Impressions of U Chicago?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DAC

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are your impressions of the program at U Chicago? How would you compare it to some of the East Coast programs with respect to reputation?

Members don't see this ad.

DAC said:
What are your impressions of the program at U Chicago? How would you compare it to some of the East Coast programs with respect to reputation?

I thought it was a wonderful place. It stands up to all the east coast places in terms of reputation. If you are deciding between top east coast places and U of C, just choose based on how good a fit you feel the program/city is for you because you can't go wrong. Trying to rank the top 10 programs in order is futile and you'll never get a consensus, but I'd say U of C is among them.

I agree - U Chicago has an excellent reputation that can compete with virtually any program & will certainly not limit you from achieving any goals. In the end, it comes down to subjective feelings & geography when deciding between programs of that caliber.

Members don't see this ad :)
U oF C sucks!! CHeck the rankings for the last 5 yrs. It's not even ranked in Cards. Rush is such a much better choice( #34 or so), and it's been consistently been so. U of C is just riding on it's reputation. I have a friend there and he says that it's mighty malignant. Besides, the top docs have left and are leaving for greener pastures. While we are at it, NW is not any better with its abundance of priviledged patient population, and baby-sat residents. Dr. Jameison from Harrisons is not a big enough force to save NW!True, it has a new state -of- the-art building that looks like Harrods in West end London, but one cannot truly expect to be an independent thinker at NW. Rush is fairly new about 50yrs and its already creating much buzz in medicine. Well, that's my 50 cents....

I think U Chicago is an excellent program. It was without question the best morning report I have seen throughout the interview trail. It is a very academic program & provides its residents with enough autonomy to become excellent physicians (unlike northwestern, as I learned after my month there). It is far and away THE place to be in Chicago & is on the same tier as any of the top programs on the east or west coast.