I'm asking this here because I want the URM perspective

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorDrewOutsidetheLines

Pink Panther & Hope Diamond
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So...I'm holding two premed post-bac acceptances and an online MSW acceptance from my alma mater USC (I had honestly forgot I had applied). Right now I'm really thinking F social work, people are mean and I do not want to be broke and poor (like for reals, I represent Roseland in Chiraq) for the rest of my life. Besides I actually do want to go into medicine to help people. I'm really considering a double residency in Family Medicine and Psych because I'm not looking into medicine to get paid, I really do want to make the world a better place.

My acceptances: Loyola's post bac pre-health program and North Park University's Second Bachelors in Biomedical Science.

Here's the deal, yesterday I went to NP and fell in love with the campus and their brand spanking new science facilities and the SMART technology in every classroom. I was seriously blown away by the advanced equipment, how nice everyone was, and how small classes were. There are only 3200 students total. I even saw a cadaver for the first time in my life. NP is relatively unknown even though they have been around since the late 1800s like Loyola. But about 6 months ago they hired the former director of admissions for Loyola Stritch and she's the pre health advisor. I talked to her for about a hour and a half. There is no data on where students matriculate or many other questions I asked. north Park is attractive because it is "intentionally multicultural" and "prepares students for lives of significance and service." I also like the fact that the new Provost is super into diversity and race and wrote a book on the subject. I also like the fact that this is a Christian university but I'm not digging the Christian fluff gen Ed courses I'm trying to get out of -- SEEING AS HOW IM THE FIRST AND ONLY PERSON ADMITTED IN THIS PROGRAM. yet, tuition is super doable ($12,740 per semester) and they offer a lot of scholarships I qualify for). So...in terms of financial aid, I think I will be able to swing it.

I also have an affinity with the Swedes, having lived with a Swedish family in Stockholm a few years back when I burned through the little money I got when my single mother passed. North Park is Swedish affiliated with the Swedish Evangelical Covenant Church. I called Pritzer yesterday and talked to the associate dean of admissions (who knew the new pre health advisor at NP) and asked her if anyone from NP had ever gone there and some other questions. Basically she said just go to the school that makes the most sense but that being said Loyola is more well-known in general and I may want to go to out of state med schools (I lived half my life in LA and I really want to relocate to the Pacific NW) Um..so there are a lot of pros and cons associated with North Park.

I don't really have that much to say about Loyola. It was nice and it has name recognition, but it would be more expensive and I feel like I could fall through the cracks and like the professors wouldn't know I existed.

Thoughts? North Park seems friendly...it's not that I need someone to hold my hand but it's a very welcoming kind of place and I think I want a smaller type place to excel in.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
It really depends on your own work ethic and what type of environment you need to flourish. I chose my post-bac for the name and busted my ass to make sure that I received A's at said institution. Support just wasn't that important to me. If support is something that you will require, I strongly suggest going to NP. No point in wasting your money if you're not going to be successful.

Also...maybe I missed it but what does this have to do with URM?

maybe I missed it but what does this have to do with URM?

It seems to be a school whose mission is "intentionally multicultural" and "distinctively urban," the new Provost just wrote a book on race and religion, they just posted a theological webinar about diversity in the church they're affiliated with, and they just had a Diversity conference. Also on their home page on the right, there are two links "creating a welcoming community" and "race and racism."

I've been a lurker on their site for a while now. The emphasis on race/racism and religion seems to be kinda their thing.

And it seems that in general URMs are typically what is meant by "multicultural," "diverse," "urban."

I chose my undergrad (a brand name) for the atmosphere I felt when I visited. It was made perfectly clear from before Day 1, we were a huge "family" and that kind of school spirit meant the world to me. I went back and got my Masters there too.

Maybe it's a Virgo thing. We like to feel at home, lol. Environment matters.

Last edited: