In search of a comfortable desk chair

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor_ruski

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Fam. Hello. I am in need of assistance.

Does anyone have recommendations for a really great chair?? I feel a little bit ridiculous asking for help, but I want to find a chair that will last!

I have been trying, relatively unsuccessfully, to find the perfect desk chair. I need something with good lumbar support and a seat with a decent amount of cushion because my tailbone gets soooo sore after studying for hours on end.

I’ve gone to Staples etc and have tried out all of their chairs, and of course my favorites have been out of my price range. Ideally, I want to spend around $150.

Amazon reviews are too conflicting, so I’m hoping someone’s personal experience can point me in the right direction. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Go on Craigslist and search for "Herman Miller" or other high quality brands. I found a lightly used Aeron for $150. Sometimes companies or whoever will have a bunch they need to get rid of for cheap-ish.

Reactions: 2 users
Been over a year with this one and it's been great!

Screen Shot 2018-06-02 at 11.20.10 PM.png

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Go on Craigslist and search for "Herman Miller" or other high quality brands. I found a lightly used Aeron for $150. Sometimes companies or whoever will have a bunch they need to get rid of for cheap-ish.
Craigslist in my area is so disappointing. Hopefully something good will pop up in the next month or so! I would love a Herman Miller!!

Reactions: 1 user
Fam. Hello. I am in need of assistance.

Does anyone have recommendations for a really great chair?? I feel a little bit ridiculous asking for help, but I want to find a chair that will last!

I have been trying, relatively unsuccessfully, to find the perfect desk chair. I need something with good lumbar support and a seat with a decent amount of cushion because my tailbone gets soooo sore after studying for hours on end.

I’ve gone to Staples etc and have tried out all of their chairs, and of course my favorites have been out of my price range. Ideally, I want to spend around $150.

Amazon reviews are too conflicting, so I’m hoping someone’s personal experience can point me in the right direction. Thanks!!

I have a Herman Miller Embody, it is a little over the budget you have outlined, but it is worth every penny and if you are able to, I would try to find a used one. Super comfortable chair designed by physicians

My dad actually works with herman miller, so at the risk of sounding like a total shill I really really really recommend finding a used Aeron or an Equa chair (you should be able to find the latter at a fairer price).

Reactions: 1 users
If you decide to get a chair in the Herman Miller familily, make sure to get right chair size. The Aeron, for example come in sizes A, B, and C. You can determine the size by feeling for the bumps in the upper back crevasse of the chair. One bump = sz A, two bumps = sz B and so on...Most folks fit into a size B, but if you are taller or bigger than average then you might need a sz C.

I have an Aeron, am not in love with it. I will sell you mine. That is to say i think the chair is overhyped.

What don't you like about it? Just not worth the cost?
Arm rests, forces you to sit in a hypothetical 'erganomic posture' the mesh material bites, the thigh rest is literally a piece of foam that disentegrates. No seat pan depth control, lack of real adjustability for lumbar support . I scored one for a song and a dance and still have not felt particularly comfortable in that chair for long periods of time. I have the b size , which is the correct size for me.

IKEA has some comfortable office chairs. I like the Markus swivel chair.

Alternative to a chair: exercise ball! I keep a Gaiam exercise ball at my desk and do most of my studying on that. Slouching in a chair gives me lower back pain, but using my core to hold myself up on my ball keeps me pain-free. Plus, bouncing helps me get out my extra/nervous energy. I highly recommend!