independent study

ihatepants

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
how do you get about doing more classes in high school? I mean through independent study where you do the classes alone.

and off question if I do do independent study classes do they act as regular classes in admision eyes what I mean is ColumbiaU requires 4 years of history I got 3 if I do two more independent study history classes does it show on admission that I did 5 or 3?

Members don't see this ad.

how do you get about doing more classes in high school? I mean through independent study where you do the classes alone.

and off question if I do do independent study classes do they act as regular classes in admision eyes what I mean is ColumbiaU requires 4 years of history I got 3 if I do two more independent study history classes does it show on admission that I did 5 or 3?

I assume you mean Independently studying Advanced Placement right? If so, when you self study AP's you basically buy all the materials yourself, study at home (like on the weekends or whatever time is good for you), sign up for the test in the winter, and take the AP exam in the spring.

Basically when you do this the ONLY credit you will get is college credit assuming you get a 4 or a 5 on all of your exams. Since you just need another year of something then this is absolutely fine. Take A.P U.S history get a 4 or 5 on it and you will be good to go. My high school only has Modern World, US1 and US2 then senior year everybody usually takes an A.P history. Good luck with ColumbiaU btw:D

At my high school, independent study (which had absolutely nothing to do with AP exams, for the record) gave you credit for whatever subject you did it in. One friend did some Spanish literature project (foreign language credit), another did something investigating nutrients and chicken embryo development (bio credit), and another researched something involving Irish history (history credit). If your school offers independent study, you should be able to get credit for whatever you want.

Many high schools also offer "independent study" for students who would like to take an infrequently offered class (usually honors or AP) that just won't fit into their class schedules. This usually involves students going in to class with a teacher one-on-one during a lunch hour or free period, or just heading to the library under the supervision of another teacher. They do the same work, take the same tests, and get the same credit as normal students taking the class.