Impact on non-competes becoming illegal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Junior Associate Laborer

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
With the white house announcement Friday on non-competes and licensure what is the future impact on Podiatry?

How will the associate mills continue to function? After 2-3 years of working at the level of a Physician Assistant's salary, those young associates will just open up shop down the street. Also would hospitals have to include a retention bonus or boost to RVU's due to the fear that the busy doctors will leave and open up a private practice next to the hospital?

In regards to licensure the FTC announced the plan to "ban unnecessary occupational licensing, which limits a person’s chance to find employment across state lines where licensure may be different." Will this open up states like North Carolina?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
With the white house announcement Friday on non-competes and licensure what is the future impact on Podiatry?

How will the associate mills continue to function? After 2-3 years of working at the level of a Physician Assistant's salary, those young associates will just open up shop down the street.

I would have loved to have made a PA's salary at my previous associate job. My pay was closer to that of an RN.

Reactions: 1 user
Interesting thing to follow but very far from a done deal at this point... basically a continue attempt of an Obama-era idea.

Right now, it would basically be as if bazooka Joe said he wants the DOL and FTC to make the US minimum wage $50.

...FTC announced the plan to "ban unnecessary occupational licensing, which limits a person’s chance to find employment across state lines where licensure may be different." Will this open up states like North Carolina?
I don't know what you mean by this part. I've had a NC license since I finished residency. It is hard to get - probably the hardest of the 50 states for DPMs; they require all of the basic national boards as well as a fairly hard test that's somewhere between ABPM and ABFAS... but it is by no means "unnecessary occupational licensing." There are also plenty of very average DPMs practicing in NC... the test is a bit more time and $ consuming than some other states, but it's not that bad at all when compared to ABFAS.

A podiatrist - or any sort of physician - who isn't competent is a threat to the public. There is no way in the world this current Biden proposal (not a bill, not a mandate, not a done deal, etc) would ever eliminate licensing or board exams for doctors, nurses, midlevels, etc. That will likely still be up to states as to what level they wish to protect the public in terms of architects, medical, construction, law, etc. They are simply looking to fast-track some basic technician jobs that need HS/CC level skill and are fairly low wage from getting too much red tape. Massage therapy, food truck, personal trainer, etc folks generally aren't going to hurt anyone if they move from Iowa to Nebraska. However, Nebraska might not want the Iowa nurse who was hitting her fifth on the job and gobbling all of her patient's valiums.

For medical professionals, at best, it might make for future possibility of a national license for doctors in each specialty, but that would probably be decades away from ever materializing - and highly unlikely at that. Also, even if it did go to national podiatry license by 2040 or whatever, getting on payers and hospital staff at the new location is the truly time-consuming part anyways. I think it's good news, but talk is cheap. You might be reading too much into it and hoping it relates more to podiatry/physicians than it does? It is just talk at this point, and I see little to no effect for most licensed professional level occupations.

Biden is essentially trying to thank those who elected him by helping tech workers in Cali and other places be able to jump ship even if they work for tech remote/satellite and live in a state that has enforced non-compete (or the company HQ is set in one). This idea is also clearly geared to help low/mid wage earners browse and transfer intra-state jobs since licensing is probably not necessary for them in the first place (and many of the peers don't have the licensing anyways). What is the worst a nurse asst or a manicurist going to do if they are unlicensed or change states? Bruise somebody's arm with a BP cuff? Give us business by causing a cuticle cellulitis? :clap:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I hope this is successful and I hope it applies to almost everyone.

That said - I read a lot of opinion pieces from every sort of publication and the "social impetus" for the last few years has been the greatly increasing use of non-competes for hourly wage workers. Jimmy John's was forcing sandwich makers to sign them. I read a story about a firm forcing janitors to sign them. My wife worked for a company employing high schoolers and was making them sign non-competes. If your business model can be stolen by a 17 year old you have a problem.

So we will have to wait and see what the actual details are (and if it can actually be implemented/enforced).

Interestingly, I believe there was some sort of public feedback thing with the FTC a year ago where the AMA essentially said there was a place for non-competes and asked the FTC to stay out of it. Screw them. Non-competes are trash.

I believe dtrack brought up Washington State's 2020 non-compete laws. That was fascinating.

Reactions: 1 users
sweating key and peele GIF

Private practice owners right now

That’s the most depressing thing I’ve read in a long time.
Happened to me too, was tied down in a city full of residency’s and PP owners eager to exploit that. Kept getting the “wait until the bonuses kick in” for a few years until I got fed up. The owner even tried to guilt me with “just so you know we have to close down an office because you’re leaving and probably will be letting some staff go.”

Happened to me too, was tied down in a city full of residency’s and PP owners eager to exploit that. Kept getting the “wait until the bonuses kick in” for a few years until I got fed up. The owner even tried to guilt me with “just so you know we have to close down an office because you’re leaving and probably will be letting some staff go.”

Is it always this toxic too in the MD / DO world? Why does it feel like our profession is so much more complex than the others for no reason? I'm generally confused because this isn't the first time I've heard about stories like this from other pods.

Is it always this toxic too in the MD / DO world? Why does it feel like our profession is so much more complex than the others for no reason? I'm generally confused because this isn't the first time I've heard about stories like this from other pods.
In school and residency I kept hearing the phrase "podiatrists eat their young" and now that im in the real world I see what they mean... So many will just hire cheap associates and then let them go when they want to be paid fair wages and start the process over again. Nah, doesn't happen in the MD/DO world but apparently pharmacy is getting squeezed hard

We havent integrated into being employed by health systems primarily so most are PP positions. Dentistry and chiro is just like this. Also many older docs are not retiring and turning over their business and work well into their 70s.

In school and residency I kept hearing the phrase "podiatrists eat their young" and now that im in the real world I see what they mean... So many will just hire cheap associates and then let them go when they want to be paid fair wages and start the process over again. Nah, doesn't happen in the MD/DO world but apparently pharmacy is getting squeezed hard
It works both ways. In the hospital employ or ortho positions, it is more that the young DPMs tend to eat the old (or at least ability of the young can hamper the income/raises of the older docs). Why would they pay a senior practitioner a lot when they have younger and better trained ones who will generate same/more and won't want more pay/vaca based on seniority? Some of the senior docs produce well and hang on fine, esp in academic hospital employ, but it hurts their ability to get raises when multiple energetic DPMs fresh out of good residencies or fellowships would be happy to interview for same/less money.

You are 100% right that PP in cities with a lot of pod residencies (NY, Chi, Det, Phila, Miami, etc etc) will pay associates low and replace them easy. Those places are best avoided if you can't do a hosp/MSG/ortho gig or be an owner. The reason they can get away with it is, as was mentioned, that there aren't nearly as many good employ jobs to set the income bar... so, we are more similar to pharm/dent/chiro (and a lot of them get hosed as associates also).

The ideal DPM career would probably be something like working for ortho/hosp for first 5-10yrs out of training, get board cert, pay loans and save... then get partnership or leave to open PP as owner/partner and make more money and have more autonomy and better hours without risking having your job encroached on. Incidentally, that is what a whole lot of MDs do also.

I once considered leaving my hospital MSG job. Interviewed with a PP. Literally said yes but then backed out. PP owner during negotiations said he was spending 1 million dollars building a brand new office to expand into new territories and that was where I was going to work. When I pulled out he tried to guilt me saying "I spent 1 million dollars for you, how could you do this to me?". Unreal

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users