IMP info if you are serving military obligation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chickendoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just read on another thread about payments hospitals receive to fund residents. This is imp info if you are under a military obligation and thinking about serving your time as GMO and then getting out to join a civ residency.

Link is
https://services.aamc.org/Publicati...d=110&pdf_id=19

The skinny is if you work as an intern in residency program (be it military or civilian) then go off to serve as gmo/whatever then try and go into a different residency program the hospital will receive full payment for you only for the years left on your original residency program....wait...this isn't coming out well.

Here is an example:

Dr. Smith is HPSP - at graduation wants to do IM - gets a IM internship slot. Finishes internship is sent to GMO...gets out of military and decides he wants to be a plastic surgeon. Well, the gov't will only fund his training at 100% for 2 more years (you signed up for an IM residency which is 3 yrs long...that is what the gov't expected to pay for you). So for the rest of the 5 yrs that you are in training the hospital will only receive 50% of what they would get normally. It may affect your application in the civilian world...just a note of caution. If you stay in the military I don't think it matters as long as the branch needs your services. :D

Haven't really researched this..put it is in print is has to be true..... :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there.
thank you for the posting.
if I may expand.
I have worked on three GME committees and two residency applicant committees and just want to clearfy a couple of points.
First what you said is true, but it has NOTHING to do with the military at all.

A we all know (and what hospitals try to make little of), the federal govt. pays for each resident that an accred. program takes on as long as they are within the limit of the residency (set by the RRC) that they can accept. It pays a lot of money. Our dept got paid about 150 Thousad dollars for each class of 7 residents every quarter....
However, this fund has rules. The rule is that the govt. (again, this is the feds, not the military) will pay for that medical student only as MANY YEARS AS HIS/HER FIRST RESIDENCY ACCEPTANCE PROGRAM IS. Thus if you are accepted into a surgical program then the feds will pay for you for 5 years... total. even if you switch to another progam... or even another speciality... if you go into EM, then 3, IM=3.. and so on..

Thus for example.. I have had two applicants apply last year to transfer from EM (emg. med) to surgery. One sucked, the other walked on water. I mean the best applicant I have ever seen in every aspect ... and guess what.. we had to turn him down. why? because the feds, will only pay for him for two more years, meaning that our program would take the hit the last three years of his residency. This went all the way to the dean (cause he really really wanted to come to our program), and guess what.. the dean paid for his last three years out of his fund and we took him..

One thing to note, is that military or civilian residency all fall under the same accreditiation policy adn the same fed money regs.. thus really it is not a military things at all. and I am not sure that you were implying that either, I just wanted to clarify.. since so many things in this forum get misunderstood.. :)

Hope this helps, and thank you for your input.
adnan

So, what happens to people who just match into prelim slots or transitional intern slots? For example, if you do a transitional internship and then do a GMO, how do the feds determine how many years they'll pay for you?

Members don't see this ad :)
excellent quesiton.
Many people use the terms prelim and transitional interchangebly, but besides the fact that you acually have different rotations, they fall under different catageries with regards to payment by the feds.

So Transitional year is considered part of a residency program. Meaning, if you are accepted into one, the fed will pay for it, and then will pay for the program you apply for after that year minus one year. Now if the program you apply for is a program/speciality that acually has in-part of it one year as a transitional year (like anesthisia, radiology, pathology,derm, and so on) you ahve no problem. But lets say you apply for gen surg.. then you better make sure the program accepts that year as part of your 5 years, or at least part of the year, or the program will no be paid for your last year in residency. Now, trust me, the progam directors know this well. and usually applying to a program after a transitional year does not hurt you, because that year usually is accepted for some credit.

Now, how about prelim years. Well, prelim is paid for and is not counted againist you. Meaning you still get paid for your years of residency after the prelim, up to the years of the speciality you get accepted into right after the prelim.

hope this all makes since.
A.

Sledge2005 said:
So, what happens to people who just match into prelim slots or transitional intern slots? For example, if you do a transitional internship and then do a GMO, how do the feds determine how many years they'll pay for you?

I do know that if you do a transitional internship then you can choose whatever residency you want and the gov't will pay. As for prelims I am not sure how that goes....