IMU in Malaysia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dt12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm a new member in this forum. I've just posted a new thread but it looks like it's not gone through for some reason :confused: ... so here is the re-post.

I just wanted to ask a few questions regarding MBBS course in IMU.

(1) What is the minimum GPA (Australian) for Feb/Aug intake? - if it varies from time to time, then generally what GPA would make my application competitive?

(2) Would someone with a background of secondary and tertiary education in English medium need to take IELTS or any other tests for entry?

(3) Is there an age limit for application and are there any mature age (28+) students in the course?

(4) Is the school well known in the country? and finally, is there any other private/public med schools that teach in English and accept foreign students? (I've checked out PMC :))

I've sent an enquiry email to the school's admission office but no reply yet.

Thanks in advance for any advice/info.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd assume the GPA needs to be pretty high. Malaysian schools are extremely competitive, and the schools aren't necessarily hungry for foreign students (like English language programs in Europe). Are you a Malaysian citizen as well?

Thanks for the reply. No, I'm an Australian citizen.. my GPA is not too impressive so was considering another route. By looking at the school's website, UAI does not appear to be that high.. so was wondering what sort of GPA would make my application competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I'm from Malaysia and IMU is definitely the most well-known and the oldest private medical school in Malaysia. However, with IMU MBBS, you can't go far as it's recognisation is quite limited outside Malaysia.

I'm not sure abt GPA for graduate students, but for British A-Levels, ABB is good enough to get into IMU.

I personally don't think that age is a factor in medical school admission. 28 should be ok. But you might feel isolated with a bunch of immature coursemates (average at 19 in year 1) . It's up to you, really.

Haha, all medical schools in Malaysia teach in English, but only the private schools accept international students.

There're quite a number of private medical schools in Malaysia, abt 10, I think. A few minutes of googling will definitely give you the satisfactory results.
:laugh:

(2) You would definitely need to take IELTS if you're international student. I am a native english speaker and had a decent grade in my GCE A level general paper, but still they required me to take it. but it's really easy.

Hi, I'm from Malaysia and IMU is definitely the most well-known and the oldest private medical school in Malaysia. However, with IMU MBBS, you can't go far as it's recognisation is quite limited outside Malaysia.

Thats only partly true as u can go to a partner medical school in the clinical years and graduate with a degree from the partner school. the only caveat being u cant partner to a school located in your country of origin (citizenship?) ie. an oz student cant go to an oz partner school etc..

u can find the details on their website

also its worth noting that the minimum requirement does not guarantee entrance ;)

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I've read their website and was aware of the PMS thing. :) I was just wondering what sort of GPA would make my application competitive as the application fee is not cheap - yeah, of course, minimum requirement does not guarantee an offer. :) I guess it is not really easy to answer this question unless you have a degree from Australia and got into IMU. It is surprising though to note that IELTS are compulsory for all international students.

Thats only partly true as u can go to a partner medical school in the clinical years and graduate with a degree from the partner school. the only caveat being u cant partner to a school located in your country of origin (citizenship?) ie. an oz student cant go to an oz partner school etc..

u can find the details on their website

also its worth noting that the minimum requirement does not guarantee entrance ;)

You got to spend 5 years in IMU to get that IMU MBBS degree. If you transfer to any of it's PMS, you'll end up with, let say Jefferson MD, Edinburgh MB ChB, Sydney MBBS or Dalhoise MD, but definitely not IMU MBBS.

Get it?

u were not being clear about what u meant by an IMU MBBS. it could've easily meant that anyone who starts in IMU has the same degree. i merely clarified. no need to get bitchy. i'm an IMU student thats now in one of the PMS i get it just fine :rolleyes:

u were not being clear about what u meant by an IMU MBBS. it could've easily meant that anyone who starts in IMU has the same degree. i merely clarified. no need to get bitchy. i'm an IMU student thats now in one of the PMS i get it just fine :rolleyes:

So how are you doing there in your chosen PMS? :) Is there a certain grade level that is required in IMU (1st 2.5yrs) to be able to transfer to one of the PMS's? I am thinking of UK/US schools as my choice if I get into IMU. How many international students are there in each cohort? i.e. in IMU

Thanks again in advance. :)

[WGY 589] : Wouldn't IMU graduates who obtained the degree from Malaysia (i.e. the entire 5 years) be able to apply to sit an AMC exam in Australia? I have always thought that anyone who graduated from WHO recognised medical schools would be able to..

OKAY!!!!!

Wow, you were from IMU and transfered to Melbourne.

That would be my dream school if I couldn't get into NUS.

What's your plan upon graduation? Continue with internship in AUS or come back to Malaysia.

So how are you doing there in your chosen PMS? :) Is there a certain grade level that is required in IMU (1st 2.5yrs) to be able to transfer to one of the PMS's? I am thinking of UK/US schools as my choice if I get into IMU. How many international students are there in each cohort? i.e. in IMU

Thanks again in advance. :)

[WGY 589] : Wouldn't IMU graduates who obtained the degree from Malaysia (i.e. the entire 5 years) be able to apply to sit an AMC exam in Australia? I have always thought that anyone who graduated from WHO recognised medical schools would be able to..

Most of us here are doing just fine i think.

When u first apply to IMU u have to state if u want to enter their clincal school or a PMS. Choosing to enter a PMS means u will be entered into a matching process at the end of semester 5 to determine which school u go to. The matching process takes into account your preferences (u have to rank ALL the PMS by preference), your grades (higher = more likely to get ur 1st choice) and the PMS's preferences (they rank u too) as well as ur extra curriculars/tutor comments etc etc.. but ur grades and preferences are the most important really.

as for number of international students there weren't that many in my cohort. vast majority of students were malaysians but there were singaporeans, indonesians and some sri lankans. apparently there are more internationals now but i'm not sure.. anyway u'll find that malaysian students do welcome international students :)

re: AMC exam i would think so as well.

OKAY!!!!!

Wow, you were from IMU and transfered to Melbourne.

That would be my dream school if I couldn't get into NUS.

What's your plan upon graduation? Continue with internship in AUS or come back to Malaysia.
why is it your dream school? if u dont mind me asking
dont have a plan yet for after grad.

Members don't see this ad :)

About ~20 in a class of 190 to begin with -- this slowly falls to 180+ within the first few weeks of semester 1 (individuals leave for personal reasons -- more so because they are holding multiple medical acceptance letters from different medical schools e.g. australia which tends to mail them out late) and by semester 2 after your summative 170+ -- this is only my batch but i'm sure its pretty similar with the others. I'm a 3rd sem student btw. The class is large because about half leave for a PMS.

It is very competitive to match to a US school -- jefferson being the only one available -- you will need to sit for your USMLE and you will be competing for 2 spots. If you don't get the match, you'll get the last remaining PMS choices. Some people opt for Canada -- no USMLE, so less stress. I don't think you'll have a problem matching to the UK -- its one of the less 'desirable' places because of the new work conditions.

You need to PASS all your exams to match; if you fail you'll have to resit to try and pass. Some medical schools (e.g. Australia) will not match you if you had to resit a paper.

What about students studying the american system(high school) from their website it says they only need the GPA and two AP's don't they need other stuff like the SAT? Will folllowing the American put at a disadvantage?

thx in advance

Most of us here are doing just fine i think.

When u first apply to IMU u have to state if u want to enter their clincal school or a PMS. Choosing to enter a PMS means u will be entered into a matching process at the end of semester 5 to determine which school u go to. The matching process takes into account your preferences (u have to rank ALL the PMS by preference), your grades (higher = more likely to get ur 1st choice) and the PMS's preferences (they rank u too) as well as ur extra curriculars/tutor comments etc etc.. but ur grades and preferences are the most important really.

as for number of international students there weren't that many in my cohort. vast majority of students were malaysians but there were singaporeans, indonesians and some sri lankans. apparently there are more internationals now but i'm not sure.. anyway u'll find that malaysian students do welcome international students :)

re: AMC exam i would think so as well.

why is it your dream school? if u dont mind me asking
dont have a plan yet for after grad.

Oh, well. I think most students will set the best medical school in Australia, Melbourne as their dream school, right?

What about students studying the american system(high school) from their website it says they only need the GPA and two AP's don't they need other stuff like the SAT? Will folllowing the American put at a disadvantage?

thx in advance

I wouldn't think so, I completed my high school and college degree in the US (I hold a Malaysian passport though). You should e-mail the admin to find out if they need your SAT scores. From my recollection I believe I only mailed my college and high-school transcripts.

When do you guys recommend me to apply for IMU in the february intake or september?

february cos M2s (sept) are hardcore irredeemable nerds :p

in all seriousness it hardly matters. the only thing that might be of concern is the starting date of the PMS u match to after sem5 cos some PMS expect u to transfer over to their school in 2weeks or so after knowing your matching results and some will only start 6mths later.. and no i cant remember which PMS starts when other than melb uni which expects u to transfer over in about 6mths (ie finish IMU sem5 at jul/aug and go to melb uni Sem5 in feb)

and also depends on when you graduate ur pre uni guess?? i'd apply to whichever intake is earliest or latest if u want a holiday

goldfish

may i ask,

how did you sort out the financial aspects?

thanks

When do you guys recommend me to apply for IMU in the february intake or september?

Theres a six month waiting time for UK schools if you're in the Sept batch as most start in sept and you'll be done by feb/march. There are more matching spots available for australian schools if you start in sept -- their semester system is different just like their weather.

Theres more info at http://imuinfo.pbwiki.com/

My AP score next year will not be released until mid july 2008

can I still apply for the august 2008 intake?

appreciate the help

P.S do any of you guys at IMU carry laptops?

Hey there,

I am new in this forum,actually i'll be joining IMU soon. I jus wanted to know if I am matched to a partner university in Australia 4 eg,will I be able2 do internship there and geta job there itself.

R my chances really low 2 be able 2 be matched 2 jefferson.:confused:

I really need to know so that I can decide properly.

Hey there,

I am new in this forum,actually i'll be joining IMU soon. I jus wanted to know if I am matched to a partner university in Australia 4 eg,will I be able2 do internship there and geta job there itself.

R my chances really low 2 be able 2 be matched 2 jefferson.:confused:

I really need to know so that I can decide properly.

Yes, if you match with an Australian University you should have no problem securing housemanship or a job -- as others have done so successfully. The picture isn't so clear cut in the UK now with the new work rules.

There are usually only 2 spots available for each semester batch so you'll be competing with your batch mates. If you don't successfully match, then you'll get matched to the remaining medical schools, i.e. those that have unfilled matches. Its a risk that you'll have to take; if you do well in IMU, and you score well in the USMLE, you shouldn't have a problem.

Hi there Guys
Anyone here already a student at IMU, and if so any tips for the interview, I have one in september. Much appreciated guys for any help.
thanks.

Hi there Guys
Anyone here already a student at IMU, and if so any tips for the interview, I have one in september. Much appreciated guys for any help.
thanks.

Read up on typical ethical issues. The questions they ask are not very difficult and pretty much common sense. I wouldn't sweat it.

What batch are you applying for?