AMCAS, MCAT and reapplying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Premedstudent2020

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied last cycle and got a 497 MCAT (although my practice exams were higher). I applied to mostly low-tier schools and HBCUs. I am reapplying this cycle and retaking my MCAT atvthe end of this month.

AAMC said verification could take up to 8 weeks now. I will receive my MCAT score 7/14 which is 4 days after AMCAS releases apps to medical schools. So I was wondering if it would be good idea to submit my application now and adding low tier schools and stating I won’t be retaking the MCAT to get my application verified and once my MCAT score comes out I was thinking to add more schools and put my new MCAT date.

Any thoughts or advice? I am just concerned about being put on hold if I say I am retaking it or beings screened out if I add all the schools and say I am not retaking it.

Members don't see this ad.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think you need your MCAT score to get verified. I am in a similar situation where I won't have my score until mid-July. I was advised to turn in my application asap with a "throw away" school to get verified (without my MCAT score). Then, hopefully my application is verified by the time I receive my scores that will automatically get added once in. By then, knowing my score, I can add on other schools and since I'm verified it'll get sent over immediately.

Reactions: 2 users
I applied last cycle and got a 497 MCAT (although my practice exams were higher). I applied to mostly low-tier schools and HBCUs. I am reapplying this cycle and retaking my MCAT atvthe end of this month.

AAMC said verification could take up to 8 weeks now. I will receive my MCAT score 7/14 which is 4 days after AMCAS releases apps to medical schools. So I was wondering if it would be good idea to submit my application now and adding low tier schools and stating I won’t be retaking the MCAT to get my application verified and once my MCAT score comes out I was thinking to add more schools and put my new MCAT date.

Any thoughts or advice? I am just concerned about being put on hold if I say I am retaking it or beings screened out if I add all the schools and say I am not retaking it.

This is fine, except remember that schools can screen you out based on your original 497. They are not obligated to wait until your new score is released. Therefore, I would verify with ONE school that you don't care too much about, and then add more schools once your new score is released.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the above poster. Submit to one throwaway school to get verified and submit to all other schools when you get your new MCAT score back. Also apply DO this cycle as well.

Reactions: 1 user
If I add the other schools after my score is released (7/14) will this be too late?

Yes, it is early. Stop worrying about this and go kick the MCAT's butt!

Reactions: 1 user