! my exam was over before vacations. It really sucks to have exam after vacations. Best of luck!!!!

oh i'm jealous!
But i cant help. fellow mumbaikars dont understand what vacations means to for those from outside mumbai :( I wasted my vacations neither i could go home nor i could study. :( i hope u understand how the things go in hostels! :sleep:
well enjoy u r vacations!

Well have bought both dhingra and bhargav. :thumbup: for new bhargav. Check out the prices at JJ national they are always cheaper than Bhalanis.
Yeah i should check at JJ national

I'm surprised u r not reading ENT simplified like other nairites.

Abe lallu! how can i appear for exams without reading ENT simplified! I am in grewal unit and as u know we all now have home centres. I was thinking about supplementing ENT simplified with one another good book

shardul said:
oh i'm jealous!
But i cant help. fellow mumbaikars dont understand what vacations means to for those from outside mumbai :( I wasted my vacations neither i could go home nor i could study. :( i hope u understand how the things go in hostels! :sleep:
well enjoy u r vacations!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: mumbai is merciless city kiddo!

Hey dont u have to study???? u seems to have lot of time posting here!!!! :smuggrin:

allergic2morons said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: mumbai is merciless city kiddo!

Hey dont u have to study???? u seems to have lot of time posting here!!!! :smuggrin:
c'mon yaar u cant studying Park's at strech for more than 1/2 hr. I have read 20 pg of MCH today reading for 3 hrs straight!!!!! gimme a break! :(

A2m where are u ??????

Hi there!

I have cleared MH CET and my SML is 51 (open) and i'm from region #3. can anyone tell me my what are my chances of getting into GSMC. I am also confused what order to follow in preference form. So please help me out preference forms are to be submitted before 28th.

Is it true that the duration for Med School in Maharashtra has been increased to 7 years?

Members don't see this ad :)
monsoon said:
Hi there!

I have cleared MH CET and my SML is 51 (open) and i'm from region #3. can anyone tell me my what are my chances of getting into GSMC. I am also confused what order to follow in preference form. So please help me out preference forms are to be submitted before 28th.

Oh my god its time for gr8 grand joons! i didnt quite realise it.

U r preference list should be -
1. GSMC
2. TNMC/LTMMC ( It depends! Accomodation is deciding factor. Otherwise there is not much difference between LT and TN. But people generally tend to choose LT. I was disappointed when i didnt get LT in my first round but I had an opportunity to change over in third round but i didnt change. I know few people who changed over from tn to lt & i was told there is not much difference.From what i gather from u r post I think u r non mumbaikar so u should opt for TN
3. GMC/BJMC ( here again it depends what u r seeking. If u want to come to mumbai then u shoult opt for Grant otherewise BJ is equally good and Pune is not a bad city.)
5. GMC aurangabad - this is purely because u r from Region #3 it would be nearer to u r home. BTW where r u from Latur/aurangabad/
6.GMC Nagpur
7. IGMC nagpur
thats it beyond that i am not aware of hierarchies of lower rung colleges.

I think u have 50 -50 chance of getting into GS. At my time (June02 batch)
last 30%open seat gone to SML 60 in second round.
Best of luck!
Having said all this, r u sure u want to do medicine?

BDS-DMD said:
Is it true that the duration for Med School in Maharashtra has been increased to 7 years?

:scared: who told u? I am really sick of this rumour!

shardul thanks a lot! R u studying at TN? U r preference list and the list i made match pretty well but i have preferred LT over TN.

monsoon said:
shardul thanks a lot! R u studying at TN? U r preference list and the list i made match pretty well but i have preferred LT over TN.
my pleasure :)

shardul said:
:scared: who told u? I am really sick of this rumour!

Shardul,learn to just answer the question asked to you. Stop giving lectures.

monsoon said:
but i have preferred LT over TN.

Good decisions monsoon! All of us r eagely awaiting gr8 grand joons....u know what i mean :smuggrin: :laugh:

allergic2morons said:
Good decisions monsoon! All of us r eagely awaiting gr8 grand joons....u know what i mean :smuggrin: :laugh:

:laugh: where were u all these days?

BDS-DMD said:
Shardul,learn to just answer the question asked to you. Stop giving lectures.

uuh...oh! :scared: chill it dewd........ :p I thought u got u r answer when i said its just a rumor! & talking about lecture i never imagined saying two lines make a lecture!

shardul said:
:laugh: where were u all these days?

HMMM........ vacations r over man!!!!! when i came back from himlayas the result helped me get my foots down on earth again.. i failed in obgyn and pediatrics terminals.... i as posted till this weekend in obgyn and i really had work hard to score but in the end it paid off. I havent touched my new Park and u know how difficult it would be if i keep on postponing. Its high time that u hit the books really hard! we are going to have prelims somwhere in mid september.... so study hard and party equally hard! Yesterday i returned from Malshej Ghat and Matheran trip its wonderful i really had a blast! U must have been there. What posting do u have right now?
Today is ashadhi ekadashi so whole of afternoon session is cancelled including PSM tutorial.....what a relief ! why dont they have aashadhi ekadashi every monday??????

i got a rank of 882 in this years cbse pmt examinations. Although being from calcutta i chose GMC,Nagpur in the first round of counselling as the colleges in calcutta are not good. however, later i came to know about the bond that had to be signed. the bond is for a sum of RS 5 lacs, prohibits u from goin abroad for 5 years and u are suppose to work for govt. of maharashtra for 2 years.now some ppl back here are saying that the bond is not of much consequence as it will become null and void since the government of maharashtra is unable to provide jobs to the med graduates passing out. Is that true or should i opt for some other state during the 2nd round of counselling as I am considering goin abroad for post grad studies? Also , what other good options do i have?

allergic2morons said:
HMMM........ vacations r over man!!!!! when i came back from himlayas the result helped me get my foots down on earth again.. i failed in obgyn and pediatrics terminals.... i as posted till this weekend in obgyn and i really had work hard to score but in the end it paid off. I havent touched my new Park and u know how difficult it would be if i keep on postponing. Its high time that u hit the books really hard! we are going to have prelims somwhere in mid september.... so study hard and party equally hard! Yesterday i returned from Malshej Ghat and Matheran trip its wonderful i really had a blast! U must have been there. What posting do u have right now?
Today is ashadhi ekadashi so whole of afternoon session is cancelled including PSM tutorial.....what a relief ! why dont they have aashadhi ekadashi every monday??????

Oh everything is alright the aim of terminals is to fail us so we can work harder next time. U know how tough was our ob gyn paper was- they put a LAQ on role of USG in second trimester for 25 marks!!!!! tell me how u r supposed to answer a question like that and still manage to pass.....so just chill 13 december is quite distant. These days most of my time is spent playing Table tennins and solving Sudokus in BCR.
Yesterday somebody sent me a SMS which went somethin like-
A big book was given to student and were asked number of days it would take them to complete it. A commerce student say a year, engineering student says 6 months, law student says 2 months and medical student asks "Exam Kab Hai?" :p

How was u r posting i really hate to go to ob gyn ward :eek: there is always a peculiar odour which makes me sick. After watching so many deliveries and PV exams i thought i would loose my libido one day if i continue going there. I sincerely hope the next og gyn posting would be tolerable.
right now i'm posted in orthopedics and i am loving it! But life is tough here , i have heard houseman in our unit had not come out of OT for 3 consecutive days. No wonder why atmosphere in ortho OT is filled with profanities! :p

BTW how was u r trip to Holy Ganges ? did u spot any floating corpses in those furious rapids? ;)

bhajji said:
i got a rank of 882 in this years cbse pmt examinations. Although being from calcutta i chose GMC,Nagpur in the first round of counselling as the colleges in calcutta are not good. however, later i came to know about the bond that had to be signed. the bond is for a sum of RS 5 lacs, prohibits u from goin abroad for 5 years and u are suppose to work for govt. of maharashtra for 2 years.now some ppl back here are saying that the bond is not of much consequence as it will become null and void since the government of maharashtra is unable to provide jobs to the med graduates passing out. Is that true or should i opt for some other state during the 2nd round of counselling as I am considering goin abroad for post grad studies? Also , what other good options do i have?

Yeah u r information is quite absolutely correct! Doing u r graduation in maharashtra has its own advantages since u bcome eligible for PGM CET which is key to PG seats (maharashtra has largest number of pg seats in india). Nagpur may not be as big as Kolkata but its certainly a good place to live in except during summer when temp. reaches above 45 degrees. But beware GMC nagpur is infamous for its ragging all over maharashtra!!!! ;)

After watching so many deliveries and PV exams i thought i would loose my libido one day if i continue going there. I sincerely hope the next og gyn posting would be tolerable.
lol
OBG really sucks man .

hey... can anyone tell me how bad is ragging at gmc, nagpur.

bhajji said:
hey... can anyone tell me how bad is ragging at gmc, nagpur.
so u r scared, huh? :laugh: PM me if u want to know it in detail though i am studying in mumbai i have friends there are GMC i can ask them to take care of u :p

shardul said:
so u r scared, huh? :laugh: PM me if u want to know it in detail though i am studying in mumbai i have friends there are GMC i can ask them to take care of u :p

NOT ABT THE ARAGGING BUT U CAN ATLEAST TELL ME HOW'S THE COLL. sHOULD I CHANGE IT IF I GET PUNE OR MUMBAI?

bhajji said:
NOT ABT THE ARAGGING BUT U CAN ATLEAST TELL ME HOW'S THE COLL. sHOULD I CHANGE IT IF I GET PUNE OR MUMBAI?

yeah surely why not!!!! i am not sure about pune but mumbai is cetainly better than nagpur. I appeared for my CET from nagpur and my parents are currently based in nagpur but i didnt choose GMC nagpur. If i hadnt been able to get into medical colleges in mumbai i would have comeback to nagpur. But some people say BJMC is better than GMC nagpur..... i dont believe this coz BJMC and GMC have same pool of teachers.

*TRINITY* said:

He got in by lettin' em smell "the Green".>>>if u know what i mean. :cool:

zing said:

Which batch?

Souvik_Sen said:
He got in by lettin' em smell "the Green".>>>if u know what i mean. :cool:

Dont be cynical yaar..... but u never know..... :p Perhaps thats why Indian Army is called most corrupt institution in the country.

bhajji said:

definitely....

shardul said:
How was u r posting i really hate to go to ob gyn ward :eek: there is always a peculiar odour which makes me sick. After watching so many deliveries and PV exams i thought i would loose my libido one day if i continue going there. I sincerely hope the next og gyn posting would be tolerable.

u r talking like a layman..... :eek: afterall u r in medicine to serve people in distress, if u dont like it then i'll have to say u r wrong field.

Dont be cynical yaar..... but u never know..... Perhaps thats why Indian Army is called most corrupt institution in the country.

OMG ,where the hell did ya get that information from ????????????????

*TRINITY* said:
Dont be cynical yaar..... but u never know..... :p Perhaps thats why Indian Army is called most corrupt institution in the country.

I would advise you to carefully weigh your words before you shoot your mouth.
It is not perfect as an institution, but there are many things going for it, the least of which is not people such as yourself.
The people who serve in that institution are worthy of praise in ways you could never possibly imagine....

If you have reason to believe otherwise, please let me know of the reasons why you believe so with proof and not just hearsay.....because i can get back with a hundred counter examples to prove to you that probably only the Indian Army is the genuinely honest organization independent India has produced in its 50 years of existence. No other governmental organization comes even close.....

*TRINITY* said:
u r talking like a layman..... :eek: afterall u r in medicine to serve people in distress, if u dont like it then i'll have to say u r wrong field.

uh...oh! :p why dont we rather talk about ducatis than discussing the crap which would lead to nothing but bitterness? :) so, do u think ducatis can beat rossi's Yamaha?

quant said:
I would advise you to carefully weigh your words before you shoot your mouth.
:)

The people who serve in that institution are worthy of praise in ways you could never possibly imagine....

I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT THE SOLDIERS WHO DIE IN BATTLEFIELD BUT THE CORRUPT OFFICERS.

If you have reason to believe otherwise, please let me know of the reasons why you believe so with proof and not just hearsay.....because i can get back with a hundred counter examples to prove to you that probably only the Indian Army is the genuinely honest organization independent India has produced in its 50 years of existence. No other governmental organization comes even close.....

i thought u r already aware of Bofors, Tehelka, coffin scam etc..... :p

shardul said:
uh...oh! :p why dont we rather talk about ducatis than discussing the crap which would lead to nothing but bitterness? :) so, do u think ducatis can beat rossi's Yamaha?
i dont follow motorcycle racing :)

*TRINITY* said:
i thought u r already aware of Bofors, Tehelka, coffin scam etc..... :p

:) ...I apologise if i came down on you a bit harshly....but, all these SCAMS which you are referring to, were done by P-O-L-I-T-C-I-A-N-S who control the country, the army, me and you.....

1) Bofors - The *First* family of India...the Gandhis

2) Tehelka - Bangaru Laxman of the *BJP* Party....

3) Coffin Scam - The astounding stupidity on part of George Fernandes of *Janata* Party...

Im sure you mean well in not referring to Soldiers....But I must insist that 99% of OFFICERS in the Indian Army are worthy of the highest praise possible too...Sorry for hammering the point, but it s a touchy subject with me... :)

shardul said:
Oh everything is alright the aim of terminals is to fail us so we can work harder next time. U know how tough was our ob gyn paper was- they put a LAQ on role of USG in second trimester for 25 marks!!!!!
ROFL oh no!!!.... :p Kitty told me that!

.....so just chill 13 december is quite distant.

now that was what I used to do!! c'on u cant have maaf attitude like that now.

These days most of my time is spent playing Table tennins and solving Sudokus in BCR.
Hey this su doku bug seems to have bitten everyone. I even saw our gurkha solving it downstairs.

Its not that bad buddy...

right now i'm posted in orthopedics and i am loving it! But life is tough here , i have heard houseman in our unit had not come out of OT for 3 consecutive days. No wonder why atmosphere in ortho OT is filled with profanities! :p

I always wish to belong there.... but i would never take up ortho residency here at LT. U might have heard that famous anecdote about LT ortho department. ;)

BTW how was u r trip to Holy Ganges ? did u spot any floating corpses in those furious rapids? ;)

naah.this time there was no trouble! it was great fun u ought come to our next camp.

shardul said:
:laugh:

shardul said:

so what do u think about urology??? :p

its gr8 to see u back to this forum. I thought u drawned in fvking mumbai floods... :mad: sorry i am in very techy mood today :p ..... f$cking flood.... holy s^%8t.!!!! It sent my well planed holidays for toss. Fvcking central railways cant even fix the tracks disrupted during floods. i cant board train until 13th. I havent gone homes since last six months.... I had somehow managed to get reservation in Howrah Mail but its all in vain now....now i'll have spend a small fortune for traveling back home. :(

Dr Jay Kill said:
so what do u think about urology??? :p

i'm not a *** :p

*TRINITY* said:
i dont follow motorcycle racing :)

why didnt u come for CB's lecture today?

shardul said:
why didnt u come for CB's lecture today?

Shardul u attend CB's lectures :wow: never seen u there b4. I have missed his last 4 lecture. :(

allergic2morons said:
Shardul u attend CB's lectures :wow: never seen u there b4. I have missed his last 4 lecture. :(
:laugh: just started attending ...... so obviously we didnt meet ;)