Incoming MS1 need some advice :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

missdoc91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Im accepted to touro university college of osteopathic medicine class of 2018! My amcas application got screwed up so i didnt apply for MD schools. No regret. Im studying for mcat again to take it this march and see how it goes. But im focusing on attending touro university for now unless my mcat score is 4 points higher than what i had on my first try! Btw i got 12/6/10 on my first try. Anyways, OB/GYN and REI is my true passion ( i didnt want anything so bad in my life lol) and that's why im seeking advice. Assuming that i will be a DO, i want tips on how to be so competitive to get in to good residency that i will have a chance for REI fellowship. Like UCLA. I forgot to mention im doing DO/MPH program at touro. Any advice will be really appreciated! :) i cant wait to hear from you guys! I know a lot of people sat to wait for next year and apply but im very excited to start my journey to be a physician.... Seriously

Members don't see this ad.

Any current resident want to share some tips?

Congratulations on getting accepted! I am an MS4 and just finished all of my interviews for Ob/Gyn residency. I am coming from an MD school so I cannot comment on anything specific to DO, however, it really just boils down to doing your absolute best in med school, with an emphasis on boards scores (step 1 holding slightly more weight, but this could be changing).

I interviewed at some pretty competitive places, but not the very top, and there were plenty of DO applicants throughout. Aside from doing your best on boards and being high up in your class, I would get involved in something with substance that relates to Ob/Gyn. Dont just be the leader of the ObGyn Interest Group or something, try and do research within the field (or any field if there is nothing ObGyn specific).

The process of premed -> med student -> resident -> fellow is really all one big step at a time. You do your best to get into med school, but NO ONE will ask your MCAT score on a residency interview. You get to basically start fresh with med school and your undergrad grades and scores no longer matter. I have heard the same about fellowship, but cant comment on it from experience yet.