In a bit of a bind here...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

energieraw

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm on 3 waitlists with one interview coming up on May 20th (yeah, that late!), so I'm starting to think about reapplying. 3.6 BCPM/3.7 cumulative/32 MCAT, good ECs, research, excellent clinical exposure, but a seemingly unending string of family/personal problems delayed my application submission until extremely late (mid Oct.) without applying broadly enough.

The problem is, with everything falling apart at that time, my fall semester was abysmal (2.6, with a C,C+,B in three upper level science classes). That took a huge hit on my BCPM, so even with reapplying early, I'm not too confident of my chances with a 3.2 BCPM/3.6 cumulative and that huge downward trend.

Anybody have a few suggestions? Caribbean? Post-bacc? Maybe retake the MCAT?

I just feel lost here and would greatly appreciate any input.

Members don't see this ad.

in that interview, i would be sure to reitterate both your preparedness, both academically and mentally, for the challenge of medical school. the best thing to do will be to frame these experiences in the context of learning how to deal with challenges, and during stressful times, that you have the perseverance and confidence to see yourself through them. these skills are tremendously important in medical school... so these struggles that you had can actually be beneficial in terms of giving you strength and experience to draw upon during your education.

also, if you are very interested in the school, i would be sure to let them know that in the interview. would you be proud to be a student of X school? how would you maximize the opportunities available to students there? i think if you touch upon those topics, it will give you a leg up on other candidates.

good luck!