IM Residencies that take Internally

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IMLover69

Reaction score
What are IM programs that tend to take GI fellows internally?

Members don't see this ad.

Variable from year to year. This past season possibly recruited internally more so than previous years, due to the virtual season. Check the websites of the programs you’re interested in.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What are IM programs that tend to take GI fellows internally?
I'll try to read @ChessMaster3000 's mind with this one, although it doesn't matter to me anymore as I've chosen a residency.

I think its very difficult to know for sure. There's so many individual factors involved that it's hard to just look at the match lists of these programs. Each match is a story. First of all, there's only a 1-2 internal matches per year to judge so that's like n=10 per sitting PD and then things change. Was the resident at the program an IMG? How much research did they have? What was the year like (pandemic)? What were the internal politics that year? Did any of the chiefs want GI? Did someone know someone? Last but not least, you don't know how many people in a program applied and didn't get GI.

As a draw, many smaller/less known programs on interview day with in-house fellowships say something along the lines of "guaranteeing you an interview" as a recruiting tool which is not saying much when programs interview 10-20 per spot. That will probably lead to look at the match lists but then back to the second paragraph...

Last edited:
very poor questions, everyone tries to pick the best for the program all the time.

This information isn't well known and unfortunately they don't tell you until you interview there how many they reserve for their own. Historically, I remember SUNY Downstate is notorious for reserving 3 (out of 6) of their spots for in house IM, and even favor the Brookdale graduates. It generally doesn't look great for the IM program when the Fellowship doesn't take at least one of their own.

Another pattern I had noticed is Community GI programs tend to favor 1 spot for an internal IM candidate. The risk with this is you have to hope you are the only one in that Community IM class who wants to do GI. If you are competing against a co-resident, a chief, or an Alumni in that Community IM program, you may need to apply very broadly.

All of them? To some degree at least. Often makes sense to take a known quantity, but also want the best candidates from elsewhere.

However, and I hope this doesn't sound too harsh, but usually not to take people who ask asinine questions like this.