Generally speaking will programs allow below applicants that can't match do an away rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rodmichael82

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess what I'm trying to get at is if a program accepts you to do an away rotation does it mean that stats wise/paper wise they think you're okay?

I would hate to rotate at a place where I just don't have a shot of matching so I'm trying to understand how this whole AI/Sub-I/Away rotation thing works.

A friend of mine told me that if a program accepts you to do an acting internship then paper wise they are okay with the stats (step score, 3rd year grades) and now they want to see if you're a hard worker. The program where I got accepted for an AI/Sub-I has my step 1 and 3rd year grades so is that true?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on each program.

If they require that you submit board scores and clerkship grades it is more likely that they screen rotating applications for those that could conceivably be offered an interview. Some programs do not even ask for scores, and some programs offer interviews to every rotator. In these situations acceptance to the rotation does not signal anything beyond the fact that your check cleared.

There are a lot of programs that operate on a first come first serve basis for offering aways without looking at much. If you feel like you may be borderline just call a program and make sure your step score isn't a hindrance if you rotate well there. I know somone who applied with a sub 200 score this year and called about 40 programs until they found 3 that said they would still consider them with a strong away rotation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did that work out for him? Hard to imagine any program taking someone that low.

Didn't match but got invited back for interviews where he rotated when others with better scores didn't. Strong applicant outside of the step 1 score. Just more anectdotal for the OP if you call a program they'll usually level with you before you go out for a rotation

I've been curious about this as well. I would say I'm going to be a decent applicant for ortho; however, I'm planning on doing an away at a perennial top 5 ortho program and I was curious if I have much of a chance at matching there even after they accepted me to do an away (I was pre-screened, so the Ortho department knows my step, grades, and research already and still offered me a rotation spot). The reason I'm most suspicious is I feel all of the top programs are going to be very research focused, and although I have two Ortho projects currently, I don't have any publications and there's a chance I still won't by application time.

I've been curious about this as well. I would say I'm going to be a decent applicant for ortho; however, I'm planning on doing an away at a perennial top 5 ortho program and I was curious if I have much of a chance at matching there even after they accepted me to do an away (I was pre-screened, so the Ortho department knows my step, grades, and research already and still offered me a rotation spot). The reason I'm most suspicious is I feel all of the top programs are going to be very research focused, and although I have two Ortho projects currently, I don't have any publications and there's a chance I still won't by application time.
Some big research programs will still consider you without extensive research before residency if you prove your are interested in research and have a history of getting something published. I met many residents at top research programs that hadn't published any ortho research before residency. I even met some that had no interest in research at top research programs.