Including High School Volunteering on app

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

little_giant

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I am currently volunteering at the same hospital I once volunteered for in high school (2012) and got over 100 hours working with patients and some staff. It was a good experience for me because I got to walk around the entire hospital basically and see all the departments.

Since I'm volunteering at the same hospital now (in a diff department) and probably will do ~50-60 hours, can I add them up on my application and say this was 150 hours between 2012-2018? Or would I have to separate them into 100 (2012), and 50 (2018)? Or should I not include the HS volunteering at all?

Members don't see this ad.

AMCAS offers the opportunity to list things for different distinct time frames. You could choose that option so as to show 2012-2015= 100 hours and 2018, 60 hours. That would be most accurate. Given that it doesn't use up a slot for something that was done only in HS, there isn't the "don't you have more recent stuff to report" rationale for not including HS stuff on the application.

Reactions: 1 user
AMCAS offers the opportunity to list things for different distinct time frames. You could choose that option so as to show 2012-2015= 100 hours and 2018, 60 hours. That would be most accurate. Given that it doesn't use up a slot for something that was done only in HS, there isn't the "don't you have more recent stuff to report" rationale for not including HS stuff on the application.
Thanks! I was a little on the fence just because of how many people are saying to not include anything from high school

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you applying now?? If so why do you only have 60 hours? Do you have other activities?
Nope. I will be applying next cycle! I was unfortunately too busy with my other jobs like research and my clinical research job over the school year and summers and didn't really understand the importance of volunteering :(. But now I will continue volunteering over the school year for this next year and hopefully get over 100

Reactions: 1 users