I'm really curious..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spring88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What goes on in the admission committee's minds when they choose people?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

I applied to three schools and got accepted into all three. I never in a million years thought I would be even accepted into one. I applied with a lower gpa than average (like a 3.2 which was the sole reason I didn't think I would get in). I'm curious how much GPA matters vs. good GRE scores, research and volunteer experience, letters of rec. What do you think was THE reason that you guys got into these programs (or why didn't you get in)?

I completely understand and can totally relate. I didn't expect to get this far at all either and now feel extremely blessed. It seems that most schools look at the overall person: GPA, GRE score, letters of recommendation, extracurricular activities, personal statement, past history, future goals, etc... I think the determining factor in my case was the personal statement. I spent a lot of time on it and I tried to sum up my past life experiences, reasons for pursuing audiology, and future goals the best I could, in a professional, relevant manner. My other stats were honestly pretty average. I think the fact that we all come from different backgrounds makes pursuing this career even more exciting.

Congratulations to everyone so far! :)

I applied to three schools and got accepted into all three. I never in a million years thought I would be even accepted into one. I applied with a lower gpa than average (like a 3.2 which was the sole reason I didn't think I would get in). I'm curious how much GPA matters vs. good GRE scores, research and volunteer experience, letters of rec. What do you think was THE reason that you guys got into these programs (or why didn't you get in)?

I am blaming not getting into UF and SDSU mainly on my GRE scores. I am waitlisted at Gallaudet and waiting to hear from 3 others. Now, I wish I would have taken it again, but some previous AuD students told me the GRE score doesn't really matter that much.. I think I was using that answer as an easy out from spending the extra time and money to study even more for it. I have a 3.3 GPA and 1 year volunteer experience at the VA audio/speech clinic. I think schools look at students who will be able to bring a lot to the program, who are interested in research, who will keep contributing as alumni, and be successful in the field as audiologists.

Members don't see this ad :)
I completely understand and can totally relate. I didn't expect to get this far at all either and now feel extremely blessed. It seems that most schools look at the overall person: GPA, GRE score, letters of recommendation, extracurricular activities, personal statement, past history, future goals, etc... I think the determining factor in my case was the personal statement. I spent a lot of time on it and I tried to sum up my past life experiences, reasons for pursuing audiology, and future goals the best I could, in a professional, relevant manner. My other stats were honestly pretty average. I think the fact that we all come from different backgrounds makes pursuing this career even more exciting.

Congratulations to everyone so far! :)

I spent a lot of time on my personal statement as well. I used it as a sounding board for what type of audiology/research I want to go into and used personal experiences, key research experiences and volunteer experiences to support it. I must've done ten drafts! Ten totally different drafts. It was the WORST trying to fit in the word limit.

I would say my GRE scores were above average. Before I started studying, I took a look at the average admitted applicant scores at the schools I was interested in applying to, set my goal for a score that was a hundred points over the averages I saw and that goal was met. I aimed for a high score to compensate for my grades. BUT it was because of people (including AuD students) telling me the GRE didn't matter much, that I doubted I could get in even with good GRE scores because I figured they looked mainly at grades instead.

I spent a lot of time on my personal statement as well. I used it as a sounding board for what type of audiology/research I want to go into and used personal experiences, key research experiences and volunteer experiences to support it. I must've done ten drafts! Ten totally different drafts. It was the WORST trying to fit in the word limit.

So many people I know from my CD program didn't write their letters until the end of fall semester and i don't know about you, but that to me shows lack of seriousness. I understand that some people can pull it off (smarty pants), but don't you think it shows in your letter that you spent little time on it?

All I am trying to say here is that you made a smart decision to work on those letters ahead of time. Saved yourself from multiple panic attacks. :laugh: So, that's exactly what I plan on doing during my "summer break" along with studying for the GRE (taking the exam in July - not taking the revised one because scores won't be viewable until November and to me that's no bueno). ANyways, updating my resume, as well.

So many people I know from my CD program didn't write their letters until the end of fall semester and i don't know about you, but that to me shows lack of seriousness. I understand that some people can pull it off (smarty pants), but don't you think it shows in your letter that you spent little time on it?

All I am trying to say here is that you made a smart decision to work on those letters ahead of time. Saved yourself from multiple panic attacks. :laugh: So, that's exactly what I plan on doing during my "summer break" along with studying for the GRE (taking the exam in July - not taking the revised one because scores won't be viewable until November and to me that's no bueno). ANyways, updating my resume, as well.

That's a great idea! You're going to do awesome on the GRE and I know your letter's going to turn out great as well. Being prepared and getting things done a head of time is always a good idea :)
Do you know which schools you're going to apply to yet?

I am of the same view as fonoaudiologo that the whole application is considered. I think the GRE may become more of a factor if application numbers keep going up because it is an easy way to compare across people and quickly eliminating those who do not make the cut. I spent a lot of time and several months on my personal statement but my tactic was to answer each schools prompt as directly as possible. Instead of perfecting one letter as much as possible and changing a paragraph to fit a certain school I made every letter as directed to that school as possible. Since prompts overlap the process became quite easy after 4 and my 8th statement only took one week because I had so many previous statements to draw on. I felt comfortable getting into or interviewing at all of my schools because I had a very good GRE score, well above average GPA, lots of research, good ties with all the profs who wrote my letters and a great resume (use Trebuchet MS) thanks to my roommate who is a business major. What hurt me were the interviews where I think a bad answer or two moved me from admitted pile to wait list pile.

I've already considered Wash U (MO), UTD, ASU, SDSU/UCSD. Still need to do more research on UNC, Vandi, and USF.

Awesome! I'm completing my undergrad degree at USF right now! If you need any info about the program I'd be more than happy to help you out. The program's great and all the professors that I've had have been outstanding! Plus, in general, the Tampa Bay Area's a nice place to live. We have one of the highest concentrations of retirees in the country- great for any health care profession :)

I'm still so confused. I feel like I still havn't received an immediate acceptance letter because of my GRE scores (1040, 4.0 written). I spent months on my personal statement and have a GPA north of 3.7. I'm completing my fourth semester volunteering at a private practice and put in 90 plus hours at UC Davis medical center volunteering under their audiologists. I don't know what else I could do. I feel pretty defeated. I want to be an audiologist sooo bad!

I've already considered Wash U (MO), UTD, ASU, SDSU/UCSD. Still need to do more research on UNC, Vandi, and USF.

I can fill you in on UTD so please PM me if you have questions. I've deciding between there and the UW for AuD program in the fall. I had the opportunity to visit and speak with many faculty members which was EXTREMELY helpful. The program is quite spectacular!

My best advice to you is work on the statement as soon as possible, start studying for the GRE as soon as possible and ask for those pesky recs before the start of summer. It sounds like you are already on the ball though :).

p.s Best tip for the GRE? Memorize BOTH Kaplan and Princeton review wordlists. I recommend the Kaplan deck of notecards as well.

I am of the same view as fonoaudiologo that the whole application is considered. I think the GRE may become more of a factor if application numbers keep going up because it is an easy way to compare across people and quickly eliminating those who do not make the cut. I spent a lot of time and several months on my personal statement but my tactic was to answer each schools prompt as directly as possible. Instead of perfecting one letter as much as possible and changing a paragraph to fit a certain school I made every letter as directed to that school as possible. Since prompts overlap the process became quite easy after 4 and my 8th statement only took one week because I had so many previous statements to draw on. I felt comfortable getting into or interviewing at all of my schools because I had a very good GRE score, well above average GPA, lots of research, good ties with all the profs who wrote my letters and a great resume (use Trebuchet MS) thanks to my roommate who is a business major. What hurt me were the interviews where I think a bad answer or two moved me from admitted pile to wait list pile.

It paid off though :). You got into some awesome schools regardless! I had research experience, volunteer experience and good GRE scores as well so I'm assuming that helped my application some. The closest thing to an interview I had was meeting some faculty at UTD when I visited, I don't know what I would've done if I had to do "actual" interviews. I would've been one anxious mess lol.

Last edited:
I'm completing my fourth semester volunteering at a private practice and put in 90 plus hours at UC Davis medical center volunteering under their audiologists. I don't know what else I could do. I feel pretty defeated. I want to be an audiologist sooo bad!
:thumbup:

Someone should create a "like" button on this forum.

I think you've done enough and believe that you've done your best. Just be patient, those letters will arrive soon. :)

By the way, are you familiar with AMSA ARC? UC Davis hosts annual events for pre-meds and I used to travel up there just for that.

My advice for the GRE is to buy the book of practice tests from ETS and do all of them so you can study the question types you consistently miss. It also really helps to practice budgeting your time while actually doing the exam because you need to answer all the questions thoughtfully to get a high score. I used the word list from Barrons and the Kaplan math workout as well and ended with a 1430. I think that it is probably wise to get it out of the way before they switch to the new exam style but if you end up needing to do it twice you may have to do that one anyway.

My advice for the GRE is to buy the book of practice tests from ETS and do all of them so you can study the question types you consistently miss. It also really helps to practice budgeting your time while actually doing the exam because you need to answer all the questions thoughtfully to get a high score. I used the word list from Barrons and the Kaplan math workout as well and ended with a 1430. I think that it is probably wise to get it out of the way before they switch to the new exam style but if you end up needing to do it twice you may have to do that one anyway.

I completely second this! I also used the Kaplan GRE advanced verbal work book in addition to the word lists. I also recommend the GRE Math Bible. I forget who it is by however. I improved my math score 120 points in one month using it (took the GRE in Dec and Jan).

I also took the GRE twice and improved my score 300 points the second time around. I was much more familiar with the test the second time around thus less anxious. Anxiety was a big reason why I bombed the GRE the first time because I took so long with the math (didn't finish a third of it). I would take as MANY practice test as you can because the more familiar you are with the test, the better off you will be.

You guys are awesome! Thank you so much for sharing your advice. I'll be sure do that over my 3 month summer break.

Hey all, I'm new to the forum. Wow I am so impressed by all of you guys. Congrats on all of the acceptances. I am glad this thread is here as I am really curious as well. I wish I knew what they were looking for. I'm sure its a little bit of everything and diversity. I was waitlisted by 3 schools... ohhh the heartache! I'm so stressed I can barely sleep. I thought I was well prepared but I guess there is always someone out there a bit more qualified. My grades are top notch, mediocre GRE, all of the extras (the typical rundown of what they say you should have to be competitive :confused: )
Anyhow, wish me luck on my waitlists please! I have 3 chances and all it takes is one to say yes right? Gotta stay positive. Again, I am happy for you guys, if one is accepted to these programs, it was well deserved!