AAFP Board Review Study Plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slevin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I purchased the AAFP board review complete package. I was wondering if anyone had a good plan that they could share using the board review package in Ofer to get ready for the 2020 FM boards.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I purchased the AAFP board review complete package. I was wondering if anyone had a good plan that they could share using the board review package in Ofer to get ready for the 2020 FM boards.

Thanks
I did the audio version, listened to one lecture to and one lecture from work each day. Took the CME credit quiz same day to make sure it stuck.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who used the AAFP board study package, do you feel as though it was worth the price? I'm currently considering purchasing it and would love some feedback. Thank you!

For those of you who used the AAFP board study package, do you feel as though it was worth the price? I'm currently considering purchasing it and would love some feedback. Thank you!
As I passed boards and that's the only studying I did, absolutely it was worth it.

Reactions: 1 user
I've heard that it's worth it. I personally don't like people reading slides at me, and watched some of the videos/ppt, which is what it seemed like when I watched a few of them. The residents I've talked to that have used it and taken the boards, have all said it has been worth it.

In my opinion it wasn’t worth it. My program gave us the comprehensive notes and they are literally words on a slide. Tons of useless/ stuff you would never be asked. As stated before, old ITEs, free qbank and uworld is more than enough to do great

I listened to a few hours of videos/lectures a day and then did old tests that previous residents had.

There was also a qbank that I did most of. Boardvitals. It was really good I thought.

Any review materials for sale used for the abfm

Thanks

I had this question last year when preparing

Background: ended up getting a high score 600-700

for AAFP study package quite time consuming prob take good 2-3 months because of the sheer volume and it’s not like you’re going to absorb all the slides and audio with just one pass. prob need 2-3 passes. What is probably higher yield is to collect all the practice questions from every topic into one file.cover topics considered high yield on the blueprint I.e. msk, resp, cardio only which I believe was over half of the exam

Tips and material used:

your own ITE will be predictive - i got slighlyt higher than my ITE score

blue print was the question breakdown abfm gives us by percentage. Like I said majority of exam msk, resp, cardio

do as many questions as you can and fillin th knowledge gaps along the way

Good skill to develop is doing questions quickly and answering unfamiliar questions. So few days before exam stopped trying to learn new concepts and just did questions 12 hour straight stopping really only to see if

I think the closest approximation was the CKSA app.... i collected the questions and placed in a PowerPoint folder. You get abfm credits and I believe theY are actual old or retired abfm questions

don’t use too much stuff and overwhelm yourself. So I would do too much reading or passive learning.

If there were topics I didn’t understand sometimes I would read afp articles. Typically just the abstract and the clinical bullets in the beginning. Avoid reading as studying as it is passive and not as useful

don’t quote me but pass rate is like high 90s for us residents so passing is in your favor

also for my actual exam don’t remember any repeat questions from the ite, just repeat concepts so don’t spend time memorizing questions. I did the outpatient module which is basically more of the same.

1.Old in training exam - answer keys are invaluable did almost a decade worth. They could ask questions a million different ways for example diabetes meds that help with weight loss, you also reword it and ask diabetic meds that reduce cardiac risk, etc.
2. Collected the CKSA questions into powerpoints - questions approximate exam well
3. AAFP study package questions
Did read some topics that were high yield I believe msk, reps, cardio are the majority of the exam? So I ended up reading the ortho, sports med etc components and topics I was less familiar with such as peds, Er but on the whole didn’t th8nk the slides helped a lot.
4. Also did nejm fam med which was time consuming don’t remember if it helped. But an extra bunch of questions

At the end of the day i wouldn't sweat it too much. I personally felt i over prepared and prob spent too much time but the exam costs over 1000 and you want to get boarded and move on.

Like i said my ITE score was predictive and chances are that you will unlikely fail since failure rate low single digit % and passing rate is high 90 %

Last edited:
I had this question last year when preparing

Background: ended up getting a high score 600-700

for AAFP study package quite time consuming prob take good 2-3 months because of the sheer volume and it’s not like you’re going to absorb all the slides and audio with just one pass. prob need 2-3 passes. What is probably higher yield is to collect all the practice questions from every topic into one file.cover topics considered high yield on the blueprint I.e. msk, resp, cardio only which I believe was over half of the exam

Tips and material used:

your own ITE will be predictive - i got slighlyt higher than my ITE score

blue print was the question breakdown abfm gives us by percentage. Like I said majority of exam msk, resp, cardio

do as many questions as you can and fillin th knowledge gaps along the way

Good skill to develop is doing questions quickly and answering unfamiliar questions. So few days before exam stopped trying to learn new concepts and just did questions 12 hour straight stopping really only to see if

I think the closest approximation was the CKSA app.... i collected the questions and placed in a PowerPoint folder. You get abfm credits and I believe theY are actual old or retired abfm questions

don’t use too much stuff and overwhelm yourself. So I would do too much reading or passive learning.

If there were topics I didn’t understand sometimes I would read afp articles. Typically just the abstract and the clinical bullets in the beginning. Avoid reading as studying as it is passive and not as useful

don’t quote me but pass rate is like high 90s for us residents so passing is in your favor

also for my actual exam don’t remember any repeat questions from the ite, just repeat concepts so don’t spend time memorizing questions. I did the outpatient module which is basically more of the same.

1.Old in training exam - answer keys are invaluable did almost a decade worth. They could ask questions a million different ways for example diabetes meds that help with weight loss, you also reword it and ask diabetic meds that reduce cardiac risk, etc.
2. Collected the CKSA questions into powerpoints - questions approximate exam well
3. AAFP study package questions
Did read some topics that were high yield I believe msk, reps, cardio are the majority of the exam? So I ended up reading the ortho, sports med etc components and topics I was less familiar with such as peds, Er but on the whole didn’t th8nk the slides helped a lot.
4. Also did nejm fam med which was time consuming don’t remember if it helped. But an extra bunch of questions

At the end of the day i wouldn't sweat it too much. I personally felt i over prepared and prob spent too much time but the exam costs over 1000 and you want to get boarded and move on.

Like i said my ITE score was predictive and chances are that you will unlikely fail since failure rate low single digit % and passing rate is high 90 %
do you still have theses powerpoint slides by any chance?