IM Sub-I Needed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vkarp

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I’ve been wondering if I should do some IM subI this year as I’ve heard multiple opinions about it. My goal is getting into either community programs that have fellowship programs or academic programs. I got some poster presentations and maybe focus more on getting publications this year.
My comlex 1 was very low (410-430 range), I failed comlex 2 before, passed it 2nd time (500-515 range). Never took Steps as I’m not a good test taker, Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Your scores will hurt you a lot, prob will get screened out/rejected based off your scores/failures. I'd try to do as many auditions at places that fit your criteria and look at ppl with failed comlex/no step/lower scores.

Usual advice is only do IM sub-I/auditions if you think you will stand out personality-wise, but in general, they are not super mandatory. Esp if you are in a larger program with many residents and students on rotation

Your scores will hurt you a lot, prob will get screened out/rejected based off your scores/failures. I'd try to do as many auditions at places that fit your criteria and look at ppl with failed comlex/no step/lower scores.

Usual advice is only do IM sub-I/auditions if you think you will stand out personality-wise, but in general, they are not super mandatory. Esp if you are in a larger program with many residents and students on rotation
So you're saying that Sub-I's are going to hurt if you're just generic?

Members don't see this ad :)
So you're saying that Sub-I's are going to hurt if you're just generic?
If you are one of like 10 med students in the department. It will be very hard to stand out. If you don’t, at best they remember you. Neutral, they don’t even remember who you were. Worst, you actually did something that rubbed someone the wrong way or they wonder why they don’t remember you/why you didn’t stand out.

If you don’t do a SubI, you start off neutral or whatever your app says about you. If you scored 260/270, I feel the subI could only hurt you.

I guess I’m not completely discouraging subIs, just be selective where you do it and make sure it makes sense for your app.

If you are one of like 10 med students in the department. It will be very hard to stand out. If you don’t, at best they remember you. Neutral, they don’t even remember who you were. Worst, you actually did something that rubbed someone the wrong way or they wonder why they don’t remember you/why you didn’t stand out.

If you don’t do a SubI, you start off neutral or whatever your app says about you. If you scored 260/270, I feel the subI could only hurt you.

I guess I’m not completely discouraging subIs, just be selective where you do it and make sure it makes sense for your app.
The thing is I don't have a score for step 2 / level 2 yet and I'm pass fail for step 1 / level 1. And unfortunately I have to schedule these away rotations prior to receiving that grade back (and I don't know even remotely what that will be yet).

for the majority of ppl, your practice scores and the online calculators are pretty predictive. use those to get a gauge of where you are at. you maybe +/- 5 pts, less likely >10 pt swing