Important AMCAS Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dietsprite

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I applied last year as a MD-only applicant, but I realized during the application cycle that research is a part of my life, so I would like to try out for the MD-PhD track. Thus, I ended up not going through with my MD-only applications. Now, I think I may need to take the MCAT again because MD-PhD MCAT scores need to be higher than that for MD-only. My question is-- do I need to use my same AMCAS from last year, or can I make a new AMCAS account? I'd rather make a new one so that I can have a fresh slate so that my previous MCAT score doesn't show up on my current application for this year, which will be sent to MD-PhD schools, not MD-only programs. If anyone knows anything about this, I would appreciate any information. Thanks, and good luck to all!

Actually, I think your AMCAS ID will remain the same. All your MCAT scores will be reported. Unfortunately, I don't think there is a way around it.

Actually, I think your AMCAS ID will remain the same. All your MCAT scores will be reported. Unfortunately, I don't think there is a way around it.

Correct.

AMCAS ID will be the same (I still use mine for my USMLE board exams).

AMCAS application will have to be filled out again. The AMCAS application is a separate computer application for every year, nothing from last year will transfer over (this is a pain when reentering your coursework). Also, transcripts will need to be resent as well as LORs, I believe.

All MCAT scores taken within the past several years will be reported, you have no choice in the matter.

-admissions committee interviewer / senior medical student (~43 hours to go)

Oh yeah, regarding the whole MD /PhD thing. Your AMCAS application still gets sent to the medical school admissions committee; the major difference is that a copy is also given to the graduate school / PhD program admissions committee. Obviously, the selection process is a little more involved, but the medical admissions committee is involved with both MD and MD/PhD applicants at most of the programs out there.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
AMCAS application will have to be filled out again. The AMCAS application is a separate computer application for every year, nothing from last year will transfer over (this is a pain when reentering your coursework). Also, transcripts will need to be resent as well as LORs, I believe.

Everything was true except for this part. My application transferred over just fine. You had to "re-enter" it where it all rolled over with your information still entered and you just had to click continue/ok the whole way through.

Everything was true except for this part. My application transferred over just fine. You had to "re-enter" it where it all rolled over with your information still entered and you just had to click continue/ok the whole way through.

I stand corrected. That must be an upgrade for this year.

I stand corrected. That must be an upgrade for this year.

Very possible. Its also kind of annoying because if you want to change your personal statement, etc. you can't just delete your old one and leave it incomplete until you are ready. They put your old one in there and then mark it as complete. If you delete it you are required to leave some characters in the box so it still looks complete. Kinda dumb but it saved a ton of time just adding things as opposed to having to re-enter every tiny bit of information.