IMG..Steps: 268/274; Pubs: 5 First Author 8 Other Author; LONG POST...PLEASE PLEASE GUIDE ME !

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Andrea12345909

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You are very competitive by the numbers, but I would consider alternate plans. The match rate is very low even for US grads. Most foreign apps end up in the trash can regardless of stats. Not trying to rain on your parade, just being honest. What about general surgery? I bet you could land a great GS spot and subspecialize in something that aligns with your interests.

Nothing is impossible, but even with the best plan, success for you will frankly be a matter of luck. Give your best shot for sub-Is in institutions you suspect may give you a position (ie have a history of IMGs/DOs etc). You need to work hard on your connections, and specifically the program directors- they are the ones that can hire and fire you, and oftentimes everyone else (even the chairman of the department) has no say. Also have a good backup plan (prelim surgery sounds reasonable but you should know that your chances for uro will be lower the 2nd time). Gen surg should be more feasible to get into but again the stats look grim for categorical positions.

At least you seem to know what lies ahead and prep yourself accordingly... Good luck!

Edit: I now noticed you have already graduated- therefore you cannot do subIs, and you will have to find another way to do clinical electives (stay away from oberverships). I d say your best bet would be your connections. And find the IMGs who succeeded in getting a spot, figure out what they did right.