IM Official Questions 2009-2010 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I had a PD ask me on my IV, what my MCAT scores were...does anyone else find that kinda odd? It was in the context of where I went to med-school. I found the program really great, but walked away with a sour/un-decided feeling about the PD. The reason for the sour/undecided feeling is because I got the impression that he's a big talker (from up North), goes a mile a minute and expresses his opinion which is quite strong. I don't know how I feel about that yet, b/c my experience with other PD's has been different. I don't know just something about this guy didn't sit well with me. I'm gonna schedule a 2nd look to get a better understanding of him, he may be the deal-breaker..he was nice, just something about him...help?! thoughts?! The program is in my hometown and I really want to stick around here...

Kinda weird. I'm not even sure I remember my scores!

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, if you felt that way about the PD and can afford to not rank the program, then that's what it sounds like in your situation Ariee. Getting along with the PD is really important, since they write a LOR for you when you apply for fellowship. To be honest, scores are only one component of your application, and MCAT isn't one of them. If the PD is going to judge you by numbers alone, and that bugs you, then why would you want take a chance and go to a program like that? It sounds like the program would be missing out without you.

I didn't originally apply to Duke, but then after reading up about the program, I decided it would be a good place to send an application...on November 2nd...the last day they accept applications. I don't expect too much, but I was wondering if anyone knows if you have a reasonable shot at getting an invite even if you apply so late.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't originally apply to Duke, but then after reading up about the program, I decided it would be a good place to send an application...on November 2nd...the last day they accept applications. I don't expect too much, but I was wondering if anyone knows if you have a reasonable shot at getting an invite even if you apply so late.

I would send them an e-mail to get your application noticed. I think many of these programs have pre-screened and may not pay much attention to an application popping in at their deadline.

Duke is an outstanding program,... surprised you overlooked it.

I had a PD ask me on my IV, what my MCAT scores were...does anyone else find that kinda odd? It was in the context of where I went to med-school. I found the program really great, but walked away with a sour/un-decided feeling about the PD. The reason for the sour/undecided feeling is because I got the impression that he's a big talker (from up North), goes a mile a minute and expresses his opinion which is quite strong. I don't know how I feel about that yet, b/c my experience with other PD's has been different. I don't know just something about this guy didn't sit well with me. I'm gonna schedule a 2nd look to get a better understanding of him, he may be the deal-breaker..he was nice, just something about him...help?! thoughts?! The program is in my hometown and I really want to stick around here...

Program directors are usually neat people that somehow or another got involved in the residency program. The PD may have just been rather garrulous during the interview to appear friendly, but in real life and to his/her residents, he may be the next best thing since sliced bread. If possible, ask the residents what is the "word on the street" about the PD.

Last edited:
Hi all,

2 questions -

1. Does anyone know if Colorado has filled its interview slots or are people still receiving invites?

2. Has Creighton gone past its November dates, or do they just interview in November?

I have a feeling that people will cancel on Colorado given its location. The flight is expensive, and people may not be a big fan of living there compared to a large well-known city (it used to be a TB santorium).

Forgot to mention: There is a interesting conspiracy about the airport as well (http://www.anomalies-unlimited.com/Denver_Airport.html) thanks to google suggest-it.

With the airport and my fear of red snappers, I may have to think about going there!

Overall --> excellent program from what I have heard

Last edited:
I shall be blasphemed...I am breaking an SDN commandment (made by myself, stay away gutonc;)...

What is the salary like for 7on/7off...I initially thought one would make half the amount of general internal medicine, but it sounds like the pay is nice and above the 200 mark...anyone have ideas..I tried job searches but I came up unsuccessful.

About the PD in my previous post. I asked around about the PD, seems like he is a benign guy with just an odd sense of humor that may be shocking for some originally...I'm not the only one...it's a cultural shock North vs. South, East vs. West kinda thing...I think a 2nd look is necessary. Thanks to everyone for responding ;)

A

I have heard anywhere from $230,000- $250,000. I know for sure that $250,000 is the starting salary in a moderate-sized town in Oklahoma. Hope this helps.

wow, thats a lot of moula! I was under the impression that internists made around 120 Gs

Anyone have any idea of when we should start calling programs to inquire about our application?

wow, thats a lot of moula! I was under the impression that internists made around 120 Gs
Ya, for 7on/7off I thought that would be the number. That's a sweet gig, means I can pop out some kids, yay! :)

Anyone have any idea of when we should start calling programs to inquire about our application?

Now...this has been discussed ad nauseaum on the ERAS board...Dean's letters are out, maybe wait till friday to give them a full week and get at it...I noted Friday was the day I received many of my IV's...

do programs check ur status when u call them tho? I called one program that i have been waiting on but was just told that they are still reviewing applications. just curious if anyone really got their app status by calling:confused:

do programs check ur status when u call them tho? I called one program that i have been waiting on but was just told that they are still reviewing applications. just curious if anyone really got their app status by calling:confused:

I have got it at a few. At one place, I was told I was rejected (yes thanks - when were you planning on telling me?). At most other places, they told me my application is currently under review or has not yet been taken up for review.
At two places, they pushed up my application to be reviewed, and at one of them, I got an interview the next day.

Members don't see this ad :)

I have got it at a few. At one place, I was told I was rejected (yes thanks - when were you planning on telling me?). At most other places, they told me my application is currently under review or has not yet been taken up for review.
At two places, they pushed up my application to be reviewed, and at one of them, I got an interview the next day.

Is there a consensus on whether emailing or calling is better?
Is it better to contact the program coordinator or director?

Is there a consensus on whether emailing or calling is better?
Is it better to contact the program coordinator or director?

I think you should call the program coordinator...run a poll if you want tho-

So I just got my step 2 score and didn't do that well. I didn't do the automatic release, so programs don't know about my score at this point. If an interviewer asks me about step 2; whether if I took it or got my score already, what will happen if I lie and tell them that I am planning on taking it later? I am just trying to figure the worse case scenerio, and if its too bad I am probably going to stick with the ugly truth!

So I just got my step 2 score and didn't do that well. I didn't do the automatic release, so programs don't know about my score at this point. If an interviewer asks me about step 2; whether if I took it or got my score already, what will happen if I lie and tell them that I am planning on taking it later? I am just trying to figure the worse case scenerio, and if its too bad I am probably going to stick with the ugly truth!

i think you're unlikely to get asked about it (esp if you didn't put your test date on ERAS), but honesty is ALWAYS the best policy.

I know this is being shrewd, but I think the general consensus is how well you do on your interview day. From what I remember, you have some good interviews. So go to the interviews, ace them, you may want to get a hunch from the residents during the pre-interview dinner how much the program bothers about step scores in ranking (if they would know). I guess eventually you would have to come clean, but if you have done really well on the interview, probably that might make things easier.

yeah, thats what I am worried about. I have pretty solid interview invites; Wash U, Yale, Columbia, Michigan, Chicago, ... and I feel like my step 2 score (which is in the low 220s) is subpar for those programs. Otherwise, my application is pretty solid. In all honesty, I am a horrible liar. I will probably be sweating like a pig if they ask me if I took step 2 already, so I guess I will stick with the truth. I am just praying to god that these programs won't ask me for my step 2 score, otherwise I am screwed!

yeah, thats what I am worried about. I have pretty solid interview invites; Wash U, Yale, Columbia, Michigan, Chicago, ... and I feel like my step 2 score (which is in the low 220s) is subpar for those programs. Otherwise, my application is pretty solid. In all honesty, I am a horrible liar. I will probably be sweating like a pig if they ask me if I took step 2 already, so I guess I will stick with the truth. I am just praying to god that these programs won't ask me for my step 2 score, otherwise I am screwed!

See, this is why I will be putting off my step 2 CK now. I was going to take it November 24th because UCSF requires it before ranking, but now that they've rejected me there's no way I'm taking it early. I have a strong step 1 score, so I really don't need an opportunity to bring that down.

I actually thought I'd improve on my step 1, since everyone seems to do better on step 2. The mean for step 2 is 229! I am the exception and you probably will do well if you take it, I just had a very bad day which kind of sucks, it actually wasn't a difficult test.

Don't make my experience discourage you from getting it over with. I am actually thinking about getting step 3 over before I start residency. I have like 3 months off toward the end of the year, I might as well get it over with

does anyone know if they have filled all of their interview slots or r they still giving out interviews? :cry:

I would ask an IM adviser at your school about this. Step 1 and 2 can definitely be used for ROL purposes with Step 1 being typically more important than Step 2. Some programs do not require it like UWash (states it on the website)... so you probably need to figure out what to do about this especially if you have on your ERAS (Step 2 - expected date 10/09). The best scenario is that you did not put that and then avoid releasing the transcript until after match. If you did put the expected date, then program directors could possibility ask about it (they know more about you than you'll ever know as I learned on interviews)...but I'm sure they care more about your clinical grades.

Bottom line: Not the end of the world for your application obviously!

Last edited:
does anyone know if they have filled all of their interview slots or r they still giving out interviews? :cry:

I would e-mail them. The NYC programs have not been as prominent on this board, which may or may not be representative of reality.

Best wishes :luck:

What would one say if they were to e-mail a program?

E-mail the program coordinator and say something like:

Dear Mr./Mrs. Program Coordinator

I submitted an application to your program. I was wondering about the status of my application. (Additional sentence stating that you are couples matching and your partner has an interview).

Sincerely,
Your Name
AAMC #

You can also call and ask about the status or your application... and also ask bluntly if any invites remain.

Does anyone know if MGH and Brighams send out rejections like Hopkins and Columbia?

I have heard that BIDMC doesnt, and keeps you in the wait till Jan end like UMichigan....

Does anyone know if MGH and Brighams send out rejections like Hopkins and Columbia?

I have heard that BIDMC doesnt, and keeps you in the wait till Jan end like UMichigan....

I got rejected from Penn, Hopkins, and UCSF, but I got interviews at Duke, Columbia, and WashU. If I got rejected by these top ranked programs, does that mean I'm probably at the the bottom of the list for the top programs where I did get interview invites? This makes me worried that I'm a subpar candidate for them.

I got rejected from Penn, Hopkins, and UCSF, but I got interviews at Duke, Columbia, and WashU. If I got rejected by these top ranked programs, does that mean I'm probably at the the bottom of the list for the top programs where I did get interview invites? This makes me worried that I'm a subpar candidate for them.

I have the same question, because I was rejected by Hopkins, UCSF and UPenn, but have invites at BIDMC, Vandy, UCSD, Baylor (not in the same league as your interviews but still - given my credentials).

However, the way I see it is that they still invited you, so they are interested. And you have enough good interviews elsewhere to match into a reasonable place. The match is tailored to be advantageous to the applicants, so, as gutonc says, "bring your A-game to these interviews", and just hope for the best!

Any other suggestions? I too have the same doubt that LadyJubilee has.

Not at all...A lot of the top programs only interview 300-400 for 30-40 slots....That means 10 per slot. Now look at some of the superstars on SDN...They pretty much applied to and received interviews from many of the top 30 programs. While all the programs where these candidates interview are likely to rank them very high, it is quite unlikely that any one of the program's will receive them. It is for this reason that in internal medicine, you have a very good chance of receiving one of your top 3 programs...and if you really shine at your interview, you have a decent chance at even landing at your top spot. So if you have 3-4 interviews from the sort of programs you mention (probably top 5-10 programs after the big 4), then odds are extremely good you will match at one of them unless you're just a really bad interviewer.

I have the same question, because I was rejected by Hopkins, UCSF and UPenn, but have invites at BIDMC, Vandy, UCSD, Baylor (not in the same league as your interviews but still - given my credentials).

However, the way I see it is that they still invited you, so they are interested. And you have enough good interviews elsewhere to match into a reasonable place. The match is tailored to be advantageous to the applicants, so, as gutonc says, "bring your A-game to these interviews", and just hope for the best!

Any other suggestions? I too have the same doubt that LadyJubilee has.

It's a total crapshoot. I got interviews from great programs and rejections from average programs (and vice versa). Duke said no, WashU, UChicago and Northwestern said yes. All 3 HMS programs said yes, Columbia and NYU (WTF?) said no (even though I was living in NYC and interviewed at Cornell and Sinai).

I repeat my "A game" recommendation.

Not at all...A lot of the top programs only interview 300-400 for 30-40 slots....That means 10 per slot. Now look at some of the superstars on SDN...They pretty much applied to and received interviews from many of the top 30 programs. While all the programs where these candidates interview are likely to rank them very high, it is quite unlikely that any one of the program's will receive them. It is for this reason that in internal medicine, you have a very good chance of receiving one of your top 3 programs...and if you really shine at your interview, you have a decent chance at even landing at your top spot. So if you have 3-4 interviews from the sort of programs you mention (probably top 5-10 programs after the big 4), then odds are extremely good you will match at one of them unless you're just a really bad interviewer.

Thanks, this really helps. I hope I match to Duke or Vandy actually. Is there anything I can do beyond interviewing well to ensure I match there? Maybe showing my interest.

It's a total crapshoot. I got interviews from great programs and rejections from average programs (and vice versa). Duke said no, WashU, UChicago and Northwestern said yes. All 3 HMS programs said yes, Columbia and NYU (WTF?) said no (even though I was living in NYC and interviewed at Cornell and Sinai).

I repeat my "A game" recommendation.

I'm surprised why so many people feel slighted when the lesser programs don't offer them interviews...The reason is simple, these programs don't want to go unfilled and they don't want to interview 1500 candidates. It is like feeling slighted if you were to apply to McDonald's and they decided not to interview you just because maybe they think an MD wouldn't realistically ever take a job for McD's. Being overqualified definitely is a criteria for rejection. Being overqualified will still land you interviews however in your own geographic region because programs know that you might rank them higher just based on geography...maybe not higher than a Hopkins or a UCSF, but higher than some others.

Thanks, this really helps. I hope I match to Duke or Vandy actually. Is there anything I can do beyond interviewing well to ensure I match there? Maybe showing my interest.

Really waiting for answers to this question ;).....something tells me this will be one of the most happening threads this evening ;)....5 posts in less than 15 minutes already

P.S. LadyJubilee, knowing your calls, I think if you show real interest in the abovementioned places, you should be able to match there. I know that Duke and Vandy are often not #1 choices for a few of the 300-400 candidates that interview there, for different reasons, so if it IS your top choice, in all probability, you will get it. All the best.

So I've been on a few interviews so far and some have had simulation centers while other programs who I considered to be "slightly better" in terms of reputation alone don't. How important is going to an IM program with a simulation center?

So I've been on a few interviews so far and some have had simulation centers while other programs who I considered to be "slightly better" in terms of reputation alone don't. How important is going to an IM program with a simulation center?

Very important if you're going to be a surgeon (which you're not).

Otherwise it's a nice thing but not all that relevant to IM training. Just drop that tube, put in the line, needle that chest, etc. I had plenty of opportunities to learn procedures without a sim lab.

Hi - I feel the same way. I was drawn to the simulation centers too. Of course, I am a current applicant, so as per a certain post on the ERAS forum of SDN, I am not supposed to voice my opinion on anything, but regardless, I am beginning to feel from my interviews that each place has something different to offer. So there are many more other things to base your decisions on. For example, you may want to find out how many real procedures the residents get to do. A program with a decent reputation and fulfils your career goals, where you get to do a lot more real procedures yet doesnt have a simulation center, may be a lot better than one that doesnt allow you to get as much experience.

As gutonc says, its a nice thing to have, but dont let your decision be based on that. I think there are many other issues important for deciding the place you really want to be, and a simulation center may not be one of them. Tomorrow, if you have two places that exactly fit what you want, and its a tie breaker, down to the line, then maybe you want to consider it. But that situation is likely to be rare.

Last edited:
UC Davis...is it just me or are they very quiet? Seems like only a few people have gotten an invite so far. They're the last place I'm really waiting on and I'd love an interview there.

Anybody have any insight?

Question: do programs know the avg and std dev of usmle scores from my school in my year? This seems like important information since it can affect class rank if my school does exceptionally well or worse this year versus previously.

Question: do programs know the avg and std dev of usmle scores from my school in my year? This seems like important information since it can affect class rank if my school does exceptionally well or worse this year versus previously.

Do you mean the NBME Shelf Exams? The USMLEs get abused enough, the last thing they need to be used for is class ranking.

If you do mean the Shelf Exams, I doubt they know how your school did specifically. It shouldn't make any difference how your class as a whole does in relation to the rest of the country, rather, how you do in relation to your classmates.

Also, As you're probably aware, different schools (and different clerkships within the same school) weight the importance of the Shelf exam differently. As an example, my IM clerkship counted it as 20% of the final grade while my Surgery clerkship counted it as 80% of the final grade. So great ward performance and a mediocre grade in IM meant Honors while the same in Surgery could mean pass or worse.

Do you mean the NBME Shelf Exams? The USMLEs get abused enough, the last thing they need to be used for is class ranking.

I'm talking about the USMLE Step 1 and 2 scores. For example, if the school has higher step scores, it also most likely mean it's harder to get a higher class rank or AOA because the students perform better academically. Do programs take that into account? Just wondering because my school in my year did exceptionally well compared to previous years or even the group that is a year behind us, so "historical data" may not be representative of my class.

I'm talking about the USMLE Step 1 and 2 scores. For example, if the school has higher step scores, it also most likely mean it's harder to get a higher class rank or AOA because the students perform better academically. Do programs take that into account? Just wondering because my school in my year did exceptionally well compared to previous years or even the group that is a year behind us, so "historical data" may not be representative of my class.

Fine. But you didn't answer the important question here. Is your school using USMLE score as one of the criteria for AOA or class rank? If you "heard from a friend" that this was the case, you should check with your Dean's Office. If this turns out to be true, your school sucks so hard you need to post this in pre-allo and warn people away from it.

I'm AOA and on the selection committee at my current institution (as a fellow). We do not get USMLE scores of students up for consideration for AOA. We only have their performance in med school to go on. And as a med student, I ranked top 5% in my class but clearly NOT based on my very mediocre (4 points above the mean) Step 1 score, nor my Step 2 score (much better, but reported in April).

Finally, I reject your hypothesis that high USMLE score = better academic performance. While there may in fact be a trend toward this, it doesn't explain the huge # of Carib grads scoring "Double 99s" when they couldn't even get into a US med school.

Last edited:
Guys, sorry for this completely off-topic question. I was wondering if someone can compare CCF Ohio vs BU. CCF seems to have better fellowship track record. Location wise, like most people I prefer Boston but that will not heavily contribute to my decision-making other than the proximity to the HMS (Does that help as a BU resident anyway?). This is just to draw a comprehensive pre-interview assessment. Thanks a lot :)

P.S.: PLMK if this question would be better placed in another thread.

Is your school using USMLE score as one of the criteria for AOA or class rank?

No for class rank, not sure for AOA

Finally, I reject your hypothesis that high USMLE score = better academic performance. While there may in fact be a trend toward this, it doesn't explain the huge # of Carib grads scoring "Double 99s" when they couldn't even get into a US med school.

There may be some truth in that, however, since shelf exams make up a good portion of the clinical clerkship grades, you are giving yourself a chance to get honors every time you score well on the shelves. On the other hand, if the shelf exams are low or don't meet the cutoff (my school has a cutoff on shelf exams that you have to meet if you want to qualify for honors), you have no shot at honors. The cutoff most likely depends on class performance.

There are a couple instances where I fail to meet these cutoffs. For example, in my IM clerkship, my evaluations describe me as outstanding and such but because I miss the cutoff by 1 point, all I can get is a P. These ultimately affect my class rank. I have since improved and actually did better on CK than Step 1, but my class rank obviously won't be changed and some programs probably tossed my app just seeing the class rank without really reading the clinical evals.

Thus, I'm just curious to see if programs have information about my school's avg USMLE step 1 and 2 scores in my year. I've gotten a lot of invites before MSPE was released and only a couple since then. This is making me worried and nervous regarding my match prospects at the programs that invited me before MSPE because perhaps they wouldn't have invited me at all if they have my MSPE earlier.

Oh well, guess there's nothing I can change even if I know the truth :(

Hmm...Most people who can't get into med school in USA had trouble with their MCATs..So you mean to tell me the MCATs are a better measure of academic performance than the USMLE when it pertains to medicine? Doubtful.

The bottom line is that is a mix of things....If all grades were from the same grader and that grader was very objective and didn't base the grades on whether the student roots for the same sports team as they do, then yes clinical grades are a far superior measure than standardized exams, especially when there are such extensive question banks available for the USMLE these days that a lot of people can do really well just by memorizing questions. But the reality of clinical grades is that they tend to be very subjective with everyone looking at different criteria and everyone having a different threshold/percentage of people they will give honors to. The MSPE usually reports the percentage of people from that school who received HP/H/P in a given course, but that doesn't account for that each student is usually graded by different attending for that clerkship.

...I have pretty solid interview invites; Wash U, Yale, Columbia, Michigan, Chicago, ... and I feel like my step 2 score (which is in the low 220s) is subpar for those programs. Otherwise, my application is pretty solid. In all honesty, I am a horrible liar. I will probably be sweating like a pig if they ask me if I took step 2 already, so I guess I will stick with the truth. I am just praying to god that these programs won't ask me for my step 2 score, otherwise I am screwed!

I'm in a similar situation to you, barmay, and was wondering about releasing my scores as well. My step 1 was just slightly above average (although grades were split between HP/H) and I was pretty surprised by some of the interviews I've received. I honestly didn't expect to hear back from many of what I thought would be "reach" programs for me, but I have...

I was hoping to bump up my step 2 score, but ended up again just a bit better than average (mid 230's), thanks to my week and a half of sub-par studying. I was just too burned out to prepare for the test well. :( I did list the date that I took Step 2 on ERAS, however did not choose automatic submission.

Now I'm wondering what will happen if I release my score? I have no idea whether it will help or hurt my placement on the ROL at places like Mayo, CCF, Yale, Vandy, etc. to release it. Part of me feels like it can only hurt me, since almost everyone else is doing better on Step 2. On the other hand, I feel like if I don't release it, programs will think I've done much worse than just average. Any thoughts or advice?!?

Hmm...Most people who can't get into med school in USA had trouble with their MCATs..So you mean to tell me the MCATs are a better measure of academic performance than the USMLE when it pertains to medicine? Doubtful.

It's called "teaching to the test."

Not sure if it's still the case, but in the year I graduated, 2 of the top 10 schools on the WHO list for average Step 1 scores in the graduating class were Ross and SGU. US schools have "better" students and can afford to run week review course and call it good for Step 1. Per both SGU and Ross students I met during clinical rotations at community hospitals in NYC, their pre-clinical years are essentially an extended board prep course.

It's called "teaching to the test."

Not sure if it's still the case, but in the year I graduated, 2 of the top 10 schools on the WHO list for average Step 1 scores in the graduating class were Ross and SGU. US schools have "better" students and can afford to run week review course and call it good for Step 1. Per both SGU and Ross students I met during clinical rotations at community hospitals in NYC, their pre-clinical years are essentially an extended board prep course.

But you can extend that argument forever going back then...Students with the highest SAT scores get into the better colleges, so then should only people from those better college get into med school, even if they have a straight C average at that better college? Or should we extend it further back to statewide exams that you took in previous years for proficiency, or maybe your kindergarten or pre-k screening IQ tests? You might start out medical school knowing more verbal skills, physics and biology than your counterparts, but that doesn't mean you leave medical school knowing more medicine than them. The two might correlate, but it would be really dumb to think every carribean med school graduate is inferior to you because you went to a US allopathic school... (And I am definitely at a US allopathic school, but I'm just saying your argument is really being unfair.) The USMLE exams test a fair amount of very basic clinical material. Most schools give you at least a 3-4 week window to take off and study for the step 1, and many give you at least 2 weeks that you can budget out to study for step 2...So regardless that your school does not offer you special board prep, there is really no excuse why you can't do very well on the USMLEs if you in fact do have sound clinical foundation of knowledge.

anyone else having this problem? I've heard from people on my interview trail that they have been receiving reply email for their thank you emails after the interview. I personally have not been getting reply emails even though I thought the interviews went well. Am I just not writing a good thank you email? should I be worried??

anyone else having this problem? I've heard from people on my interview trail that they have been receiving reply email for their thank you emails after the interview. I personally have not been getting reply emails even though I thought the interviews went well. Am I just not writing a good thank you email? should I be worried??

I believe its fairly common - dont worry too much about it.

I had another question - can someone please post the link/let me know where I can find the ABIM scores for a particular program over the last 5 years? I know there is a link around there somewhere.....