Incoming Scholl students...where do plan on living?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

txlioness

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just curious where everyone is planning on living. I am moving down July 30.

I plan on living at AMLI at Osprey Lake at least the first year. I got 2 kids and 2 dogs so i need the space. I will check out buying a house later, IF I stay in the area.

Decided not to rent a house, didn't like many of the ones i saw and most were overpriced on rent and security deposits.

Members don't see this ad.

I have no clue still! I'm going down on June 16th to look at a few and hopefully hold one. I really like the Gurnee area because you are around everything. I'm thinking Pembrook though. Hopefully I can say for sure on the 17th...

I have no clue still! I'm going down on June 16th to look at a few and hopefully hold one. I really like the Gurnee area because you are around everything. I'm thinking Pembrook though. Hopefully I can say for sure on the 17th...

I really liked the area, too. so did my husband :)

There is lots around the area. We just spent a week there, last week, looking for housing and my husband interviewing for jobs. We liked that you could get to everything fairly quickly. I liked all the stores and shopping. It reminds me of where I live now. The neighboring towns are easy access, too. The mall in the Vernon Hills area, etc.

good :luck: on the housing hunt

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone want to rent a 2 bedroom apt
lets say 800$

and share????

Hi all,

Just curious where everyone is planning on living. I am moving down July 30.

I plan on living at AMLI at Osprey Lake at least the first year. I got 2 kids and 2 dogs so i need the space. I will check out buying a house later, IF I stay in the area.

Decided not to rent a house, didn't like many of the ones i saw and most were overpriced on rent and security deposits.

My wife, youngster and I are moving into the Kenosha Commons apartments around the middle of July. It's about 20 miles from Waukegan, 2-3 bedroom apartments, and really new looking. I'm hoping to figure out a way to avoid morning traffic if possible...does anyone know if there's a rail or bus route that travels that far North:confused:?

One benefit if you're looking to buy a home eventually is Kenosha Common's option to rent for 6 months at a time instead of a full year. We too are hoping to pump our "borrowed money" into a home eventually. Even if we took a hit and lost money on the home (unlikely) it would still be cheaper than just pumping that money (~50k over 4 years) into rent somewhere...at least that's the "theory!" :idea:

My wife, youngster and I are moving into the Kenosha Commons apartments around the middle of July. It's about 20 miles from Waukegan, 2-3 bedroom apartments, and really new looking. I'm hoping to figure out a way to avoid morning traffic if possible...does anyone know if there's a rail or bus route that travels that far North:confused:?

One benefit if you're looking to buy a home eventually is Kenosha Common's option to rent for 6 months at a time instead of a full year. We too are hoping to pump our "borrowed money" into a home eventually. Even if we took a hit and lost money on the home (unlikely) it would still be cheaper than just pumping that money (~50k over 4 years) into rent somewhere...at least that's the "theory!" :idea:

hey kenosha and north chicago are on the same train line. You can catch a train from kenosha to north chicago. And then Scholl offers shuttle service from station to college. So that can work for you.

Regarding buying a home. Its very gr8 idea to put 50K in mortage rather than paying for rent. but seeing the present house market i doubt will it be gr8 to buy the house and then after 4 yrs when you are done and going to sell. What if it doesnt sells. at present the market is very slow and they are saying this trend is going to keep on going. Yeah if u r planning to settle in this area or ready to rent it, etc then its a gr8 idea. if you plan on moving after 4th year then you have to take that risk of house selling on time or else you will be paying unnecessary payments till the house sells.

hey kenosha and north chicago are on the same train line. You can catch a train from kenosha to north chicago. And then Scholl offers shuttle service from station to college. So that can work for you.

Regarding buying a home. Its very gr8 idea to put 50K in mortage rather than paying for rent. but seeing the present house market i doubt will it be gr8 to buy the house and then after 4 yrs when you are done and going to sell. What if it doesnt sells. at present the market is very slow and they are saying this trend is going to keep on going. Yeah if u r planning to settle in this area or ready to rent it, etc then its a gr8 idea. if you plan on moving after 4th year then you have to take that risk of house selling on time or else you will be paying unnecessary payments till the house sells.

I agree! Housing is so expensive here as well as taxes that you really have to think about whether or not you are really going to make anything...or even break even. Lake County is one of the few area that hasn't seen a decrease in home prices over the last year, but that doesnt mean that it will stay that way. And your right, things are just sitting. Think of all the money that you would throw away in taxes! We have a pretty small house that we have had for 10 years and we pay about 450 in taxes each month. I know when we move for residency, our plan is to rent. Just my opinion though. And then, when you think about the cost of maintaining a house...time as well. I think I am actually jealous of my classmates that will be renting!!! No lawn to cut or gutters to clean out!:laugh:

Thanks Cool_vkb and Khep for the input! It's nice from those that have likely bought/sold homes or that know the market better than I do to fill me in. :thumbup:
Do you think that even if the house was slow in selling or if you had to cut the price of the house down just to sell quickly that you'd be out more than 50K? The menial wages I've earned thus far as being a poor college student it seems that 50K is an enormous amount of money to toss to renters. Granted if that's what you have to do to get through the process fine...but last time I did the math 50K bought A LOT of diapers! :D

Thanks Cool_vkb and Khep for the input! It's nice from those that have likely bought/sold homes or that know the market better than I do to fill me in. :thumbup:
Do you think that even if the house was slow in selling or if you had to cut the price of the house down just to sell quickly that you'd be out more than 50K? The menial wages I've earned thus far as being a poor college student it seems that 50K is an enormous amount of money to toss to renters. Granted if that's what you have to do to get through the process fine...but last time I did the math 50K bought A LOT of diapers! :D

You never know what will happen over the span of 4 years, but the current trend is for home price depreciation. You have to consider what it will cost you in taxes ...that alone in my case is well over 20,000 for 4 years. Then add in your maintenance costs/home repairs. And there is the realtor fees and closing costs. I suppose you always have your house for federal tax purposes. I just know that this area is expensive as far as housing goes. And the utilities are ridiculous...

But, I understand you not wanting to throw money away on rent. Just consider too that if you buy up in Kenosha where housing is cheaper, you are going to have one hell of a commute to clerkships. And as I've mentioned before, some of them require you to be on call which is pretty much an impossiblity from that far north. It will be difficult even from North Chicago for those who are on campus.

lets ignore all the taxes, maintanance, bills,etc for a minute. Just imagine after 4yrs you getting some great residency in some other state and are ready to move out. Now believe me some homes are getting stuck up for 4-7 months easily. We sold our condo near Downtown chicago after 5 months. Lets say even if it takes 4 months to sell. 4 months with an approx mortage of $ 1800 monthly + tax will be around $9000-$10000. You have to pay $9000 in 4 months and simultaneously pay the rent of your new home where ever you will be doing the residency. Plus when you sell keep in mind the real estate agents comission, and then the tension you have building up in your mind till the house sells that it self makes many young black hair become gray and gets you BP. We went through this awfull period few months back. So i thought i should warn you.

Atleast wait for a quarter of school. In the mean time know the neighborhood, school systems, study the market, taxes, your conveniences,etc and then invest. Now you buy something then you are stuck up with it.

Also lake county or kenosha county are no nebraska or wyoming where you would get house for very cheap as paying rent . Expect good house (single family/ town house) in range of $220k range minimum unless you want to take your family to some run down neighborhood with bad school system. Thats like $2000 in mortgage + 600-700 in tax + utilities+repairs etc. So do that math also.

I have no intention to discourage you from what you are doing. I just want you to make the right decision as you will be investing so much money into it. may god bless you and guide you.:thumbup:

initially we are just renting for the first year. We will see what we will do later on. I don't want to go through the headache of selling my house again if i don't stay in the area. i have a couple different residencies that look really interesting and they are not in chicago.

I may change my mind along the way about what residency I will like. who knows. also if my husband likes his job then i may have to hang out in chicago area.

Time will tell....

initially we are just renting for the first year. We will see what we will do later on. I don't want to go through the headache of selling my house again if i don't stay in the area. i have a couple different residencies that look really interesting and they are not in chicago.

I may change my mind along the way about what residency I will like. who knows. also if my husband likes his job then i may have to hang out in chicago area.

Time will tell....

I'm in the same boat with the residencies that look good to me now being out of state. So, the idea that my house will be on the market in the spring of 4th year doesn't sound good. We will have crip at x-mas and then there are our externships, where we will be away (and I will have to rely on my husband to keep the house in good shape) and then there are boards part deux. It will be a crazy enough time without the strain of selling a house.

Members don't see this ad :)
You all make good points! I will certainly look more heavily into our options as time allows. For now I think we'll rent and as you suggested check out the areas, taxes, etc. I was hoping to jump into a home from the get-go...but being from Utah and trying to do it long distance is not feasible even after a few days visit in May.
As always your advice and pointers are invaluable! I wish I had began yacking with you guys through this website before I made my trip so perhaps I could have met a few of you while I was out there. It would be nice to know at least a few of the class of 2011 before the chaos begins!

When is everyone planning to move in? I want to on August 1st, but not too sure, def by the 3rd. If everyone is planning on moving there, maybe sometime on Monday or Tuesday before orientation, we can all meet at some resturant for lunch or dinner. This way when orientation starts we'll actually know a few names and faces and hopefully not seem as lost or awkward like the typical freshman. So if anyone wants to do this lets actually plan something.

When is everyone planning to move in? I want to on August 1st, but not too sure, def by the 3rd. If everyone is planning on moving there, maybe sometime on Monday or Tuesday before orientation, we can all meet at some resturant for lunch or dinner. This way when orientation starts we'll actually know a few names and faces and hopefully not seem as lost or awkward like the typical freshman. So if anyone wants to do this lets actually plan something.

yeah that will be great. We cud meet in Gurnee like on 5th or 6th. Lets plan this on facebook.com, that group also needs some activity:)

Im planning around the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th. I definitely would like to have some familiar faces during orientation as well as meet you all. So count me in!! ;)

The Mrs. and I plan to move our small family around the middle of July just to give us around a month to become acclimated to the area and perhaps scope out the house-buying option. I'd certainly be interested in a get together. Who's buying? :laugh:

The Mrs. and I plan to move our small family around the middle of July just to give us around a month to become acclimated to the area and perhaps scope out the house-buying option. I'd certainly be interested in a get together. Who's buying? :laugh:

Im planning around the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th. I definitely would like to have some familiar faces during orientation as well as meet you all. So count me in!! ;)

yeah that will be great. We cud meet in Gurnee like on 5th or 6th. Lets plan this on facebook.com, that group also needs some activity:)

KHep and I were planning to do something. We were going to post something here once the date got closer. I am moving to Gurnee (AMLI at Osprey Lake) on July 30th. So possibly a few days after that would be good. There are alot of restaurants around there. Lone Star Steakhouse, Olive Garden, Postesta's (great little Italian restaurant) on Green Bay. My hubby found this place while we were down over Memorial Day. Great pizza and lasagna.

Looking forward to meeting a few people :)

anyone find a place around $750-800, 1 bedroom? I'm going up there on Saturday (the 16th) and will hopefully find a place. Anyone hear anything on Chateau Royale? Its in Waukegan, around $770, and gives you free satellite tv, interenet, gas, and heat. It has great reviews on apartmentratings.com. I'm weary to trust those. If anyone knows any other place I should check out, let me know.

try out craigslist.com, i'm thinking about living in evanston and taking the train to the shuttle. there is 1 bedroom apts. on the site for like 800ish/month. try even looking into lake bluff, its near by and looks decent

am I the only one here living on campus? I'm moving in the weekend before orientation!

naw, i'm living on campus too. Wish they'd actually tell us when we can move in cuz I need to coordinate moving and such...

am I the only one here living on campus? I'm moving in the weekend before orientation!

No, you're not alone. I'll be there too in my single (moving in sometime right before orientation). And I agree with Tiggles, I really wish I had more info on it, ie. address, move in dates, etc.

Anyways, it should be cool living on campus; cant wait to move in ;)

No, you're not alone. I'll be there too in my single (moving in sometime right before orientation). And I agree with Tiggles, I really wish I had more info on it, ie. address, move in dates, etc.

Anyways, it should be cool living on campus; cant wait to move in ;)

I will also be living on campus! We really need to track each other down since we'll all be living in the same building (I'm assuming). I really do wish we had our info though!

I think I've decided on Eagle Ridge in Waukegan. Hopefully if they still have a room...

I will also be living on campus! We really need to track each other down since we'll all be living in the same building (I'm assuming). I really do wish we had our info though!

Hey what about the food situation? I mean does scholl dorms have a cafeteria or you guys are responsible for the food.

I would think that we would be responsible for our own food, but maybe pay to eat food from the scholl cafeteria? Any returning student care to respond?

hey kids,

The Landings at Amhurst Lake is a great place to live. I even have my own door. It used to be called Northern Crossing.

we have a pool and a tennis court.

but the big bonus, if you are thinking about signing there, contact me and put me as a reference (i'll give you my real name) and we can split the cash! WOOT!

hey kids,

The Landings at Amhurst Lake is a great place to live. I even have my own door. It used to be called Northern Crossing.

we have a pool and a tennis court.

but the big bonus, if you are thinking about signing there, contact me and put me as a reference (i'll give you my real name) and we can split the cash! WOOT!

that's great. I will be at AMLI at Osprey Lake in Gurnee. They have an indoor and outdoor pool with sauna. A very good gym (free weights, which is rare, in my experience with apts; treadmill, stair climber, etc.). They also have a tennis court. They have a nice party room that has a pool table that turns into a poker table. So if there are any card sharks out there, then this is the place for you :)

If you have pets, they're pet friendly. I have 2 dogs.

I will be new to the area but have lived in other properties owned by AMLI in other states (2 in Texas and 1 in Virginia).

The campus apartments are like any other apartments anywhere... these are not undergrad dorms. Food is not provided. You have a full kitchen with supermarkets and a Walmart superstore nearby.

As for you apartment notices, my guess is they will not be sent until middle of July. Reason being there are still students who are under contract in the dorms until July 15. Additionally there are many current students swapping apartments in that time as well. So if housing were to tell you your apartment info, it does no good because you can't send mail there until the current residents have moved out in the middle-end of July.

As for your address...
Letters/regular envelopes: (Apt #) University Circle, North Chicago, IL 60064
Packages (UPS, FedEx,etc...) : (Bldg #) University Circle (Apt#), NChi, IL, 60064
Your building number either 101, 201, or 301 (the first digit in your apt# is your bldg#)

Hope that helps

On the RFU student housing website there is a link up called "Reserve a Move-In Date for Apartments". But you cant complete it bc it asks for your building number, which we obviously dont have yet. Anyone know when we get that info? im becoming a little impatient..:rolleyes:

Ive already bought my plane tickets to come out and move in. So August 6th it is. I hope all goes smoothly!

How do you get a hold of anyone at the housing office without getting the answering machine all the time??? I need to talk to real people/ :confused:

How do you get a hold of anyone at the housing office without getting the answering machine all the time??? I need to talk to real people/ :confused:

Try emailing, I got a response back from them that way...

got my housing assignment! I'm in building 101! It's almost like pouring salt in the wounds because I wanna move now and I still have to wait a month!

So for those who are getting apartments (non-campus), how long are you doing your lease for? Do you know if we'll be getting our loans throughout the summer to help pay even though we won't be in school?

Do you know if we'll be getting our loans throughout the summer to help pay even though we won't be in school?

Oooh, good question...I'd like to know that as well. I guess we'd know that if we had our fin aid awards already! sheesh :confused:

Oooh, good question...I'd like to know that as well. I guess we'd know that if we had our fin aid awards already! sheesh :confused:

Forget next summer! I'am more worried about this summer. god its already July-5th and i have no clue if iam getting any aid or not. Thankgod i dont have to rent an apartment. I wonder those who are banking on that aid to come how much frustrated you guys must be feeling. I just hope they send us all info by this weekend. Atleast they should send an aid offer if not the fin aid checks:)

Forget next summer! I'am more worried about this summer. god its already July-5th and i have no clue if iam getting any aid or not. Thankgod i dont have to rent an apartment. I wonder those who are banking on that aid to come how much frustrated you guys must be feeling. I just hope they send us all info by this weekend. Atleast they should send an aid offer if not the fin aid checks:)

Hey cool_vkb, I dont know if you caught my other post or not, but I talked to Mandy the other day and she told me fin aid packets were going out this week and if you dont get it by mid-next week to let her know!

So yeah, check your mail everyday!!!! It'll be there soon. And I am one of those people counting on this fin aid money for rent!!!!! Yikes....

Next summer does matter. If I sign a 12 month lease and we dont get money for next summer, there would be no way I can afford it. And I'm really counting on the $1600/mo otherwise its Ramen for me the whole year! haha (which I probably wouldn't mind too much)

And I'm really counting on the $1600/mo otherwise its Ramen for me the whole year! haha (which I probably wouldn't mind too much)

Ramen is the good old friend of every student i guess. Two years back they had this presentation in milwaukee for students about ramen noodles. My god they showed like thousdand ways of making ramen noodles. From breakfast sweet ramens in milk to formal dinner ramen pasta:). lol! I will share some recipes with you if god forbid you dont get $1600:)

Next summer does matter. If I sign a 12 month lease and we dont get money for next summer, there would be no way I can afford it. And I'm really counting on the $1600/mo otherwise its Ramen for me the whole year! haha (which I probably wouldn't mind too much)

If you like asian food, sushi is cheap to make and not too difficult (I make tons of it every week). Plus, leftover rice can easily be made into *insert meat here* fried rice. There's also Spam musubi, or heck anything rice related is pretty cheap! Udon is also pretty cheap and good as well, or homemade pho.

Ok, I need to stop typing cuz i'm making myself pretty hungry...

I believe the budget is for 9 months...check out this infor from the Fin Aid page. I was wondering if they took into account people with families (ie kids). I don't think so. Luckily, my hubby will be working and we paid off alot of bills in anticipation of me going back to school.

http://66.99.255.20/osa/financialaid/0400_2008studentBudgets.cfm

The first year budget is at the bottom under DPM1. You see the budget for the subsequent years further up the page.

Looks like 9 months for year 2
13 months for year 3
12 months for year 4

Does anyone know if we get a voucher or something for the amount indicated for books/supplies to use at the bookstore?

Does anyone know if they will give us the entire $14,400 in one lump sum during disbursement in August or just $1600 on a monthly basis?

Does anyone know if they will give us the entire $14,400 in one lump sum during disbursement in August or just $1600 on a monthly basis?

I think they give in 3 disbursments becuase Scholl runs on quarter system. OOOO if they give $14400 direct in one lump sum thats gonna be awesome.

I think it will be dispersed in quarters, so every three or four months we'll get a fraction of our award. At least that's how it was at my quarter-system undergrad institution. I doubt it'd be a monthly disbursement, but I'm not 100% certain.

I think it will be dispersed in quarters, so every three months we'll get a fraction of our award. At least that's how it was at my quarter-system undergrad institution. I doubt it'd be a monthly disbursement, but I'm not 100% certain.

Yes, thats the way Scholl disbursement goes as well. You get a lump sum every few months. However, you do not get any $$$ for breaks or vacation days. So, that $1600 a month is only for those months that have around 20 school days within that month. Again, its not much $$ considering the cost of living. Rent is at least $1000 per month for something decent. For myself, it has gone up from $1000 to $1125 per month due to the low housing market in the area. Check it out on rent.com.

Keep a budget for all your bills and you should be fine.

anyone living at the woodlands and need a roomate?????

Anyone else in building 201? Only a couple more weeks!:)

Is anyone as crazy as I am to live in Wisconsin and make the commute to Waukegan? We are living in Kenosha, WI and rumor has it that it's only about a 20 minute commute (kinda feels like a gamble at the moment). Cost of living MAY be less where we are staying. We have a pretty-darned nice town-house style apartment (3 bed) in a decent part of town and are paying just $985 in rent. I don't know what the chances are...but if anyone else is up here I'd happily car-pool or become your bestest "travel-buddy" in taking the train/bus!

Rumor has it that RFU will pick you up at the train station.

"Bawal makasimangot!"

Ben