In-Province McGill Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jamesmtl

Pleonastically Redundant
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, did any in-provice people have their interview this past week? I had mine on Tuesday.....very relaxed...just read through my auto and asked a couple of related questions. Anyone know when decisions are made?? Do they really wait until alllll the interviews are done? My minerva still says ready for review. I also heard they start with those with the highest MCAT and GPAs firts and work their way "down". Is it an advantage to be part of this group or is it just procedure? Thanks for the feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Jamesmtl said:
Hey all, did any in-provice people have their interview this past week? I had mine on Tuesday.....very relaxed...just read through my auto and asked a couple of related questions. Anyone know when decisions are made?? Do they really wait until alllll the interviews are done? My minerva still says ready for review. I also heard they start with those with the highest MCAT and GPAs firts and work their way "down". Is it an advantage to be part of this group or is it just procedure? Thanks for the feedback.

Also had mine Tuesday, had about the same experience as you, and the same on Minerva so far. They said in the little "waiting room" that decisions would only be released on April 24, but I've heard that last year they were up on Minerva just after the adcom met for final tallies, just a few days after "alllll" interviewing was over. This year they are interviewing through Monday and meeting midweek. I'm hoping to hear early too; waiting and stressing makes it hard to prepare for finals. I'd love to be able to celebrate (or be depressed) for the requisite 48 hours and then get back to the real world NOW, rather than have those 48 hours happen during exam period!

By "work their way down" do you mean they interviewed the highest GPAs and MCATs first, i.e. in the first couple of days? I heard rumours about this but would feel very reassured if it were true (I imagine you would too). We could trade stats and see... Can anyone else confirm this rumour?

Hey trustwoman......i had my interviews at 8 and 945am...maybe we were there together! I have a 36P and 3.85. I'm pretty sure that they started from the top as someone i know told me someone they know called (story of our lives). Anyway, if they could get the results out quick that would be awesome. I was accepted to University College Dublin so i need to know where my life will be taking place in the next 5 months: Am i going to be living the life in downtown montreal or 1/3 of a million dollars in debt across the atlantic. THAT is the question. It's nerve wracking to think of especially because i feel that my interviews went great....but who the hell knows! I had France Drolet and another family MD whose name i forget. They were both really chill. Anyway....where do u stand in the whole number thing? Do u feel ur interviews went smoothly?? Anyone else wanna partake??

Members don't see this ad :)
Jamesmtl said:
Hey trustwoman......i had my interviews at 8 and 945am...maybe we were there together! I have a 36P and 3.85. I'm pretty sure that they started from the top as someone i know told me someone they know called (story of our lives). Anyway, if they could get the results out quick that would be awesome. I was accepted to University College Dublin so i need to know where my life will be taking place in the next 5 months: Am i going to be living the life in downtown montreal or 1/3 of a million dollars in debt across the atlantic. THAT is the question. It's nerve wracking to think of especially because i feel that my interviews went great....but who the hell knows! I had France Drolet and another family MD whose name i forget. They were both really chill. Anyway....where do u stand in the whole number thing? Do u feel ur interviews went smoothly?? Anyone else wanna partake??

My interviews were at 12:30 and 1:15 - we missed each other. (I have a 3.74 and 35S.) So this friend of your friend called admissions and they confirmed that the best scores were interviewed first? (I didn't fully understand your explanation, but if that is the case then second day of eight is not bad, right?) So far it fits, I scored less than you (but still well, I think) and was interviewed about 4 hours later. Now we just need to know the scores of someone who was in on Monday - if they were higher than yours, that's a good indication that we're on track. Keep in mind that there were ~120 interviews for 74 spots (I think) so our odds are pretty good regardless. Stay in Montreal if you can, for sure. So much less debt and a great education!! I had two MDs interview me - one older man who is a professor and one family MD. The interviews went smoothly and well; I was expecting them to, as my volunteer/medical/work experience is arguably my strongest point. They complimented me on my accomplishments and were very warm, but without "giving anything away". Of course, as you say, who the hell knows? It's torture to wait, isn't it?? I keep checking Minerva even though I KNOW there's no possibility of a change yet...

OK, just double-checked. 135 interviews, 74 spots, they are interviewing through Wednesday (not Monday) and so late this week seems to be the very earliest possible time for an answer...

Good luck Jamesmtl, not that with those stats you'll need it. I don't know why you're feeling so worried that you won't get in!

Hey Trustwoman, Thanks for being so positive but we can't get our hopes up...well with your extra currics and marks maybe! Anyway the final ranking is 20% GPA, 20% MCAT, 20% References, and 20% for each interview (which i imagine also contains the grade for the auto since the interview was guided by it). In all honesty though i neeeeed to find out because ive been going over the questions non-stop (and not on purpose). Minerva, these forums and the interview questions are slowly consuming me whole. Anyway, what other options do u have if (god forbid) Mcgill doesnt workout this round? Will you stay in Canada and try again? I'm 23 so to sit and wait for canada might translate into graduating at 45....not what i want. Im finishing my undergrad in biochem and a masters is quite possibly the last thing i'd ever want to do....i need to get out of the lab and into the world.....enough with the introverts!

Hey Jamesmtl,

Remember, your marks are better than mine, so my shot is probably the same as your shot! In other words, don't encourage me without encouraging yourself!

I'm pretty sure I read that that "middle" 20% is the autob. letter and NOT references; references are just a bonus they use to determine who to interview. Check out this link http://www.medicine.mcgill.ca/facmed/facultymeeting/attachments/Admrpt2004R.ppt

It's a presentation they did (it's a year old, but still) that talks a bit more about this. It's interesting to note that the GPA THEY reported as being the "average" of the students they offered admission to recently (bad syntax, whatever) was 3.6/3.63, NOT 3.8. I know a guy from my school who got in last year and had a 3.6something, in a psych degree. I think you're scaring yourself for nothing and your chances are better than you think. Especially if they did schedule interviews in the order of descending stats - you 'n me would be in the top 35 or so in that case (before counting the interview scores).

As for me, if I don't get in, I'll spend a year working, travelling and possibly writing a book, and then try again. I have a really weird academic history and it's almost impossible to predict who and where will take me, but I'm pretty sure I'd get interviewed at more schools next year because this year's grades were great (only Quebec schools got those, due to app. deadlines). I don't mind waiting. I went back to school at 26 to qualify for med school, and it has turned out to entail getting a whole other undergrad degree (I already had two in social sciences, this one's in biology). The trick is to enjoy the "meantime" stuff; I also work 30+ hours/week at a job I enjoy, I have a boyfriend and two cats and a good social life.

Please don't convince yourself that starting medical school at 25, or even 26, is too old. I'll be turning 30 just before starting - IF I get in this cycle! You'd be shocked at how little you really change over the years, and how old you don't feel. (And as a guy, you don't even have to deal with biological clock issues.) If you really want to stay in Canada (and spare yourself the "1/3 million" debt, as you say), then do so; you will get in fairly soon. You don't have "marginal" stats or anything. Besides, a few years of life experience and discovering your passion (yes, it might be "medicine", but medicine in the service of what?) will only make you more attractive as a candidate. The biggest mistake I see in this forum is calling them (and thinking of them, even) as "extracurrics". You should only do volunteer work and community service if you really feel it; only if you would want to do it anyway, even if you were never allowed to put it on your resume or your apps. I suspect adcomms feel this way as well.

However, I'm totally with you on the freaking out. It's even hindering my last few weeks of schoolwork! The important thing, I suspect, is to realize that it's out of your hands now, you'll know when you know and there's nothing you can do to affect the outcome - worrying and reviewing and bargaining with the Almighty won't do a damn thing. Now I just need to follow my own advice, and "come down to earth" and back to the things I NEED to do today. Limit your forum-trolling time - it won't tell you anything new and will just keep you hung up on this. I am going to try to avoid these forums myself, so if you want to continue this conversation, email me at trustwomen(at)yahoo.com. (It does feel good to know that I'm a) not alone and b) not crazy for obsessing about this.)

Maybe you want to ask yourself if you are really willing to go to Ireland and deal with all the IMG stuff, rather than waiting another year. If it's because you're too afraid you'll change your mind during that year, decide you don't want to be a doctor (and then have to rethink your whole future), that's a good reason not to go to Ireland. Because you'll have the same thoughts there, meaning you'll either quit school (money wasted) or, worse, finish school anyway and start a lifetime of work that won't make you happy.

All the best Jamesmtl, and I'm sure we'll see each other at McGill next fall!!!

Hey Jamesmtl and trustwomen

Both of you have great stats. Hope you two will get in McGill. All the best of luck :luck: :D

trustwomen: good post above

Hi,

Not that you need to hear it, but both of you really have nothing to worry about...your stats are great and though nothing is guaranteed, they are superior to many of the people in my class (i.e., me at least as far as the MCAT is concerned)...the trick is to try and forget about them (easier said than done! heh) and wait for the Minerva status change...as well, James, its really not the end of the world to take a year off--considering the difficulties in returning to Canada after going to school abroad...in fact, I took two years off (NOT a masters) and loved every second of it...with the exception of McGill (the premeds), the average entering age I do believe is around 24....

good luck and don't hesitate to post any questions at all! :)

-prag

Prag said:
Not that you need to hear it, but both of you really have nothing to worry about...your stats are great and though nothing is guaranteed, they are superior to many of the people in my class

What gave you the impression that we don't need to hear it? It think it's quite clear that we are both slabs of insecure student-flesh right now!!! I, for one, am thrilled to hear it. So, Prag, how soon after your interview did Minerva change? Am I being totally unrealistic to think I might hear before the weekend? And why can't I focus on anything else?

trustwomen said:
What gave you the impression that we don't need to hear it? It think it's quite clear that we are both slabs of insecure student-flesh right now!!! I, for one, am thrilled to hear it. So, Prag, how soon after your interview did Minerva change? Am I being totally unrealistic to think I might hear before the weekend? And why can't I focus on anything else?

Haha...slabs of insecure student-flesh, eh? :) I can definitely relate to those feelings going through the application process...my Minerva status changed 2 days after all the interviews were completed (i.e., about a week after my actual interview)...however, I do know that the admissions office is mostly new this year and so they may be doing things a bit differently...you could very well hear before the weekend, but if last year was any indication, next week may be more probable...

I remember last year applying to the states as well and having rolling admissions--I was fully distracted for the entire year...so consider yourself lucky that you have a mere week of this ;-) as if thats any consellation...haha....regardless, good luck and as always, any questions are more than welcome :)

good luck!

-prag

trustwomen said:

Hey trustwomen

Don't forget to let us know when you get your good news as I'm looking foward to hearing it from you. :D :smuggrin:

So it's the second day since the interviews were completed. Just thought I'd express my anxiety!! Has anyone called admis. to bug them??? I feel bad doing it. Anyway, if ANYONE gets a response be it good or bad from Mcgill please post it here.......you dont have to mention the outcome! THanks

Jamesmtl said:
Has anyone called admis. to bug them???

Nope, but I am checking Minerva every 20 minutes. I'm pathetic. (And if I were a betting gal, my money's on hearing only next week anyway...) Have you called them? (i.e. will you be our sacrificial lamb?) ;)

I promise that when I know, everyone (including this thread) will know!

Thanks for posting James, it lets me know I'm not alone. My SO tells me I'm insane, but now I can tell him - maybe so, but at least I'm not uniquely insane!!!

I'm IN!!

Bumpity bump....

Thanks to all who have sent me their support and warm words during my process!!!!!

Cat
aka trustwomen

No prob Trustwomen! Just wanted to make sure to send a double congrats to both you and James (and others that may frequent both message boards)...heh...again, questions are always welcome :)

how does it feel?

-prag

trustwomen said:
I'm IN!!

Bumpity bump....

Thanks to all who have sent me their support and warm words during my process!!!!!

Cat
aka trustwomen

Prag said:
how does it feel?

-prag

Interestingly, it feels really... calm. I let out some combination of a scream and a squeal last night when I saw the news (my SO calls it a "screal") but since then it's mostly like this chip/weight/stress I've been carrying on my shoulders for the past three years is just... gone. I feel light and free and optimistic - the contrast is especially acute because I've been a ball of anxiety for the past month (why oh why couldn't they have released the decisions earlier?). :)

I get to banish the nagging doubt - "maybe you won't make it, maybe you'll never be good enough, maybe you've wasted the best years of your life on this" - once and for all.

My next challenge will be to keep my head. As a med student, and I suspect as a McGill med student especially, I have to refuse the hype, stay real, and remember that I didn't do this all alone. I'm just the lucky tip of a huge iceberg of love, effort and care. (I have a tendency towards egotism that I will need to fight and soundly thrash. I'm so glad I didn't apply/get in when I was 20, or by now I'd probably be insufferable.)

All in all, one of the most memorable days of my life.

Thanks for all your kind words prag. :D :D

trustwomen said:
Interestingly, it feels really... calm. I let out some combination of a scream and a squeal last night when I saw the news (my SO calls it a "screal") but since then it's mostly like this chip/weight/stress I've been carrying on my shoulders for the past three years is just... gone. I feel light and free and optimistic - the contrast is especially acute because I've been a ball of anxiety for the past month (why oh why couldn't they have released the decisions earlier?). :)

I get to banish the nagging doubt - "maybe you won't make it, maybe you'll never be good enough, maybe you've wasted the best years of your life on this" - once and for all.

My next challenge will be to keep my head. As a med student, and I suspect as a McGill med student especially, I have to refuse the hype, stay real, and remember that I didn't do this all alone. I'm just the lucky tip of a huge iceberg of love, effort and care. (I have a tendency towards egotism that I will need to fight and soundly thrash. I'm so glad I didn't apply/get in when I was 20, or by now I'd probably be insufferable.)

All in all, one of the most memorable days of my life.

Thanks for all your kind words prag. :D :D

Hey trustwomen

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :hardy: :hardy: Great job and well done :thumbup: . I am really happy for you. You truly deserve this acceptance. Your hard work and a long and torturous wait have finally paid off. Now, sit back, relax and party!!!!! Wish you all the best with med school.

(I hope Jamesmtl got in as well)

Take care.

THanks for thinking of me Cheer Up....IM IN!!!!

Jamesmtl said:
THanks for thinking of me Cheer Up....IM IN!!!!
Hey Jamesmtl

CONGRATULATIONS, buddy!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :hardy: :hardy: I am very happy for you, too. Looks like you don't have to travel all the way to Ireland (I think) to study medicine after all. That's great!!!! Trustwomen was definitely right in being quite sure that you would get in. Well, at least you know of one classmate, now. All the best with med school. Well done. Time to relax and party, party, party!!!! :D :D