IMG Internal Medicine Applicants - Match 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
As physicians we have an exception to PP. When you get your visa, the US embassy should inform the authorities and your exception should be also noted on your visa.
Try West Sururban Medical Center. I am an IMG and did my residency there. Your scores are phenomenal . You shouldn't have a problem getting an IM or FP position there.

Question: how do you know there is no longer a cap for statement of needs offered by health canada? is this the case for all specialties? if someone were to try and match into competitive specialties like neurosurgery, ENT, ortho: would Canada be willing to offer SONs for sure or is there a limit on those as well? thanks in advance!

I'm Canadian as well. I would love anyone else's input on this, but as far as I know, you have to wait until you have official confirmation/a contract from the program where you matched (so Friday at earliest). Anyways, there is no need to stress about doing it immediately this year, as the cap has been lifted off the # of SONs given out by health Canada, so you will not be rejected (like in the past years). Just wait those few days until you get all the info from your program, and it will be fine.
how do you know the cap has now been lifted? is this the case for all specialties or just IM?

Hey guys,

SUPER ANXIOUS!!!!

Non-US IMG, Internal medicine
My stats: 231/227/cs 2nd attempt/no step 3
YOG: 2015
USCE: 5.5 months (All IM or subspecialty): 3 university program observership, 2 externships; 4 US LOR-2 from attending physician
Some volunteer experience
Home country residency, completed this year
Multiple research projects (Non-US), 1 publication, 2 submitted, 3 posters (1 in US), 1 oral.

Applied to 110 programs-compatible and IMG friendly

I'm literally nauseous. Feeling sucks. :( Don't know if I even have a 5% chance!!!!
Hey i have similar stats did you end up matching?

Hey Everyone, I have alarming red flags and was wondering if anyone had the answer. My stats:

US-IMG
Step 1: 237
Step 2: 241
Step 2 CS: 1st PASS
USCE: 2 months IM Externship. 1-month EM Observership.
LoR: 3 US
No research
YoG: 2018

The red flag has to do with my YoG. I was supposed to graduate back in 2015 but I extended my internship year to prepare for Step 1 and do externships so I technically graduated only in Jan 2018. My medical school duration shows 9 years on my diploma. Also, after graduating in Jan 2018, I've taken this last year to prep for Step 2 CK and CS with only 1 month of observership as any form of clinical activity, so that's another gap. What are your thoughts on my candidacy for this year? Should I wait another year and find clinical work? Thank you!
Hi, stumbled upon your post just now. I have a very similar situation ( regarding the 9-year duration of my diploma). I would be really grateful for any updates. How did the match go? what about interviews, did they ask about the gap? Thanks

Sooo, please don't shoot me for posting in last year's thread I just wanted to get feedback from people that actually still interviewed IN PERSON and not "virtual" since the virtual interviews make it so much harder to rank programs this season.

Specifically can anyone in last year's thread that interviewed at Lenox Hill and at Mount Sinai Beth Israel (MSBI) in person directly compare them both regarding which one provides stronger training, the hospital facility itself, the people, the ancillary staff, resident happiness, reputation/prestige ?

Apparently the new hospital and downsizing of MSBI is on hold now due to covid so it shouldn't factor heavily into MSBI's ranking.

Hivemind please help.