Im sure this is a redundant question, but I'm a newbie!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CurlyReese

Vincit qui se Vincit
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I just decided to go pre-med last year, (i was a nursing major at first), so it'll be awhile before i start applying. I've spent some time looking up suggestions and advice on how to get into med school, however, i'd like to get some suggestions from URM students who have been trying to attain this goal for a year or two. At my school, there are a total of 300 AA students out of 21,000, with only 5 of them (that i know of) being premedical students. I'd really enjoy your perspective, advice or suggestions when it comes to being a URM premed. Are there oppurtunities that i should be aware of, things i shouldn't overlook?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey CurlyReese! The 3 biggest things you need to think about as a premed are:

1) A GPA greater than 3.5 (a 3.7+ is even better)
2) A good MCAT score 27+ (folks do get in with less though)
3) An activity that you are passionate about whether it be community service, marathons, music, etc.

If you are solid in those 3 categories you won't have much trouble when you apply. Of course you can get in with a lower MCAT and a lower GPA than what I listed above but what you loose with lower stats is "choice". Its better to have to turn schools away than beg one to let you know.

It would also be good to get involved in summer research as many (if not most) applicants will be doing the same. It doesn't really mean much unless you publish something, but it does drop your app a little if you don't have any research experience. Check out the following link for alot of great research opportunities for premeds: http://people.rit.edu/gtfsbi/Symp/premed.htm

Also, if you don't already have a premed advisor...get one. Preferably it should be someone who has helped/advised students trying to get into med school before.

Not much you can add to that. DoctaJay pretty much covered everything. I guess I would add from personal experiences to explore all the resources available to you as a premed. Talk to your professors, regularly visit at your premed office & ask them about what is available to you and check on your progress. Coming from a low diversity schools as well, I found that my premedical office wasn't great in providing me info about URM resources so you might have to do that on your own but definitely ask to find out. Also, if your school has a minority affairs dept they might have URM premed mentors or resources. Follow the basic formula of GPA + ECs + good MCAT and you should be fine. Best of luck =)

Thankx so much for the advice, I was always curious about how much weight was put on the whole research gig.

well, right now i have a 3.52, but i have three more years to pull that up, and i wont be taking my MCAT for another two years, so I'm just trying to be aware of the road ahead.Thanks once again!:)