IMPORTANT J-1 visa issues for Canadians wanting to practice in US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EdmontonOilers

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

As I’ve said before in previous posts, I am a Canadian Irish medical student at UCD in my second year.

I have recently begun researching the possibility of doing a residency in the US on a J-1 visa after my degree. It seems like everyone from Irish schools is going on the J-1 visa instead of the H-1B because you have to take an extra year to write the USMLE step 3 to get an H-1B visa. The other thing problem with the H1-B is that only a very limited amount of residency programs will sponsor IMGs on the H1-B visa because it is an expensive and time consuming process for the residency program. I don’t want to work really hard in my degree for a visa that I may not get so it sounds to me like the J-1 is the best option for a Canadian IMG.

I know all the drawbacks to the J-1 such as - I must write the EE and return to Canada for two years after my residency program. I hear that Canadians can do a two year fellowship back in Canada if the length of their residency program in the US matches the length of the program in Canada and is accepted as equivalent. I would be satisfied going this route as long as I knew that I would have a good shot at getting one of these fellowships back in Canada. I have heard negative stories about this route such as Canadians not being able to find fellowships and doing research or something for 2 years instead (I don’t know if these stories are true or very rare or common or what). I have also heard people say that after the 2 years in Canada it can be difficult to get back into the US for a job because then you are needing to get an H1-B visa. Does anyone know how hard it is to get one of these fellowships?? After doing the 2 years fellowship would I be guaranteed (ie. Have a great shot) at a job back in the US. The even bigger question that I have is that if I did end up without a fellowship in Canada for the 2 years and did research or something instead would I still be guaranteed (ie. Have a great shot) at getting a job back in the US – or would I be looked down upon because I would have been not actually practicing medicine for 2 years?

All the upper years over here in Ireland say that they have never heard of anyone having a problem and fellowships are usually attainable. The school administration says they have never gotten complaints from past Canadian UCD grads calling the school back and having problems with this. What is worrying me though is that after researching the issue on the internet I have heard many people saying that the J-1 is not a good option and it is hard to make the transition from the US to Canada and then back to the US. There is no way for me to get into contact with past Canadian Irish grads who have gotten far enough in the J-1 process to answer these questions for me so I am completely in the dark on this one. I was hoping someone could help.

I also got my aunt to sponsor me for a green card in the US last week. She said it could take anywhere from 5-10 years to get this green card. Because Im in my second year at UCD and plan to take a year to do research/irish internship at the end of my degree it is quite possible that I could get this green card in the middle of my US residency program!!! So my last question is – if I got this green card while doing a residency in the US could I convert my J-1 visa to the green card so I did not have to return to Canada for the two years and so I could work in the US directly after my US residency? Or would I have to return to Canada for the 2 years regardless? Could this Green card get me back into the US after the 2 years in Canada if I had to do them?

I am also aware of the possibility of getting a J-1 waiver but I hear this is hard to get so I don’t want to even consider it as an option. Ill try, but I don’t think its something I Canadian IMG should hang his/her hat on.

Thanks for your help guys. Ill try and keep it shorter next time.

Members don't see this ad.

Once you have your licensing, couldn't you get a TN-1 Visa as a physician under NAFTA as a Canadian citizen?

From my research, the TN-1 is about eleventy times better than the H1-b (once you are licensed and did your 2 years outside the USA). No need for the company to prove it can't find a US employee, far quicker application and approval process, and indefinite renewability.

As well, the J-1 visa only seems to specify a _residency requirement_. Would it be possibly to live in Canada, but commute to the USA?

SomeGuy said:
Once you have your licensing, couldn't you get a TN-1 Visa as a physician under NAFTA as a Canadian citizen?

From my research, the TN-1 is about eleventy times better than the H1-b (once you are licensed and did your 2 years outside the USA). No need for the company to prove it can't find a US employee, far quicker application and approval process, and indefinite renewability.

As well, the J-1 visa only seems to specify a _residency requirement_. Would it be possibly to live in Canada, but commute to the USA?

on TN you cannot practice as an MD. you can do research but you are not treated as a MD. just do a search on TN visa on google.
it is being approved by the american boards. it is not a visa issue only.