In desperate need of advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

worrieddocthrowaway

Reaction score
I’m an IMG currently going through the tail end of interview season. I have solid step scores and absolutely zero red flags on my application, and have interviewed at many programs that I would be happy to match at.

Early last year I had planned an observership, and failed the hospitals urine tox screen required before starting. I was shocked and quite shaken as it had been years since I’ve consumed any substances, but I realized it may have been due to a CBD tincture I was taking that helped with a chronic injury. I explained the situation to the employee health department and stopped it immediately. They were very understanding and offered to allow me to retake the test in a week, and any communication that was sent to both the precepting physician or myself mentioned only that “I had not passed the employee health screening”. Before I had the opportunity to retake the test, the covid-19 pandemic hit the area suddenly, and my preceptor told me he wasn’t comfortable taking on observers anymore. I didn’t pursue anything further regarding the observership, but the employee health department assured me the test results would be kept confidential.
I had traveled to the area for the observership, so I instead used the time to work on 3 case reports for the same preceptor, resulting in a publication and 2 more soon hopefully. I didn’t think about it again, but recently I realized I’ve made a mistake and have been extremely stressed that this may interfere with my entering residency/getting a resident training license.

In a severe lapse of awareness, I listed the original organization on my ERAS CV as I would meet the attending at his clinics which were under that organization. All of the research work I did with him was on patients from a different hospital he works at, and the publication is listed under that second hospital.
My questions are: While filling out my Licensure application for whichever state I match into, I should of course mention the second hospital as the patients and publications were through them. Will it be an issue that my eras CV mentions a different organization? Will state licensing boards even have access to my ERAS app?

No investigation or disciplinary action was taken against me in anyway, and I ended up not even being involved with the original organization, only with a physician who also works there. Is there any need to disclose this on my licensure application, or any way that the positive urine screen may cause issues for me?
Thank you everyone for taking the time to read, I know it’s quite long, and thank you for any advice. This has been stressing me out beyond reason as I don’t want anything to get in the way of all the hard work I’ve done to reach this point in my career.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I’m an IMG currently going through the tail end of interview season. I have soled step scores and absolutely zero red flags on my application, and have interviewed at many programs that I would be happy to match at.

Early last year I had planned an observership, and failed the hospitals urine tox screen required before starting. I was shocked and quite traumatized as it had been years since I’ve consumed any substances, but I realized it may have been due to a CBD tincture I was taking that helped with a chronic injury. I explained the situation to the employee health department and stopped it immediately. They were very understanding and offered to allow me to retake the test in a week, and any communication that was sent to both the precepting physician or myself mentioned only that “I had not passed the employee health screening”. Before I had the opportunity to retake the test, the covid-19 pandemic hit the area suddenly, and my preceptor told me he wasn’t comfortable taking on observers anymore. I didn’t pursue anything further regarding the observership, but the employee health department assured me the test results would be kept confidential.
I had traveled to the area for the observership, so I instead used the time to work on 3 case reports for the same preceptor, resulting in a publication and 2 more soon hopefully. I didn’t think about it again, but recently I realized I’ve made a mistake and have been extremely stressed that this may interfere with my entering residency/getting a resident training license.

In a severe lapse of awareness, I listed the original organization on my ERAS CV as I would meet the attending at his clinics which were under that organization. All of the research work I did with him was on patients from a different hospital he works at, and the publication is listed under that second hospital.
My questions are: While filling out my Licensure application for whichever state I match into, I should of course mention the second hospital as the patients and publications were through them. Will it be an issue that my eras CV mentions a different organization? Will state licensing boards even have access to my ERAS app?

No investigation or disciplinary action was taken against me in anyway, and I ended up not even being involved with the original organization, only with a physician who also works there. Is there any need to disclose this on my licensure application, or any way that the positive urine screen may cause issues for me?
Thank you everyone for taking the time to read, I know it’s quite long, and thank you for any advice. This has been stressing me out beyond reason as I don’t want anything to get in the way of all the hard work I’ve done to reach this point in my career.
No one will ever ask about that drug screen.

While I don't know the rules in each state, none where I've had a license asked about any of my publications as far as I recall. They want educational history and training background, and stuff along those lines.
State licensing boards do not have access to ERAS apps.

You have nothing to worry about. This is incredibly minor and no one will ever care about it. And licensing apps don't ask for this kind of information. And you don't have to disclose the failed drug test.

You should presumably stop this treatment as wherever you match is likely to test you.

Reactions: 1 user
You have nothing to worry about. This is incredibly minor and no one will ever care about it. And licensing apps don't ask for this kind of information. And you don't have to disclose the failed drug test.

You should presumably stop this treatment as wherever you match is likely to test you.

There are THC undetectable CBD products. But yeah...probably best to just make sure it’s no in your system at all come testing time.

Reactions: 1 users

Thank you for your response, it’s helped put my mind at ease quite a bit. I stopped taking it after that incident and haven’t touched it since, don’t want to take any chances going into residency.

Thank you for taking the time, that’s very helpful to know.
No one will ever ask about that drug screen.

While I don't know the rules in each state, none where I've had a license asked about any of my publications as far as I recall. They want educational history and training background, and stuff along those lines.
State licensing boards do not have access to ERAS apps.

You're fine. But try not to use the word traumatized to describe what happened. Victims of crime or of situations in which their life is endangered are traumatized. It may be offensive to people to use it to refer to your situation.

• Love
There are THC undetectable CBD products. But yeah...probably best to just make sure it’s no in your system at all come testing time.

Third party lab testing of commercial CBD products advertised as 100% CBD not infrequently turn up detectable and significant quantities of THC and in some cases 100% THC. Not to mention the ones that fail to contain CBD at a detectable level. No regulation + gray market = zero quality control

Reactions: 3 users
Third party lab testing of commercial CBD products advertised as 100% CBD not infrequently turn up detectable and significant quantities of THC and in some cases 100% THC. Not to mention the ones that fail to contain CBD at a detectable level. No regulation + gray market = zero quality control

This is a good point. Definitely not worth the risk...especially someone with a short rope

Reactions: 1 users
You're fine. But try not to use the word traumatized to describe what happened. Victims of crime or of situations in which their life is endangered are traumatized. It may be offensive to people to use it to refer to your situation.
I have edited my post, it was a stressful time for me but I understand how my use of that word could be offensive to those who experienced more significant trauma in their lives. Thank you for informing me.

• Love