In all honesty, what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sandhumd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
/

Members don't see this ad.

Sandhumd said:
Hello,

So here's the deal. I just got my step 1 board score back and got a 229/93. Believe it or not, I am planning on getting my score recheck to see if i can get 1 more point. My gpa is 3.91 after 2 years of med school and I go to UW-Madison, which I believe is a top 25 school. I am seriously and deeply interested in ortho and have been leaning towards it more and more. I have done and am continuing to do research in surgery (not sure if ill get a pub). So what do you think my chances are? I don't have a preference of where I go just that I prefer to go to an academic setting.

Thanks all!!!!!!
u r kidding me......u have to be...

Anyways with ur #s, with research and good letters, u have an above avg chance @ a uni program. Just apply wisely and pay attention to regional bias- u have a better chance at the midwest programs, than at the coasts.

lool- at having ur scores rechecked.......

tega said:
u r kidding me......u have to be...

Anyways with ur #s, with research and good letters, u have an above avg chance @ a uni program. Just apply wisely and pay attention to regional bias- u have a better chance at the midwest programs, than at the coasts.

lool- at having ur scores rechecked.......

Do you think I should take step II early? if so , what should i be shooting for?
thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sandhumd said:
Do you think I should take step II early? if so , what should i be shooting for?
thanks!!!

Your chances are good. You're fine. Take your atenolol. Stop checking this board and get back to whatever you should have been doing.

When I was on RSC we did not split hairs over 1 point. Just make sure you get interviews. Apply widely. Do all the other stuff. It sounds like you are doing it already. Dont worry. You'll be fine.

Hope you sleep tonight.,

I'm going to echo everyone here and say don't worry about stuff you can't change, step 1. What you can work on is your 3rd year. You have to get as many honors as you can, especially in surgery. Get to know the ortho guys and gals early, scrub in and go to their clinics if and when you have time.

I think if you take step 2 early, there a few things you have to take into consideration. You have to balance increasing your score with doing your Ortho sub I and away rotations early. Depending on your school schedule, taking step 2 early may push things back. I took step 2 early, and still have time to finish my Ortho sub I to have on my transcript, another sub I to fullfill a school requirement, and 2 aways before interview season. Your school schedule may be different.

In any case, you don't have to worry about aways and step 2 yet, Do well during 3rd year. Make sure you want to do ortho. I started the paperwork for aways around May, everything solidified by end of June, so keep that in mind.

sscooterguy

moquito_17 said:
Your chances are good. You're fine. Take your atenolol. Stop checking this board and get back to whatever you should have been doing.

When I was on RSC we did not split hairs over 1 point. Just make sure you get interviews. Apply widely. Do all the other stuff. It sounds like you are doing it already. Dont worry. You'll be fine.

Hope you sleep tonight.,

I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH YOU!! Sandhumd, you need to just focus on your 3rd year right now. Kickass on your rotations, make your GPA even ridiculously higher than it is right now and get good LORs... that is probably the best thing you can do at this moment. Also, try to finish off the research project you are working on.. even if you can't get a pub, it'll still look good if you have done appreciable work. As for your score recheck, if that will make you sleep better, go ahead and do it (unless you can find better ways to spend $55??) But just don't be disappointed if you get the same score or a lower score after the recheck.

And yes, for sure, "Stop checking this board and get back to whatever you should have been doing." :p

Also, if you are planning on taking Step 2 early (which may not be such a bad idea, I dunno..) you should probably starting skimming through first aid for step 2 pretty soon. I dunno, maybe I'm wrong, but I feel that because we don't get any time off to study for Step 2 and because Step 2 scores really do matter to you at this point, might as well give it your all. Especially coz you are not gonna be able to study for it much during tough rotations such as surgery.

Do any of you guys suggest anything different for preparing for Step 2? There's no qbank or anything like that is there? I guess even if there were, we probably don't have any time for it :rolleyes:

chocolateshake said:
Also, if you are planning on taking Step 2 early (which may not be such a bad idea, I dunno..) you should probably starting skimming through first aid for step 2 pretty soon. I dunno, maybe I'm wrong, but I feel that because we don't get any time off to study for Step 2 and because Step 2 scores really do matter to you at this point, might as well give it your all. Especially coz you are not gonna be able to study for it much during tough rotations such as surgery.

Do any of you guys suggest anything different for preparing for Step 2? There's no qbank or anything like that is there? I guess even if there were, we probably don't have any time for it :rolleyes:

Don't know how your school is set up, but we get to set up vacation whenever. Others study while on an easy elective, like radiology. I wouldn't sweat studying for step 2 during the year other than studying for each rotation as you do it. This way, reviewing for step 2 will be just that, review.

There are question banks for step 2. USMLEWORLD and Kaplan are the most popular. Check out the Step 2 forums for more.

You are solid with the First 2 years of basic science grade. Do well in your 3rd year, esp Surgery and Medicine rotation. Also kick butt in the Ortho rotations 4 th year, get in with some Ortho research now, and get strong letters, you will be fine. The 229 is a good score..... There are places that make the cut off at 230, so believe it or not, but that extra 1 point could make the difference at some places. The cutoff for most programs is in the ball park of 220-230 on Step I.

Best of luck with the application process.

Sandhumd said:
Hello,

So here's the deal. I just got my step 1 board score back and got a 229/93. Believe it or not, I am planning on getting my score recheck to see if i can get 1 more point. My gpa is 3.91 after 2 years of med school and I go to UW-Madison, which I believe is a top 25 school. I am seriously and deeply interested in ortho and have been leaning towards it more and more. I have done and am continuing to do research in surgery (not sure if ill get a pub). So what do you think my chances are? I don't have a preference of where I go just that I prefer to go to an academic setting.

Thanks all!!!!!!

I have a feeling that youare one of those nutzo Indian or Asian kids. You needto chill and smoke a doobie. CHILL.....SMOKE..... DOOBIE.

Then you can be like Harold or Kumar. That would be more cool than freaking on people...

Debridement said:
I have a feeling that youare one of those nutzo Indian or Asian kids. You needto chill and smoke a doobie. CHILL.....SMOKE..... DOOBIE.

Then you can be like Harold or Kumar. That would be more cool than freaking on people...

LOL. That's mean but hilarious!!

take your atenolol....hahaha, still laughing at that one....thanks for that.

Hey, I am currently an MSIII who is mostly sure on Ortho as a career. My dilemma is that I REALLY, REALLY want to be in california for residency, but I don't know how competitive I will be for interviews.

My step 1 score was a 233 and I currently attend Univ Chicago. I don't have any ortho research experience but I am planning on taking a year off to do this, (in addition to travelling and hanging out).

I've heard LA ortho programs have step 1 cutoffs ~240--do I have a shot? Also, would it help to do my yr of research with some ortho guys in LA? Any input from residents/students familiar with the crazy california match would be appreciated.

THANKS!

Hey, I am currently an MSIII who is mostly sure on Ortho as a career. My dilemma is that I REALLY, REALLY want to be in california for residency, but I don't know how competitive I will be for interviews.

My step 1 score was a 233 and I currently attend Univ Chicago. I don't have any ortho research experience but I am planning on taking a year off to do this, (in addition to travelling and hanging out).

I've heard LA ortho programs have step 1 cutoffs ~240--do I have a shot? Also, would it help to do my yr of research with some ortho guys in LA? Any input from residents/students familiar with the crazy california match would be appreciated.

THANKS!

Ironic that this post has the word 'honesty' in the title, considering that you are a liar. Within 4 minutes, you posted 2 different messages saying that you are a MSIII at U of Chicago and Northwestern. So either you were lying then, lying now or lying both times. If your USMLE score doesn’t sink your application, your lack of truthfulness probably will.

What's this applicant's chance in ortho:
step 1: mid 230s
no honors 3rd year
average class rank
two ortho case reports
attends a top 50 med school
ok rec letters
superb surgical skills (worked in animal surg labs before, can suture/cut/tie better than residents)