income?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lazgirl24

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am really confused about the income of optometist. I reseached it and the figures are all over the board. it ranges from 24,000 all the way to over $150,000. why is the gap so big? what is the avg if the practice is based in the SF bay area.

Members don't see this ad.

Dear lazgirl24,

I agree that optometry incomes are all over the place. There isn't a reliable measure or study that I know of that could be predictable for a new graduate or prospective student. Instead, I'll talk about typical salaries for HMO's and private practice ophthalmology offices.

A new graduate in the SF Bay Area can expect to start between 65k-80k in an ophthalmology office. That means no late hours or call. You often get benefits such as license fees, CE and vacation.

At Kaiser Permanente Medical, you're salary will be about 50k but the benefits are generous and it is unionized.

At local optometrists, you'll do similarily with the ophthalmologist but will usually work 1-2 offices.

In regards to private practice, it's completley up to the individual. I've heard of practices that cash flow positive from the first day and gross $200k in just three years. And others still struggle after 5 years. I believe the opportunities still exist for optometrists in communities outside of the SF Bay Area. In my mind, CA is probably a bit saturated and you'll not do well here. Of course, if you have something special, you certainly can do well.

Regards,
Richard
Originally posted by lazgirl24
I am really confused about the income of optometist. I reseached it and the figures are all over the board. it ranges from 24,000 all the way to over $150,000. why is the gap so big? what is the avg if the practice is based in the SF bay area.

This is a question that I asked myself when I frist started thinking about applying to Optometry. I will try to answer your question base on my own research and my own experiences. I hope it helps.
There are plethra of factors that determine the income of an Optometrist and I wouldn't rely too much on any sort of survey or report. It totally depends on the location, the number of hours worked, the relationship with other health care professionals in the area, etc. Many of my colleagues have chosen to work only 20 hours per week and not many of my classmates have chosen to work longer than 40 hours per week. Obviously, the longer hours you work, the more money you will make. I have worked with Optometrists who make over $250,000 per year and I have also worked in offices that couldn't make enough money to even pay the rent and keep the staff. So, it really depends on what you make of the profession. One of the things that I love most about this profession is that it offers you almost 100% flexibility to chose how, where, and when you like to work. But at the same time, unlike Medical Specialties, it does not guarantee you a fix income. It is up to the individual Optometrist to define his/her mode of practice and subsequently, his/her income. The oppurtunities are there, if one is willing to relocate and go to places that there is need for the services. The profession is a very dynamic profession and has lots of potential to become a very rewarding profession, both professionaly and financially. It is all up to you to do what you like with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for both of your help. BTW, does anyone know where i can shadow a optometist in the bay area (around santa clara county? please let me know

Doink,
Well said. Can you tell me in which state/s optometrists have made over 250K? Are they employed or are they owners of a private practice or chain store? That is an extremely high figure.
Thanks.

RC, i have been reading a lot of your post and you seem to be REALLY negative about optometry. why don't you do something else if you don't like it so much. I know I lot of ppl who are in this field and love it. they are also making a really good living too.

I'm glad you have the ability to READ lazygirl24 but it seems you do not COMPREHEND what you read. I NEVER mentioned in any of my posts that I hate Optometry. Indeed, I have spoken negative of the profession in regard not reaching my aspirations and challenges. Wanting more out of life- being an "eye doc." I enjoy Optometry believe it or not and absolutely help my patients full scope.
Making a good living, enjoying what you do and being good at it does not necessarily make you happy.
Go back and read my posts carefully. Then I'll qiuz you lololololo.

Take care,
RC

Why will you be unhappy if you enjoy what you are doing?

Because you want more out of your job. You can't accept mediocrity and want to aim higher as far as job satisafction and challenges go. More medical involvement and surgical. That's not Optometry no matter how you look at it. Money is also another factor.
You are young lazgirl24 a bit naive at the moment and you have allowed yourself to be brainwashed from what you read and hear.
Do well in your undergrad studies and see if Optometry suites your needs and goals.
Best of Luck to you. I've exhausted this topic.
RC

+pity+ Why I do believe it's the world's saddest story on the world's smallest violin...

UP WITH OPTOMETRY!!!!!!!

Your student debt eyegirl will be a sad story on your small violin when you graduate Optometry School and find yourself with not many job opprotunities and prospects as in the past.
I'm out ten years. I made money and continue (God willingly) to make money from the jobs I have.
It's going to be a different story when you get out- if the economy does not improve. And yes even optometrists to a great degree are not recession proof.
Keep fiddling your violin.
He who laughs last laughs the loudest.

Enjoy your stay at the windy city.

Here's a reality check for you. Not everyone has the same self-involved outlook on life and the profession of optometry. It is you who is not suited for the profession. Optometry is a very rewarding profession both financially and personally. What you fail to realise is that you define your happyness by your professional achievements .... it's as if you feel your inadequate just because you have an OD! Personally I define MY happyness by making a salary well into 6 figures and by working hours that afford me the luxury of enjoying life! I go travelling around the world, get out to the golf course very frequently, volunteer in my community and have a great social life. So what if I don't have an MD behind my name ... so what if I can't do surgical procedures .... does that take away from what I've accomplished so far in my life (professionally AND personally speaking)? Those that define themselves by the letters after their name may not be completely fufilled by being an optometrist ... but then again who on earth is that shallow! Work isn't life ..... so get out and LIVE A LITTLE!!

Thank you for your words of wisdom.
I will try to live by them.

Sarcasm is used by those who aren't intelligent enough to hold a mature conversation. I really do hope that you find another profession so that your sad bitter attitude will improve. I just hope that those who read your posts take them with a grain a salt and realise how fufilling being an optometrist can be ... or for that matter, any job, as long as they enjoy what they do!

Speaking as someone who HAS been in the "real world", so to speak, for a while, I can say that canuck is absolutely correct. In life you have 3 choices. You can be happy with what you have, if you don't like what you have you can change it, or you can whine about it like a big baby the way RC is.

I know business executives making mid range 6 -figures who are miserable, and I know people working at 5 figure jobs who are in heaven. Money doesn't make you happy ultimately, only you can. RC if you don't enjoy optometry, I'd suggest some soul searching, and perhaps a career change. There is a degree of prestige that comes with OD. If it's not the same as a cardiothorracic surgeon, then maybe you should take a gander at the surgery forums and how much of a life they DON'T have compared to ODs. Personally I'd take the opportunity to enjoy the life I have instead of wasting it on woulda shoulda coulda beens.

There are those who make things happen, those who watch things happen, and those who wonder "what the hell just happened?"

Which one are you?

" One of the things that I love most about this profession is that it offers you almost 100% flexibility to chose how, where, and when you like to work. "

As someone who has worked for three years in different chain stores and a year in a private practice, I can ensure you the above statement is not true for 75% of the new ODs. How can you have flexibility when you work for a chain store ?? They give you the worst hours ( ex Sat, Sun and holidays ). And they always overbook you. I know some of you are thinking about not working for the chain stores at all. Which is GREAT. And I'm for it. But the problem is the fact that where you gonna work ? If one of your family member has an ESTABLISHED practice than you are in a good shape. And you probably gonna make around $75,000 or more. On the other hand, if you don't know anyone than good luck. I know a number of you will argure that money is not the reason that you are entering this field.... in response I'll tell you this: wait 'til your loans kick in and you start a family. My objective is not to discourage you from entering into this field, but to give you a different perspective. If you are thinking about going to optometry instead of trusting my words or someone else, do yourself a favor get a JOB in two different offices and become close to the office manager or the ODs. Just by doing some observation for 40hrs you not gonna learn anything. Oh, one more thing, for those of you, who are thinking about openning your own practice, look around and find out how much a practice costs and how much you need to make in order to pay for your payments. ( practice, loans, cars, house, etc )

Originally posted by AT03
" One of the things that I love most about this profession is that it offers you almost 100% flexibility to chose how, where, and when you like to work. "
I'm still going to agree with this statement.

As someone who has also spent considerable time working in the "real world", part of my decision to pursue optometry was because the 40+ hour job I had included a lot of evening and weekend hours that were *unpredictable*. I have no illusions that as an optometrist I will have to work hours outside of the usual 9-to-5 weekdays, but I'll also know that my free time is my own and a work-week that won't creep from 40-50-60 hours without my own approval.

I agree that optometry school is expensive -- as is any professional school. Depending on which school you go to and how you manage your expenses, your loans don't have to be completely unmanageable. While you're paying them off after graduation you're not going to be rolling in money while you're working, either -- but as with most professional programs, this is part of the investment you're putting in up front to enjoy the benefits of a professional career later on.

I also agree that being an optometrist isn't going to make you crazy rich. If you're looking for that, this isn't the career for you. If you're smart and motivated (and usually willing to take risks), becoming a business entrepreneur will make you a lot more money. Or a cardiothoracic surgeon.

Finally, I know a lot of women who go into optometry because they want to have a career that offers them flexibility when they have families. When their children are young, they're able to arrange schedules that allow them to have time at home and to work a few hours a week and make extremely decent money for those few hours. Not many other careers allow that. This situation might not apply to everyone, but it's just one example of the type of flexibility that isn't available with other careers.

Originally posted by Eyegirl2k7
+pity+ Why I do believe it's the world's saddest story on the world's smallest violin...

UP WITH OPTOMETRY!!!!!!!

:laugh: :D :clap:

Originally posted by Reality check

Making a good living, enjoying what you do and being good at it does not necessarily make you happy.

RC,
"We can attain happiness, but not in this life." -Thomas Aquinas, philosophist

Cannuck_OD, ZanMD: you made some good points. Well said :clap:

I have to say that optometry is pretty bad for woman who wants a career AND family life. There is little flexibility in work schedule, calling in sick is not as easy as you might think. There is no one that could cover you since you are the only person who is doing the eye exam. Benefits from work is ususally absent.

People who talk greatly about optometry are those usually are not practicing ODs and just had some classes that tell them how great optometry is.

Please take some notes from real life, from real ODs who are in the trench. But if you don't believe me, just wait until graduation and then your comments will carry some weight. Until then please don't put down your future potential boss.

Originally posted by optcom
I have to say that optometry is pretty bad for woman who wants a career AND family life. There is little flexibility in work schedule, calling in sick is not as easy as you might think. There is no one that could cover you since you are the only person who is doing the eye exam. Benefits from work is ususally absent.
I was talking about the case where the woman has scaled back her schedule to a few hours a week -- a couple weekends a month or a few evenings -- during a time that she's got childcare covered (dad's at home, kids are at school or whatever). You're right that calling in sick is tough since you need to have someone to cover you, but I guess that's a problem in a any job where you have any kind of responsibility. You also are right about benefits with any part-time job -- but again, the mom ODs I know have that covered through their husband's insurance. Working part-time in this situation is a pretty good deal. Granted, it's a pretty specific situation, but I know a few mom ODs who do this.