I'm thinking of dropping out of med school to pursue something entirely different...advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sounds about right. Problem is... you don't really know what it's like until you're in it. And by then, it's too late.

Same probably can be said about bad marriages. :dead:
What specialty are you applying to?

Internal medicine - was split between that and psych and family Med for a while, was in the process of dual applying, but stuck with IM since I never want to do OBGYN again if I can help it. Ended up performing at the top of the class during clinical years. Don’t ask how. Third year was tough, but being part of a team, being involved with patient care and outcomes shook things up a little. That’s the best I can describe it. It was different and forced me to action.

There were bad days and real bad days.people here told me to see the school counselor/therapist when I first posted this thread. But I never did. I just grit my teeth and pushed on. Sometimes that’s what you gotta do. I think my generation takes things for granted a lot - but that’s only because we were raised that way by lousy boomers. Regardless, my advice to anyone who is adamant about pushing through: be tenacious and be as ruthless towards achieving your goals as medicine is towards you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Internal medicine - was split between that and psych and family Med for a while, was in the process of dual applying, but stuck with IM since I never want to do OBGYN again if I can help it. Ended up performing at the top of the class during clinical years. Don’t ask how. Third year was tough, but being part of a team, being involved with patient care and outcomes shook things up a little. That’s the best I can describe it. It was different and forced me to action.

There were bad days and real bad days.people here told me to see the school counselor/therapist when I first posted this thread. But I never did. I just grit my teeth and pushed on. Sometimes that’s what you gotta do. I think my generation takes things for granted a lot - but that’s only because we were raised that way by lousy boomers. Regardless, my advice to anyone who is adamant about pushing through: be tenacious and be as ruthless towards achieving your goals as medicine is towards you.

Did you rediscover your interest in medicine?

Reactions: 1 user
Did you rediscover your interest in medicine?
No I just “manned up” and realized there is no way to go but forward. Sorry if this sounds kind of ridiculous (because it really is) - but sometimes that’s what you have to do. I’m not a great fit for being a doctor, but it’s my job now and it’s my life and I’ll do my best to help who I can. That’s how it is and I’ve learned to live with it. Can always be worse.

Members don't see this ad :)
No I just “manned up” and realized there is no way to go but forward. Sorry if this sounds kind of ridiculous (because it really is) - but sometimes that’s what you have to do. I’m not a great fit for being a doctor, but it’s my job now and it’s my life and I’ll do my best to help who I can. That’s how it is and I’ve learned to live with it. Can always be worse.
I hope sticking it out works for you. I had doubts my first year but followed advice and “stuck it out” all the way through internship. It did not get better & I felt terribly burned out at the end of it all. I made a decision to quit half way through the internship but finished the year so not to leave my colleagues in a bind. The day I left was the happiest day of my life. Fast forward 7 years, I finished postdoc fellowship & now working for biotech. Sometimes you have to be your own advisor because people around you don’t know any better.

• Wow
I hope sticking it out works for you. I had doubts my first year but followed advice and “stuck it out” all the way through internship. It did not get better & I felt terribly burned out at the end of it all. I made a decision to quit half way through the internship but finished the year so not to leave my colleagues in a bind. The day I left was the happiest day of my life. Fast forward 7 years, I finished postdoc fellowship & now working for biotech. Sometimes you have to be your own advisor because people around you don’t know any better.
Whats the salary like- can you give a range? I’m legit asking for a friend in this case. I know some people still in the PhD phase of the combined degree, so burnt out they don’t want to do residency.

Whats the salary like- can you give a range? I’m legit asking for a friend in this case. I know some people still in the PhD phase of the combined degree, so burnt out they don’t want to do residency.
I digress just for this one post. OP thanks for updating - I read the entire thread.

had a friend who went to Georgetown MD/PhD Finished the PhD medicinal chemistry and didn’t get his MD. Started out as a post-doc around 50K. Now working to get his MBA, but stayed with the lab after his post doc and got a salary raise to around 80K - not an academic position. He hasnt been doing wet lab work and wants to get into administrative side of things.

what exactly did you want to do instead of Medicine OP?

Reactions: 1 users

Sure. Without specifics my starting salary was in 6 figures plus bonuses. The salary will depend on many factors: the position you are hired for (can be research-related but does not have to be), your experience, location etc. The starting salary is subject to negotiation btw. I suggest for your friend to join Cheeky Scientist Association, which provides training for PhDs interested to transition to industry. Their advice and support have been invaluable. Good luck. There is always a way out. MD and/or PhD are valuable outside of medicine and research, despite what people say.

I realize that I started this thread 4 years ago. Just wanted to update hopeless people who are finding this thread, that I ended up graduating (on time, no delays, no red flags). Not sure what there is to take away from all this...but yeah.

Reactions: 11 users
I realize that I started this thread 4 years ago. Just wanted to update hopeless people who are finding this thread, that I ended up graduating (on time, no delays, no red flags). Not sure what there is to take away from all this...but yeah.
What specialty did you end up doing? Why did you decide to finish? Are you happy w the decision? Did you realize you like medicine more than your initial impression during that first year?

What specialty did you end up doing? Why did you decide to finish? Are you happy w the decision? Did you realize you like medicine more than your initial impression during that first year?

I did psych because it would allow me to have a more relaxed life with interesting(?) patients and less hands-on stuff. Toyed with the idea of IM and FM for a while but training, knowledge base, hours and procedures seemed annoying.

Decided to finish because of stubbornness, sunk cost fallacy, shame of quitting, and also some fear of paying off loans. But mostly “grit” and fear of shame.

I’m happy some days when I realize I probably won’t starve or have to worry about money. Sad most days when I realize I sold my life away for something I’m not good at and something I despise. But optimistic overall when I realize I can work part time after paying off loans and do other things.

And no. I dislike medicine just as much as I did during first year medical school. Maybe that will change during residency. Regardless, I have a responsibility to my patients and myself and I’ll work to the best of my ability. After all, they are paying me now...

I did psych because it would allow me to have a more relaxed life with interesting(?) patients and less hands-on stuff. Toyed with the idea of IM and FM for a while but training, knowledge base, hours and procedures seemed annoying.

Decided to finish because of stubbornness, sunk cost fallacy, shame of quitting, and also some fear of paying off loans. But mostly “grit” and fear of shame.

I’m happy some days when I realize I probably won’t starve or have to worry about money. Sad most days when I realize I sold my life away for something I’m not good at and something I despise. But optimistic overall when I realize I can work part time after paying off loans and do other things.

And no. I dislike medicine just as much as I did during first year medical school. Maybe that will change during residency. Regardless, I have a responsibility to my patients and myself and I’ll work to the best of my ability. After all, they are paying me now...
how u did on step ?

Imagine a world where everyone is paid exactly $100k per year to do whatever JOB (not activity) they wanted. What would you choose? Follow that

how u did on step ?
question is irrelevant. He did very well on the Steps. Never had a problem studying/grinding/memorizing or whatever you want to call it. Passion just wasn’t there and that is literally everything. More or less competitive applicant does not mean more into or less into/invested in medicine. Classic correlation does not equal causation fallacy.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Not trivial factors.

I can understand people disliking the grind and pressure cooker culture of medicine. Now that you have a manageable residency and prospects of making a very good living working as much or as little as you want, why do you still have a negative attitude towards medicine? What other job would you rather have?

I ask because some days I feel negative about the field, mostly if I have a bad outcome or a long stretch of long days. I wonder if we take for granted having a meaningful well paying job that very few can dream of let alone achieve. You’re allowed into people’s lives (mentally in your case, physically in mine). Maybe we just get burnt out that we lose the ability to be in touch with our initial motivation or trigger to enter the field.

come back in 4 years as a mental health expert and shed light on all of our psychological turmoil!!

anyways, congratulations on graduating and matching into residency. May the days ahead be more pleasant!

Reactions: 3 users
Your question is irrelevant. He did very well on the Steps. Never had a problem studying/grinding/memorizing or whatever you want to call it. Passion just wasn’t there and that is literally everything. More or less competitive applicant does not mean more into or less into/invested in medicine. Classic correlation does not equal causation fallacy.
I dont know what chip you have on your shoulder that made you have such a mean spirited response to a simple question. I just wanted to ask OP how they did on step because I have had thoughts like him/her and wondered how they did, nice to hear things working out for the people who dont act like they live and breath medicine.

I'm about to start my 3rd year and I feel a lot like you do/did...I wanted to drop out after my first couple weeks. I had no idea why, so I kept sticking it out. Should have listened to myself. But here we are. Thanks for the posts. I'm sick of hearing that I should be happy or proud of myself from people who don't understand. It's good to know I'm not the only one who feels like this. We're in for a long life I guess....

I can understand people disliking the grind and pressure cooker culture of medicine. Now that you have a manageable residency and prospects of making a very good living working as much or as little as you want, why do you still have a negative attitude towards medicine? What other job would you rather have?

I ask because some days I feel negative about the field, mostly if I have a bad outcome or a long stretch of long days. I wonder if we take for granted having a meaningful well paying job that very few can dream of let alone achieve. You’re allowed into people’s lives (mentally in your case, physically in mine). Maybe we just get burnt out that we lose the ability to be in touch with our initial motivation or trigger to enter the field.

come back in 4 years as a mental health expert and shed light on all of our psychological turmoil!!

anyways, congratulations on graduating and matching into residency. May the days ahead be more pleasant!

Thanks very much for your kind words. That's an extremely fair question and you pretty much answered it in that second paragraph. I just feel burnt out and jaded. I am more optimistic now, since the residency will allow me to have somewhat of a life and that afterwards, I will have a lot more flexibility. But that unfortunately does not change the fact I don't like most of medicine. Luckily, a lot of psychiatry seems more bearable than all other specialties (at least for me). So, it's the path I chose.

I'm about to start my 3rd year and I feel a lot like you do/did...I wanted to drop out after my first couple weeks. I had no idea why, so I kept sticking it out. Should have listened to myself. But here we are. Thanks for the posts. I'm sick of hearing that I should be happy or proud of myself from people who don't understand. It's good to know I'm not the only one who feels like this. We're in for a long life I guess....

Godspeed. Can't promise it will be worth it...but, who knows. Too late for you now anyway! Hang in there. Not too far lo go. Happy to see others feel the same way. It's impossible to voice this point of view when everyone else is either enthusiastic or faking enthusiasm.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
For anyone who followed this whining thread I started back in medical school - I officially, successfully completed my PGY-1 year. Without any issues. I can't promise the same for everyone.

I will say however, it gets better...in some ways. It's also worse in so many ways (responsibility, stress, YOU BEING THE DOCTOR). It's more rewarding than being a medical student though. And you don't have to study constantly. PGY-1 year is still pretty brutal, no matter what specialty you pick. But your experiences start to get more varied, and over time I feel like you'll find your niche. I understand more now what people mean when they say medicine is SO BROAD a field. Even within specialties there is so much variety and diversity in what you can do.

You honestly just have to find your place in the entire system. Finding that is uncomfortable, it takes 4 years of medical school + X years of residency + X years as an attending; so it may not happen for a while. But there's a place for just about everyone and every personality, even those who hate medicine.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
For anyone who followed this whining thread I started back in medical school - I officially, successfully completed by PGY-1 year. Without any issues. I can't promise the same for everyone.

I will say however, it gets better...in some ways. It's also worse in so many ways (responsibility, stress, YOU BEING THE DOCTOR). It's more rewarding than being a medical student though. And you don't have to study constantly. PGY-1 year is still pretty brutal though, no matter what specialty you pick. But your experiences start to get more varied, and over time I feel like you'll find your niche. I understand more now what people mean when they say medicine is SO BROAD a field. Even within specialties there is so much variety and diversity in what you can do.

You honestly just have to find your place in the entire system. Finding that is uncomfortable, it takes 4 years of medical school + X years of residency + X years as an attending; so it may not happen for a while. But there's a place for just about everyone and every personality, even those who hate medicine.
We will anxiously await next years update. Don't let us down friend, you're doing great.

Reactions: 5 users
I think a lot of us realize after a certain point of schooling and debt, that logically, we've past the 'point of no return' and the risk benefit ratio of leaving medicine becomes way too lopsided and so the rational choice usually seems to be to push forward and hopefully just be the best you can be.

Just stumbled across this post for the first time and I'm 10000% invested, can't wait for next year!

For anyone who followed this whining thread I started back in medical school - I officially, successfully completed my PGY-1 year. Without any issues. I can't promise the same for everyone.

I will say however, it gets better...in some ways. It's also worse in so many ways (responsibility, stress, YOU BEING THE DOCTOR). It's more rewarding than being a medical student though. And you don't have to study constantly. PGY-1 year is still pretty brutal, no matter what specialty you pick. But your experiences start to get more varied, and over time I feel like you'll find your niche. I understand more now what people mean when they say medicine is SO BROAD a field. Even within specialties there is so much variety and diversity in what you can do.

Hey thanks for the update and congrats on finishing intern year! It definitely does get better! That goes for residency as well as each year you take on more responsibility and also dive deeper into the really fun parts.

I hear ya on the stresses and the you-are-the-doctor part. I'll never forget that first week of July at children's hospital when I was checking on a patient and when I walked in the room everyone stood up and hung up their cellphones. Definitely never happened as a medical student!

Hey everyone, I know this thread is ancient. But I thought I'd post an update, so maybe people might find some inspiration through my journey. For anyone just seeing this, basically, I hated medical school, didn't want to be a doctor, whine-whine-whine, etc. But I pushed through.

Currently, I am a chief resident (not doing an extra year) at my program, and I have done exceptionally well throughout residency, at the top of my class. (As a reminder, I was in danger of dropping med school first year, was doing terribly, and hating it all-4 years). What I realized, is that once you're through medical school, knowing actually nitty-gritty details about medical things is 0-10% of your job. 90% of your job is caring for your patients, working your ass off, administrative bureaucracy, being sociable, having tolerance for bull****, accepting things you can't change and trying your best, and overall, just finding good people you vibe with and keeping a positive attitude.

It gets better. I promise, it gets better. And it also gets really fun, whether you're looking for fun in terms of intellectual stimulation, or just interpersonal drama fun. Hard work doesn't always get rewarded, but you do feel decent about yourself at the end of the day. And there is a lot of opportunity to give back to interns/medical students, who struggle.

Learn to love the work. Or at least fake it for a little bit, and more than likely, you'll end up loving it. I'm not brainwashed or stupidly optimistic, it's just that a lot of jobs are terrible. Comparatively, this one isn't too bad, and you can see some amazing **** while you do it.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 17 users
Huh well good for you OP.

Getting through med school and now in final PGY-6 year of training has only made me regret my decision more and wish I had more risk tolerance to pull the trigger as an MS1.

• Care
  • Sad
Huh well good for you OP.

Getting through med school and now in final PGY-6 year of training has only made me regret my decision more and wish I had more risk tolerance to pull the trigger as an MS1.
Can you elaborate on what specifically you hate? I promise you, I'm not delusional, I didn't drink the Kool-Aid. I know so much of it is absolutely terrible. But it got significantly better for me and I kind of just found myself, allowed my personality bleed into my work and it has been good.

Hey everyone, I know this thread is ancient. But I thought I'd post an update, so maybe people might find some inspiration through my journey. For anyone just seeing this, basically, I hated medical school, didn't want to be a doctor, whine-whine-whine, etc. But I pushed through.

Currently, I am a chief resident (not doing an extra year) at my program, and I have done exceptionally well throughout residency, at the top of my class. (As a reminder, I was in danger of dropping med school first year, was doing terribly, and hating it all-4 years). What I realized, is that once you're through medical school, knowing actually nitty-gritty details about medical things is 0-10% of your job. 90% of your job is caring for your patients, working your ass off, administrative bureaucracy, being sociable, having tolerance for bull****, accepting things you can't change and trying your best, and overall, just finding good people you vibe with and keeping a positive attitude.

It gets better. I promise, it gets better. And it also gets really fun, whether you're looking for fun in terms of intellectual stimulation, or just interpersonal drama fun. Hard work doesn't always get rewarded, but you do feel decent about yourself at the end of the day. And there is a lot of opportunity to give back to interns/medical students, who struggle.

Learn to love the work. Or at least fake it for a little bit, and more than likely, you'll end up loving it. I'm not brainwashed or stupidly optimistic, it's just that a lot of jobs are terrible. Comparatively, this one isn't too bad, and you can see some amazing **** while you do it.
My guy, I am currently in the abyss of step 1 prep, and you have no idea how encouraging this post was. Cheers!

Edit: actually, you probably do have an idea of how encouraged I am by this.

Last edited:
As a current MS3 who has felt the same way since the first week of med school, this thread was pretty encouraging to read. Gives me hope that I can also make it through despite feeling like this. Hope things continue to go well for you!!

• Care
What you learn in MS1 year is very different from what practicing medicine is like. If you truly couldn't see yourself practicing medicine (and shadow people to see if you would like to do what they do), then it's always better to drop earlier rather than later because as you keep going on, the sunk cost just keeps getting higher and higher. Economics teaches us that you shouldn't account for sunk costs in your decision-making, but there is a psychological factor to it all. You certainly should account for future costs of continuing versus dropping out early.

But if you shadow people and find that you would like to do what they do in the long term, then understand that medical school and residency are temporary. They are hard, and people can make it easier or harder for you depending on where you're training, but one thing they can't stop is the clock.

What you learn in MS1 year is very different from what practicing medicine is like. If you truly couldn't see yourself practicing medicine (and shadow people to see if you would like to do what they do), then it's always better to drop earlier rather than later because as you keep going on, the sunk cost just keeps getting higher and higher. Economics teaches us that you shouldn't account for sunk costs in your decision-making, but there is a psychological factor to it all. You certainly should account for future costs of continuing versus dropping out early.

But if you shadow people and find that you would like to do what they do in the long term, then understand that medical school and residency are temporary. They are hard, and people can make it easier or harder for you depending on where you're training, but one thing they can't stop is the clock.
This is true, but also take into account folks, the sheer diversity of jobs you can do with a MD + residency. It’s really hard to understand this (at least it was for me) as a medical student. Sure, there’s the sunk cost fallacy which is absolutely a thing. But dropping out and finding something else can also be very hard. Sticking through, if it’s feasible, will open up a lot of doors for you.

Everyone’s journey is different and it’s completely okay whatever path you choose. Sticking with it definitely worked for me. Being in the trenches as a student makes your vision black and white and outlook very gloomy, with just quitting being the instant gratification. Believe in yourself: if you got in, you can get through.

Last edited:
  • Love
It's rare to find such an in-depth, longitudinal thread--like a series of journal entries. I got to see you rise from the ashes and dust off those beautiful fiery feathers of yours. Thank you for sharing this journey. I am saving it to revisit for inspiration during my future struggles.

• Love
It's rare to find such an in-depth, longitudinal thread--like a series of journal entries. I got to see you rise from the ashes and dust off those beautiful fiery feathers of yours. Thank you for sharing this journey. I am saving it to revisit for inspiration during my future struggles.
Lol this was very sweet, thank you. Hope this helps. Life is hard, full of individual struggles. Sometimes we are dealt a **** hand and hardship is inevitable. Attitude can make all the difference.