In dire need of some advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Luka75

La logique, Fais-en ton seul outil
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

First a little background:
Graduated 2.5 years ago with a BS in Bio, a minor in chemistry, math, and physics.
Science gpa:3.9
Cgpa: 3.9
MCAT: 504 (previous: 24 back in 2013)
No hypothesis based research experience but I do work for an R&D company as a scientist/chemist developing drug products.
I have Been working as a tutor for 3 years now, and have A few hundred volunteering and shadowing hours.
I also worked full time as a hospital phlebotomist and as a lab assistant for 1.5 years.

I applied to 12 schools.
5 DO's and 7 MD's

So far
I received a total of 9 interviews: 4DO's and 5MD's and 4 acceptances: 2 DO's and 2 MD's

As far as preferences go, One of the DO school is my top choice: RowanSOM, then comes Morehouse and Meharry and the last DO school resepectively. However, I was offered a pretty decent scholarship to one of the aforementioned MD schools which basically bumped it to the same level as Rowan on my list.

Essentially I need some advice deciding which school I should pick. Although I really like Osteopathic medicine and Rowan, if I picked Meharry with the scholarship, I'd hAve to take at the very most half of what I'd have to pay if I were to pick Rowan.

(Some additional info: I also interviewed at UNC and I am an NC resident but I have yet to hear from them)

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

First a little background:
Graduated 2.5 years ago with a BS in Bio, a minor in chemistry, math, and physics.
Science gpa:3.9
Cgpa: 3.9
MCAT: 504 (previous: 24 back in 2013)
No hypothesis based research experience but I do work for an R&D company as a scientist/chemist developing drug products.
I have Been working as a tutor for 3 years now, and have A few hundred volunteering and shadowing hours.
I also worked full time as a hospital phlebotomist and as a lab assistant for 1.5 years.

I applied to 12 schools.
5 DO's and 7 MD's

So far
I received a total of 9 interviews: 4DO's and 5MD's and 4 acceptances: 2 DO's and 2 MD's

As far as preferences go, One of the DO school is my top choice: RowanSOM, then comes Morehouse and Meharry and the last DO school resepectively. However, I was offered a pretty decent scholarship to one of the aforementioned MD schools which basically bumped it to the same level as Rowan on my list.

Essentially I need some advice deciding which school I should pick. Although I really like Osteopathic medicine and Rowan, if I picked Meharry with the scholarship, I'd hAve to take at the very most half of what I'd have to pay if I were to pick Rowan.

(Some additional info: I also interviewed at UNC and I am an NC resident but I have yet to hear from them)

Thanks in advance
Hi,

Congratulations on your acceptances. This is just one person's opinion, but I do not think this is the place to be seeking advice. This is a decision that you should make for yourself with your family, significant other if you have one, and people close to you. No one on student Doctor network knows you well enough to know your financial circumstances, your priorities, or your attachments to either school or areas they are in, all of which are important contributors to your decision.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,

Congratulations on your acceptances. This is just one person's opinion, but I do not think this is the place to be seeking advice. This is a decision that you should make for yourself with your family, significant other if you have one, and people close to you. No one on student Doctor network knows you well enough to know your financial circumstances, your priorities, or your attachments to either school or areas they are in, all of which are important contributors to your decision.

Thanks for your reply! I completely understand but I was just looking a purely objective list of pros and cons (if anyone has any) regarding the schools I mentioned.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your reply! I completely understand but I was just looking a purely objective list of pros and cons (if anyone has any) regarding the schools I mentioned.
If you give your own pros and cons for the contenders, people would probably be able to help more. By making a list of your own, you'll give us some idea what you are valuing, and it'll give others insight into what they think you're not accounting for (that they think you should).

Hey thanks for your input, any particular reasons why?
Cheaper MD vs expensive DO fulfills two of two for the most common metrics, in favor of Meharry.

Reactions: 1 user
My grandfather and great-grandfather went to Meharry and both had incredible careers as beloved physicians. I have nothing whatsoever against Rowan, but as a recently founded medical school you won't benefit from the tradition, professional network, and reputation of a school like Meharry. You might have more compelling reasons to go elsewhere (finances, family, etc.) but realize that Meharry has a lot to offer. I'll leave it to others to extoll the benefits of HBCUs, but in the end you should go where feels right to you. Congratulations and best of luck in your decision!

Cheaper MD vs expensive DO fulfills two of two for the most common metrics, in favor of Meharry.

Indeed! I thought the same thing but I wanted to hear it from someone else (as opposed to the "go to where you like best regardless of the cost" answer I usually get)

My grandfather and great-grandfather went to Meharry and both had incredible careers as beloved physicians. I have nothing whatsoever against Rowan, but as a recently founded medical school you won't benefit from the tradition, professional network, and reputation of a school like Meharry. You might have more compelling reasons to go elsewhere (finances, family, etc.) but realize that Meharry has a lot to offer. I'll leave it to others to extoll the benefits of HBCUs, but in the end you should go where feels right to you. Congratulations and best of luck in your decision!

I agree, tradition and networking opportunities are much more important than most people think. Thanks for sharing!