Incorporating Dietetics: Creating A Weight Loss Plan vs. Consulting A Dietician

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuckySurgeon7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all,

In order to get patients to lose some weight, I feel it would be helpful (and profitable?) to actually create some generic weight loss plans that can be modified slightly for each patient's needs. Specifically:

1) Recipes for each plan (20 or so per)
2) Exercises with variable intervals (walking a mile vs. running a mile, etc.)
3) Calorie counting spreadsheets for accountability
4) Maybe work out a discount for patients with the local gym in exchange for some consulting???

Has anyone tried this and found it to be profitable? Or what about employing or consulting a dietician?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey y'all,

In order to get patients to lose some weight, I feel it would be helpful (and profitable?) to actually create some generic weight loss plans that can be modified slightly for each patient's needs. Specifically:

1) Recipes for each plan (20 or so per)
2) Exercises with variable intervals (walking a mile vs. running a mile, etc.)
3) Calorie counting spreadsheets for accountability
4) Maybe work out a discount for patients with the local gym in exchange for some consulting???

Has anyone tried this and found it to be profitable? Or what about employing or consulting a dietician?
I consult dieticians all the time. For a full dietary consultation they're both better at it than I am and are less expensive for the same amount of time than I am.

Members don't see this ad :)
I consult dieticians all the time. For a full dietary consultation they're both better at it than I am and are less expensive for the same amount of time than I am.

Is there a specific billing code for dietary counseling? Or how would billing work?

Is there a specific billing code for dietary counseling? Or how would billing work?

The ICD-9 code is V65.3. You'd bill based on time. For example, if you spent more than 50% of a 15-minute visit counseling, you'd code a 99213. If you spent more than 50% of a 25-minute visit counseling, you'd code a 99214. Your note would need to reflect the time spent and the general content of the counseling.

Coding on the Basis of Time
http://www.aafp.org/fpm/2008/1100/p17.html

Reactions: 1 user