Improving application? Taking a year off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BookBuddy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Have you heard back from the 2 schools where you interviewed? Are you on the wait list or were you rejected? Which schools did you apply to?

Have you heard back from the 2 schools where you interviewed? Are you on the wait list or were you rejected? Which schools did you apply to?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to go to a MD school then you may not have the choice of staying close to home. The alternative would be to apply to local DO schools such as CUSOM and VCOM-CC. If you are interested in MD schools these are additional schools where you could receive interviews:
East Carolina
West Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
NOVA MD
Tulane
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
California University

Reactions: 1 users
If you want to go to a MD school then you may not have the choice of staying close to home. The alternative would be to apply to local DO schools such as CUSOM and VCOM-CC. If you are interested in MD schools these are additional schools where you could receive interviews:
East Carolina
West Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
NOVA MD
Tulane
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
California University

Last edited:
Yes, and there may be 2 more MD schools opening for 2019-Kaiser and Roseman. I also suggest accumulating 200+ hours of clinical volunteering with patient contact.

Reactions: 1 user
OP With your stats, you also need to consider DO schools. Luckily for you there are a number of them close to you, starting with:
CUSOM
all three VCOMs
PCOM-GA
LMU
LECOM-B
WVSOM
KYCOM

You're fine for any DO school, actually. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.

But Faha is correct, if you're boning for MD, you may very well have to relocate. The "home school or bust" mindset will mean you likely won't be a doctor.

I surmise that you need to work on your interview skills, first and foremost.

I recommend these other schools:
Rochester
U VM
Miami
Tufts
George Washington
Georgetown
SLU
Albany
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
MCW
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Netter
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Oakland-B
Nova MD
Your state schools

Reactions: 1 users
OP With your stats, you also need to consider DO schools. Luckily for you there are a number of them close to you, starting with:
CUSOM
all three VCOMs
PCOM-GA
LMU
LECOM-B
WVSOM
KYCOM

You're fine for any DO school, actually. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.
Hey, Goro - big fan. I'll be matriculating at Downstate in August, but I'm curious about why you're now recommending against NOVA DO (MD too?), as it's the first time I've seen you do so.