Importance MS1 and MS2 grades for PMR residencies as a DO student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

license43

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your individual grades in the preclinical years by themselves don't really matter as much, as PM&R residency programs are much more focused on personality fit, board scores, LORs, and your performance in clinical rotations. In addition, there are variations in the preclinical curriculum among schools based on how you are graded (mandatory attendance) or due to some being more boards focused and clinically relevant than others which could make your grades more of a moot point.

However, your grades could reflect an underlining problem. Are you getting a good grasp of the preclinical material? Focus on learning the material the best you can for Step 1 and Step 2 and be prepared to work hard on clinical rotations.

That being said, PM&R isn't the most competitive specialty out there (but I hear it's getting more competitive). I also didn't have the highest preclinical grades (though with decent board scores and clinical grades) and still managed to get plenty of interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
Its pretty universal amongst all fields that pre-clinical grades don't matter much. Just talk with upperclassman in your school who want PM&R and you should get quite a few of your questions answered.

Members don't see this ad :)
That being said, PM&R isn't the most competitive specialty out there (but I hear it's getting more competitive). I also didn't have the highest preclinical grades (though with decent board scores and clinical grades) and still managed to get plenty of interviews.

This year there was only one unmatched spot in PM&R, I've never seen it this competitive in pervious matches.

This year there was only one unmatched spot in PM&R, I've never seen it this competitive in pervious matches.
I came across this little chart a while back...overviews the last few years prior to the past 2 cycles. It's gotten pretty competitive.
Source: Physical Medicine
Screen Shot 2017-08-20 at 12.24.00 PM.png

I'm a DO student, failed two classes and had to remediate. Ended up with interviews in the double digits.. I had some great rec letters tho. I'm the exception to the rule but just trying to emphasize that grades aren't the only thing programs take into consideration. Showing interest in the field is very, very important.

Reactions: 1 users