MD Improve Residency Match Chances in Gap Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

batman25

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I graduated from undergrad in 3 years and will be taking 2 gap years (one being my 4th year and the other 5th) because I still have not taken the MCAT and will have to apply in later 2019-2020 cycle.

I definitely will use this time off to relax/spend time with friends and family, but since 2 years is a long time, I was wondering if there is anything I could do in this time to best prepare me for success in medical school and be a top candidate for residency programs. FYI I have done a lot of research, clinical work, EMT during undergrad and am committed to a career as physician/surgeon and developed an early interest in orthopedics.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

What is "a lot" of research?

Probably do more research, keep volunteering, work as an EMT, spend the next 12 months studying for the MCAT and aim for >95th percentile. I have read on here that pretty much the only pre-med thing people care about from residency point of view is research. But you still have to get into medical school first, so keep checking off those boxes too.

Status
Not open for further replies.