Importance of grades/rank applying for general surgery.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Golden_Boye

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I looked at past threads and couldn't find anything specifically about the importance of grades and class rank when applying to general surgery. I'd imagine rank is pretty important, but from what I've read online step I seems like a more closely looked at metric? I know several people that were invited to interview before the dean's letter/transcripts were sent out.

I haven't been doing particularly well in terms of clinical grades and did below average in surgery. Best case scenario moving forward I finish in the 3rd quartile of the class. Assuming the rest of my application is solidly average (mid/high 230's step I, a number of publications/presentations, and good bit of involvement) and I will be an AMG from a mid-tier school, what are my chances of matching into categorical position?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You will be fine! I was in a similar situation and got plenty of interviews at community/hybrid programs and a few at academic programs. Just apply broadly and get good letters.

Reactions: 1 user
BUMP - anyone else have similar experience?

I ended up scoring ~250s on step II and had better grades in clerkships to finish out the year, but still ended up bottom quartile. MSPE has no negative comments/evals and is generally good. I did well in the surgery electives I've subsequently taken and should have decent/good letters.

I have ~80 programs on ERAS now, but I don't know if that's overkill in my situation.