IMGs Applying to Internal Medicine. 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The past few weeks have been incredibly disheartening for me.
Rejections everyday.
I thought October would be the most productive.

I hope the trend changes in the next few months, because some programs say they have filled their IV slots.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The aphasia question was to prove a point about a hypothetical scenario question involving speech pathologist (he actually looked surprised I knew there were 6).
Haha how did you even remember there were six! Honestly i wouldn’t have been able to name more than 3 unless that was the last thing I read before the interview. Such a random question. Damn, dint know I gotta go through first aid before each interview .
But congrats man! Looks like you did well.
Any other medical questions apart from these?

Is it acceptable for us to write how many open spots are showing at places we have IVs at? Can help give us an idea of how programs are filling up. for example my gf just checked interview broker and a lot of her programs have 4-20 spots left

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is it acceptable for us to write how many open spots are showing at places we have IVs at? Can help give us an idea of how programs are filling up. for example my gf just checked interview broker and a lot of her programs have 4-20 spots left

Yea that is definitely very helpful to know!

To be honest, I would be

To be honest I would be impressed too lol...I didn't remember there were 6. You got this Dr. Keep us posted.

Thanks, I will!

Haha how did you even remember there were six! Honestly i wouldn’t have been able to name more than 3 unless that was the last thing I read before the interview. Such a random question. Damn, dint know I gotta go through first aid before each interview .
But congrats man! Looks like you did well.
Any other medical questions apart from these?

I read first aid 3 times before my exam last year so I vaguely remembered the table lol. Only 1 was straight up a medical question, which is the stable vs unstable angina. The aphasia one was when he wanted to follow my thought process in a scenario involving what the family wants for a pt that can’t make his own decisions, if I would listen to a consult that didn’t have an MD attached to it and it just sort of came up if I knew the types of aphasia.

Don’t worry about it, focus more on showing the program who you are personality wise, they just want a good fit. Oh always be honest.

It would be awesome of you if you did that!

where did you do your rotations?
any publications?

Sorry for the late reply.

I did 2 observerships (total of 2 months) in a private hospital in the southeast (non-teaching) and 2 observerships at Sparrow/ MSU. I don't have that much USCE.

I only have some poster presentations from my country. No major pubs.

Would you be able to tell us which programs these are?

Thanks, I will!

I read first aid 3 times before my exam last year so I vaguely remembered the table lol. Only 1 was straight up a medical question, which is the stable vs unstable angina. The aphasia one was when he wanted to follow my thought process in a scenario involving what the family wants for a pt that can’t make his own decisions, if I would listen to a consult that didn’t have an MD attached to it and it just sort of came up if I knew the types of aphasia.

Don’t worry about it, focus more on showing the program who you are personality wise, they just want a good fit. Oh always be honest.
And what did you answer to the consult question? Would you listen to someone who isn’t MD, wait a min, where they referring to DO’s?

Rejections from St. Luke’s Pennsylvania And Berkshire Medical center.

Rejection: medstar Washington at Baltimore. Not sure about wave of interviews, but been experiencing a wave of rejections lately!

Members don't see this ad :)
rejections-university of wisconsin, Dartmouth (I think this was an accident), berkshire

UABM-6 spots open
St. Vincent 6 spots open

will get info on another 10-15 programs soon

Keep up the good work!!!
is anyone else going to post open spots? If its just me then I wont bother.

3 out of her 18 Invites are either waitlist or full IV slots. 15 have multiple spots with 10 of then having 10+ so I think everyone should be actively sending out emails showing interest because there seems to be a lot of IVs out there still!

Good luck everyone!!!

is anyone else going to post open spots? If its just me then I wont bother.

3 out of her 18 Invites are either waitlist or full IV slots. 15 have multiple spots with 10 of then having 10+ so I think everyone should be actively sending out emails showing interest because there seems to be a lot of IVs out there still!

Good luck everyone!!!
I have just got saint vincent but you already said it lol, I saw one opening on 26 and they probably didn't have time to fill it..

I have just got saint vincent but you already said it lol, I saw one opening on 26 and they probably didn't have time to fill it..
Advocate Illionismasonic- 4
University of reno-2
SUNY downstate-25
UPMC Mercy-lots
UCONN-2 dates for waitlist only
Medstar georgetown-lots of dates
Rochester General-lots of dates
DMC sinaigrace-7
UAB-6
St. vincent-3 (had a spot unfilled today :(

lots more to come! I believe there are lots of spots still open!! email email email

non US- IMG
Step 1 258
step 2 256
passed CS from first attempt

Applied to 60 programs only
4 Iv so far
7 rejections

Reactions: 3 users
Up to 9 interview invites:
-New Jersey = NYMC at St. Joseph's, Atlanticare Regional, Jersey Shore University Medical Center, Raritan Bay Medical Center
-Pennsylvania = Mercy Catholic Medical Center
-Maryland = Sinai Baltimore, St. Agnes, UMD: Prince George's
-Virginia = Lewisgale Medical Center

Also have 9 rejections: Medstar Union Memorial, Cone Health, UNC, Wright State, Hopkins Bayview, Yale- New Haven, St. Luke's, Hershey Medical, and Albert Einstein

Up to 9 interview invites:
-New Jersey = NYMC at St. Joseph's, Atlanticare Regional, Jersey Shore University Medical Center, Raritan Bay Medical Center
-Pennsylvania = Mercy Catholic Medical Center
-Maryland = Sinai Baltimore, St. Agnes, UMD: Prince George's
-Virginia = Lewisgale Medical Center

Also have 9 rejections: Medstar Union Memorial, Cone Health, UNC, Wright State, Hopkins Bayview, Yale- New Haven, St. Luke's, Hershey Medical, and Albert Einstein
did my clerkships at St Joe's...great place for pathology and the aPD there is great!!

Ok folks going for my 1st iv Monday, I'll let you know how it goes. Wish me luck!

Reactions: 2 users
did my clerkships at St Joe's...great place for pathology and the aPD there is great!!
They were my first interview last week. They really impressed me. I'm from the area, but I had never been to that hospital before. All the residents seemed really nice, and I speak Spanish so I know there that will definitely be useful.

Advocate Illionismasonic- 4
University of reno-2
SUNY downstate-25
UPMC Mercy-lots
UCONN-2 dates for waitlist only
Medstar georgetown-lots of dates
Rochester General-lots of dates
DMC sinaigrace-7
UAB-6
St. vincent-3 (had a spot unfilled today :(

lots more to come! I believe there are lots of spots still open!! email email email

@Major procrastinator -- did you get an IV at SUNY Downstate? I'm jelly, that's my dream program.

EDIT: just read that it was your gf. I'm jelly for her.

They were my first interview last week. They really impressed me. I'm from the area, but I had never been to that hospital before. All the residents seemed really nice, and I speak Spanish so I know there that will definitely be useful.
I'm Hispanic too...where u from if you don't mind.?

@Major procrastinator -- did you get an IV at SUNY Downstate? I'm jelly, that's my dream program.

EDIT: just read that it was your gf. I'm jelly for her.

They have a lot of IV spots, I would email them showing interest asap.

P.S. Ignore the haters, I applied on oct 13th as an IMG with no CK score. They said I would get no IVs. I have 4 in 2 weeks...

You need better dreams.
I don't know what you're talking about but SUNY Downstate is a solid program for US IMGs! Great faculty/fellowship placement/location/population diversity, etc.

they have put a lot of money into the place since i was a student, but that CC tower is amazing!
learn arabic and bengali and you would be a shoo in! :)

I was born in the USA but my parents are from Cuba. =)
Nice, I am Cuban too. Just came to the states 3 years ago. Good luck in the match paisano.

They have a lot of IV spots, I would email them showing interest asap.

P.S. Ignore the haters, I applied on oct 13th as an IMG with no CK score. They said I would get no IVs. I have 4 in 2 weeks...
dude, no one said you wouldn't get ANY IVs, but definitely hobbled yourself with no CK...you applied to over 300 spots and have 4 interviews....that ~ 1% return at the moment...
but the more important point was to those applying...as an I/FMG you are already behind the 8 ball...to not do EVERYTHING in your power to make yourself the best candidate possible is just not a wise move.

imagine IF you did have your CK in time...

I don't know what you're talking about but SUNY Downstate is a solid program for US IMGs! Great faculty/fellowship placement/location/population diversity, etc.
I was a student there. The aPD, Dept Chair and Dean all told me to not even apply.

I won't argue that you will become the most bomb-ass developing world internist ever minted in the US by training there though.

Honestly, it was a great place to be a student (nearly unlimited autonomy), but I watched the residents and fellows suffer mightily. It's been a few years...perhaps it's a whole new world. But I somehow doubt it.

Reactions: 3 users
dude, no one said you wouldn't get ANY IVs, but definitely hobbled yourself with no CK...you applied to over 300 spots and have 4 interviews....that ~ 1% return at the moment...
but the more important point was to those applying...as an I/FMG you are already behind the 8 ball...to not do EVERYTHING in your power to make yourself the best candidate possible is just not a wise move.

imagine IF you did have your CK in time...
I agree with you. I know I kicked myself in the ass by not having ck and missing out on a lot more IVs and better programs but life happens. I dont like to sit in the past, so i just have to make the best of my situation.

I was a student there. The aPD, Dept Chair and Dean all told me to not even apply.

I won't argue that you will become the most bomb-ass developing world internist ever minted in the US by training there though.

Honestly, it was a great place to be a student (nearly unlimited autonomy), but I watched the residents and fellows suffer mightily. It's been a few years...perhaps it's a whole new world. But I somehow doubt it.
The "Resident's Suffering" is pretty widespread, id not just in US, every country is the same, I am afraid is just the way it is. Resident are at the bottom of the totem pole so I don't think we should judge a program just because of that. That said, I know some places are worst than others though.

The "Resident's Suffering" is pretty widespread, id not just in US, every country is the same, I am afraid is just the way it is. Resident are at the bottom of the totem pole so I don't think we should judge a program just because of that. That said, I know some places are worst than others though.
Yeah...I was sleep deprived, and was taken to task by at least one attending during my residence. But I didn't suffer in any way.

Thanks for this -- this makes me feel a lot better about not getting an IV lol.

I just interviewed at a small community program a couple days ago and I unexpectedly loved it. A very small hospital with only ~200 beds but amazing fellowship placement and mentorship, residents were happy, can rotate at some amazing hospitals for electives, etc. I didn't anticipate this but I feel like I might pick this program over other university hospitals / hospitals with more beds / more patient workload etc. Does or did anyone else feel like this?

Thanks for this -- this makes me feel a lot better about not getting an IV lol.

I just interviewed at a small community program a couple days ago and I unexpectedly loved it. A very small hospital with only ~200 beds but amazing fellowship placement and mentorship, residents were happy, can rotate at some amazing hospitals for electives, etc. I didn't anticipate this but I feel like I might pick this program over other university hospitals / hospitals with more beds / more patient workload etc. Does or did anyone else feel like this?

Follow your gut. Whatever makes you happy.

Emailed a few programs that I’m really interested in but no response! No acknowledgements or rejections from the programs I emailed. Wondering if they even get time to read it

Going to a community program does it really put you in a disadvantageous position for Fellowship? thoughts?

Going to a community program does it really put you in a disadvantageous position for Fellowship? thoughts?
I can give you an IMGs (visa requiring) perspective who is applying for fellowship this year

Yes it does matter which program you come from (unless you are the type who did 2 years of research before residency)
That to say not all community program are same . I know few excellent community programs ( einstien philly, Washington hospital center , allegheny general ) whose residents do excellent in fellowship matches
It also depends on what you want . GI is tough work even for Lower tier university applicants . Cards/Pulm Crit/ haem onc/rheum are doable from a community hospital but you will have to shoot for community / lower tier university programs and need to have decent research . Endo is easier to get into with majority applicant IMG . Nephro/ID you don't need to even apply as the positions go unfilled

IMG world is different from AMG world . Most places that take IMG are the one who don't get any AMG . So a program which would be a bottom of the pile for you might be the top of the pile for IMG

As far as IV are concerned , I got interviews up till mid January.