Importance of research for matching gen surg

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dares Dareson

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I keep seeing these "what are my chances" threads where someone is like "230 on step, good LORs, 17 publications with 12 first authors...what are my chances?"

So, I essentially have no publications. I'm involved in two research projects at present: one having to do with pancreatic surgery and the other having to do with emergency room evaluation of EKGs--the second has a good chance of getting published but probably not before my applications are in later this year.

So my CV will say simply "research assistant" on these two projects. Is that enough?

My other stats are:
American MD
Step 1: 235
Honors passes in most of my core rotations, including surgery (although I still have three left to finish)
Two LoRs from surgeons so far, one from surgery director of my campus, going to do a Sub-I this summer and hopefully get a third.
Lots of community service as M1/M2, leadership positions at school, etc.
Background as ICU tech for 3 years

So I guess this is a "what are my chances thread" but I wouldn't have posted if I hadn't come across all these threads with "I have 96 publications but I'm not sure I'll match gen surg..."

The no research thing really worries me. :X Thanks and sorry for posting another of these threads.

Members don't see this ad.

It is important for academic programs. What is your goal?

If you "just want to be a surgeon", there are plenty of community general surgery programs that do not care about research. As an American MD with a decent step 1, you should match somewhere.

Reactions: 1 users