Including being an orphan/Ward of the State in my application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axelz165

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Both of my parents died when i was ~3. For all legal purposes this made me a ward of the state/orphan even though I was raised by my grandmother. Should I include this in my personal statement along with my grandma having to stretch 1 sub-minimum wage paycheck across 4 dependents?

I wanted to include this to show I never really had a traditional family unit supporting me which contributed to my lower GPA

Members don't see this ad.

From what I understand, you are supposed to own the low GPA as a mistake and not make excuses. I absolutely think you should share your experiences of your unfortunately rough childhood. I think you would be better off tying it into how you have cultivated a desire to help others after seeing such a strong example in your life, or how you want to help those of lower socioeconomic status because you yourself have been there. Make it about why you want to be in medicine and why you will be a caring physician, not about why it made it rough to get good grades, because I think adcoms see bad situations with good grades a lot, so making it an excuse doesn't look great. And I'm absolutely not saying that's what you were going to do, make it an excuse, I'm just saying include it, but maybe not for the reasons you have listed. Just two cents from someone also needing to address a poor gpa. make up for it with an upward trend if you are still going, a great mcat and stell EC's.
Or completely ignore me, what do I know:) good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I had a similar circumstance to you but happened later in life during school and included it in my PS. Don't include it to use as an excuse but instead how you grew from it. Like in medicine, you encounter a difficulty, you handle it and learn from it, and now you are better because of it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
This is OK to mention
Both of my parents died when i was ~3. For all legal purposes this made me a ward of the state/orphan even though I was raised by my grandmother. Should I include this in my personal statement along with my grandma having to stretch 1 sub-minimum wage paycheck across 4 dependents?

This will come off as making excuses.
I wanted to include this to show I never really had a traditional family unit supporting me which contributed to my lower GPA[/QUOTE]

Reactions: 1 users

I wanted to include this to show I never really had a traditional family unit supporting me which contributed to my lower GPA
Include this as part of being disadvantaged. I'm not sure is AACOMAS has a section like that anymore. If they don't, find a way to mention it as part of your story, but don't make mention of your GPA. People can put 2 and 2 together on their own.

Reactions: 1 users
I think it would be fine to mention challenges you've overcome, but as others have said, don't make any excuses. If you feel like you need to have an excuse for something, address this if asked in your interview (and make sure you've thought of a great response, spinning your deficiency in some sort of positive light). Best of luck!