Indian medical student thinking of going back

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zak92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I am a Medical student studying in India but I am a Canadian national. My situation is somewhat messed up as I am in middle of my med school. I have cleared my 1st year here and in my second year. After my second year I hope to write my USMLE Step 1.

Now what I want to know is what are my options to increase my exposure to medicine in USA and Canada as I plan to go back there after my med school here. Someone had told me every year I can take a small trip to USA and work there for some time. Anyone who has done this and can give me more information. What would that be called and whats the benefits of doing so?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

You can do clinical electives in the US. Look it up in the General International section. However, you can do this ONLY IN YOUR FINAL YEAR! That is either in 4th year or during your intern year.

People who go before that go for research in basic sciences. You do not get exposed to clinical medicine during this period.