IM Official Questions 2009-2010 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ariee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi IMer's,

This thread is to ask each other questions about interview invites, rejections, status, etc...

Yes, I had a really strict mother, I need organization in my life to be able to breathe once every 10-12seconds...I can get hypocarbic about things like this :)

Ariee

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, interviews are coming in pretty fast.
I'm getting edgy!!!
Still wondering if any of you folks are IMGs.

In response to this question:

Oui, je suis canadienne. J'ai fait les etudes a l'etranger- je pense :)

Don't get edgy, depends on where you applied and when you applied...get edgy at the end of next month per my advisor..attdg's what's ur prognosis?

Ariee

Ariee:

I am so happy, I have found someone more OCD than me!

:laugh:

Good luck to all!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone not heard back from any of these programs (neither interview nor rejection)? Do you plan to call/email them and if so, when?

I haven't heard back from a lot of the programs listed...hang in there, they're going to come in soon...there is a lot of applications that they need to look through...My advisor stated to start worrying about it intensively by the end of October...
Yours will come in any day now...talk to your advisor about your concerns, they can direct you appropriately.
Ariee

P.S. aProgDirector,tigerz, DragonFly, jdh, what are your thoughts???

How long will it take until I start getting preliminary Internal Medicine interview invites? Thank you!

i was actually wondering the same. do they take care of the categorical Apps first?

i've got enough to worry about with my primaries let alone trying to secure an intern slot.

hope 10 prelim apps were enough!

I don't know the answer, but hope some of the attdg's, residents out there can answer.
Isn't it relatively easy to scramble into a pre-lim. Friends of mine last year applied rather late on, like oct/nov and interviewd dec and matched fine...

I haven't heard back from a lot of the programs listed...hang in there, they're going to come in soon...there is a lot of applications that they need to look through...My advisor stated to start worrying about it intensively by the end of October...
Yours will come in any day now...talk to your advisor about your concerns, they can direct you appropriately.
Ariee

Ariee, I came on the board to give you a sound yelling after receiving that email in my inbox..but I must say your OCD-ness may benefit the forum. This thread may benefit people, after all.

haha, ResMD, u know u're diggin' Ariee's style...although my CO2 is currently 12 b/c someone posted an interview without bolding....+pissed+
glad the thread is going to be helpful, hopefully we'll get some attdg's and residents check in often and help answer q's (hint, hint:))

PS, anyone know much about Carolinas medical? I have heard it is good for several things, but haven't heard much about the IM program. Any input appreciated.

Here you go friend:
http://www.scutwork.com/cgi-bin/links/review.cgi?ID=338&d=1
[FONT=verdana, arial]Teaching:.
stars-5.gif
[FONT=verdana, arial]Atmosphere:.
stars-5.gif
[FONT=verdana, arial]Research:.
stars-4.gif

Schedule
We have 10 categorical medicine residents, and 6 prelims. The cat’s and prelims have identical schedules, all do continuity clinic, and the year is as follows : 5 months wards medicine, 1 month ED, 1 month ICU, and 5 months electives. The prelims can substitute their ICU month for an extra wards month.

Wards Medicine: Everyone arrives at 7am. Teams are: one upper level resident, 2-3 interns, and 1-2 med students (3rd yrs or AI’s from Chapel Hill or elsewhere). You pre-round on your patients, then AM Report (case-based, run by residents, or Grand Rounds on Tuesday AM) is from 8-9 am, and is generally very well attended. Then you continue to round on your patients and do your work for the day (often touching base with your R2 or R3 team leader to run the list), and around 10am you will meet for team rounds with your attending. Sometimes this is sit-rounds, and sometimes it’s bedside. Often, it’s a combination. Then you have lunch conference (with lunch provided by pharmaceutical reps) in the Med Ed Building from 12:30-1:30, also very well attended. There is actually a curriculum, and the speakers are excellent. Residents have to maintain a minimum 60% attendance at noon conference. Then you finish your work for the day, and if you are not on short or long call or clinic, you can go home early.

Call: On the ward months is q5. The 5-day cycle is as follows: Long call, Post call (out by 1pm), clinic day for Interns, short call (7am – 3 pm), clinic day for upper level. Start over. It’s not bad. Typical census is anywhere from 10-20 for the team.

Consult Months: Are arguably the best experience you will have here. It’s most often one-on-one resident-to-attending. Some of the busier services will have 2 residents (GI, ID), and Cardiology is a big teaching service, so there are often 3-4 residents on service from all residencies (ortho, ER, family, OB, etc). You get called with the consult, go do the consult, call your attending, and they come see the patient with you and go over the orders/teaching points. There are clinics associated with many of the consult months (renal, pulm, endo, rheum, ID, etc). Seriously, these months are awesome. You don’t work nights or weekends on these months – so YES, interns get 5 months of non-call! (This is RARE!)

Ambulatory months: are in various outpatient clinics in the area, and you will have 2 continuity clinics at our resident clinic per week – it’s the Myers Park clinic for the uninsured/underinsured.

ICU month: Very busy. We have a huge, new, beautiful MICU, but often have patients on other floors (NSICU and STICU). The team is made up of 3-4 upper levels, 3-4 interns, and an attending. Call for upper levels is q3 or q4, depending on the #. We are entertaining the idea of going to shiftwork schedule, but this has not happened as of now. Interns take 5 calls (you choose) in the month, and basically get 1st dibs on all procedures. It’s a really fun month for interns, and a pretty stressful month for upper levels. As an R2 and R3, you will have to also do 1 month of Dickson, our Cardiac Care Unit as well – tends not to be as stressful as MICU (ie: you get some sleep).

ED month: Generally accepted as the most intense month of your intern year. You are basically treated as one of the ER interns, and given the same responsibilities. About ¾ of the shifts are in the acute care center (ACC), kind-of like a fast-track. It’s very high yield medicine stuff, and a great time to get lots of suturing/I&D’s done. The other ¼ of the shifts are in the main part of the ED, called “major.” These shifts are long and stressful, but you really feel like you have had the “ER experience” after these. This is a huge trauma center, and people are flown in from referral hospitals all the time and THEY.ARE.SICK. It’s intense. If you really love this stuff, though, you can do extra ER time in other years too.
Teaching
The faculty are amazing. For the most part, they are young, bright, and energetic, and that enthusiasm really is contagious. Many are top-program trained (Duke, Hvd, Cleveland Clinic, etc), and are passionate about teaching here at CMC. We do have a significant number of grads of our own program who have done fellowships elsewhere and come back to teach. You will be humbled on rounds often, but in a good way! Fellowships/Research: We have close to 100% fellowship match rate for anyone who wants one. Most common are pulm/crit care, Heme/onc, endo, rheum. There are a few going into cardiology from this year’s R2 class. CMC only has a sleep fellowship, but a GI fellowship is on the books for in the near future. Crit care fellowship in the VERY distant future. About 1/3 of our residents choose to go into fellowships each year. Also don’t believe that there is a lack of research here. With an in-house 850-bed patient population and a 23-hospital referral base across the Carolinas, there are always projects to be done, and plenty of clinical faculty who have projects ongoing. All of the residents who go into fellowships have NO trouble getting projects. And we traditionally beat out Duke and UNC for the case report posters at the NC ACP meeting. You won't find basic science research here, though. Inservice/Boards: We do have an inservice exam (for all residents, including interns) in the Fall of each year. We have a 98% board pass rate in the past 11 years. There is a mandatory Board Review course for R3’s, but anyone can attend.
Atmosphere
No FMGs. Residents hang out often. There really aren't cliques b/c we are so small. Everyone knows everyone. About half of the residents are married, and a good handful have kids. It's a good mix. Charlotte is a very live-able town. It is full of young professionals, and is a large banking center. There is a very active nightlife uptown, and two areas for live music weekly in the summer. Many bars also have bands on weekend nights in the warmer months. Every other year Charlotte hosts a Wine Festival. Great city for traveling Broadway shows, country and pop music, as well as the opera and symphony. Great restaurants of all ethnicities as well. For the less classy, there is of course NASCAR. Sports: Hornets and Bobcats, Davidson basketball for the few, Duke vs. UNC for the many. SEC and ACC sports are a frequent topic of conversation in season. There are also smaller pockets of fun activities around town, in the more family-friendly areas. There are great schools in the Charlotte-Meck school district, you just have to do your research about where to buy a house if you have kids. Myers Park is the #13 high school in the country and has a great a nationally-recognized IB program. Lots of church-affiliated preschools are excellent as well, if your kids are younger. There are lots of parks in South Charlotte for walking the dog and jogging. Also Lake Norman is a 25 minute drive for boating and weekend activities. The closest beach is about 3 hr drive. The beautiful Blue Ridge mountains are about 1.5 hrs away. Most importantly, it's WARM and BEAUTIFUL in the south, y'all!
Conclusion
Perks: You get $1900 per year in “educational” money. Basically, you can spend it on anything training-related, like books, PDA applications, stethoscopes, ophthalmoscopes, etc. As an intern, this also pays for Step 3. As an upper level, you can use it for your CME trip. Prelims especially love this so they can buy materials related to their future specialty. We also all get HP iPaq’s that are wirelessly connected to the CMC server, and you can sync patient data wirelessly at anytime. It’s great for rounds – you don’t need to go find a computer. We get lunch free every day – either by pharmaceutical reps or in the cafeteria in the Med Ed Bldg which is always free for med students and residents. We also get $$ on our ID badges ($150-250/month, depending) on any call month in case you are here for dinner, so you never have to pay for food. It’s always more than enough money. Cafeteria is actually very good, or there is a "Healthy" cafe in the lobby with freshly made salads and panini. There is an internal medicine softball team, golf tournament in Fall and Spring, as well as Intern BBQ’s, holiday parties (departmental and resident-only), Halloween party (put on by the ER residents) and many other CMC events like 5k’s and community service. And yes, you can go abroad for a month if you set it up. Vacation: Don’t believe the ERAS publication of 2 weeks. It’s actually like this: as an intern you get 2 weeks vacation plus 5 days at either Christmas or New Year’s (your choice). As a 2nd year, it’s like the intern schedule plus 5 days of CME travel days for a conference of your choice. And 3rd year it’s like the R2 schedule plus another week of vacation. I truly think this residency program is a hidden gem. If you want what I believe is the best training program in the south, then come spend a month with us and check it out for yourself. The residents are super-nice and super-bright, and we LOVE our jobs. Seriously. The nurses are also super-nice and willing to help you out. The program directors are caring and considerate of resident needs. The faculty are sharp, young, and focused on teaching. I have never felt intimidated, but I do feel challenged on a daily basis. Because we only have 36 residents, they are basically hand-picked for having great personalities who would fit in with the rest of the crew. I would welcome any inquiries about the program.

MORE OPINIONS PLEASE!

Ariee,

What date did you send out your applications? I'm just curious to see if they're reviewing them on a "first come first served" basis or they're holding out FMGs till the end.
I'm pretty sure they still distinguish between AMG, Canadian MG, and FMGs.

Ariee,

What date did you send out your applications? I'm just curious to see if they're reviewing them on a "first come first served" basis or they're holding out FMGs till the end.
I'm pretty sure they still distinguish between AMG, Canadian MG, and FMGs.

Incorruptible- I don't know the answer to your question with known certainty. However, theoretically speaking, what would make the most sense is that PD's would review the applications after filters have been set. This means they can review them by the time they have come in or they can review them by looking at scores >250. So there is no steadfast rule, it's unpredictable...
Also I think as time goes by the # of applications increases (ie. lets say ~100apps on 9/1 to ~400 on 9/11). If they go through them in the order they came in, it would make sense if the first 100 get invites at a faster rate than the rest of the crew.
That's why I keep saying there are a lot of apps to go through so hang in there. Worrying isn't going to change anything. It's still quite early on.
The question you should be asking yourself is what redflags do I have on my application as a CDN??? Visa issues and sponsorship?

This is in response to a Q in regards to calling prog's. I saw it on the general residency thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=664489

is this the right time to call the programs about the status of my application
No...it's only been 1.5 weeks! Give it at least another month.
:laugh:

Pace yourself man. It is WAY too early to calling and inquiring about your program, at least at programs you are interested in.

I might venture that NO time is a good time as its rather annoying to get these calls. If we are interested, we'll let you know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ariee,

In response to your questions. It is WAY too early in the process to start worrying about lack of program responses. It is still September. Many programs (including where I did residency) did not even start reviewing applications until October. I also would not be the person that starts calling the programs until at least November; the program coordinators hate that. And the program coordinators sometimes do have a say it in the application process....

Ariee

Ummmm, applications have only been available for 11 days. Any idea how many applications there are out there?

I didn't even submit my application until like mid-october and I ended up with so many interviews I had to cancel.

MOST of your invites will likley come AFTER Dean's Letters go out, so this means November.

I know hitting your ERAS mailbox and seeing a new invite every day is like doing a line of coke, and some of you after the initial flurry of invites are going through withdrawal.

Have a hobby? Maybe do some more of that because you won't have time next year :D Things are FINE, I promise

Ariee,

In response to your questions. It is WAY too early in the process to start worrying about lack of program responses. It is still September. Many programs (including where I did residency) did not even start reviewing applications until October. I also would not be the person that starts calling the programs until at least November; the program coordinators hate that. And the program coordinators sometimes do have a say it in the application process....

Ummmm, applications have only been available for 11 days. Any idea how many applications there are out there?

I didn't even submit my application until like mid-october and I ended up with so many interviews I had to cancel.

MOST of your invites will likley come AFTER Dean's Letters go out, so this means November.

I know hitting your ERAS mailbox and seeing a new invite every day is like doing a line of coke, and some of you after the initial flurry of invites are going through withdrawal.

Have a hobby? Maybe do some more of that because you won't have time next year :D Things are FINE, I promise

Thank you beloved holly residents and attdg's ;)...Don't forget to check back and answer more q's!
May I clarify I was compiling q's for the other users in this thread so that others will be able to find answers to the same q's that are going to come up over and over again :oops:...

Thank you beloved holly residents and attdg's ;)...Don't forget to check back and answer more q's!
May I clarify I was compiling q's for the other users in this thread so that others will be able to find answers to the same q's that are going to come up over and over again :oops:...

Oh yes... Ariee is the best...(s)he is not OCD at all about any interviews :p

Btw jdh71, that was a really good response. Makes a lot of sense..it is quite addicting, and there are honestly a lot better things to do in life...its good someone pointed it out, especially to me ;)...

Question! Although it's not really related to interviewing.

What motivates people to become chief resident? I was thinking that so many people are ready after residency to start practicing medicine or start a fellowship, what are the advantages of spending another year in residency?

Question! Although it's not really related to interviewing.

What motivates people to become chief resident? I was thinking that so many people are ready after residency to start practicing medicine or start a fellowship, what are the advantages of spending another year in residency?

Honestly, most of the time chief resident is usually done so you can add to your CV something that helps with applications to fellowship, especially if you want to stay academic.

And you are not actually a resident, but a BE/BC Internal Medicine doc, who will likely do A LOT of administrative work such as: deal with most of the common minor complaints of the program, manage schedules of the residents, etc. You will also likely attend the wards as well.

Some people just love their program and insitution enough that they want to do it, but like I said most people are merely going for the CV fodder - guys applying to less competative specialties like rheum or endo, don't bother. You'll see that most cheifs will be going onto Cards, GI, or Heme/Onc

Hello, my turn to finally ask a question for me!

One of the programs I'm interested in is supposed to be getting fellowship programs up and running in 2011/2012. This can be confirmed by the program coordinator and wide-spread rumors amongst current residents. Is there any way I can further ascertain that this will actually happen, if there is a way at all?

Thanks!
A

I think I am going through this withdrawl you speak of!!!! Do you suggest the WASP protocol in conjunction with the Hobbies?

Sorry I am on a radiology rotation and I am not used to all this extra free time. Maybe I should consider the R.O.A.D to happieness!!! J/k

Honestly, most of the time chief resident is usually done so you can add to your CV something that helps with applications to fellowship, especially if you want to stay academic.

And you are not actually a resident, but a BE/BC Internal Medicine doc, who will likely do A LOT of administrative work such as: deal with most of the common minor complaints of the program, manage schedules of the residents, etc. You will also likely attend the wards as well.

Some people just love their program and insitution enough that they want to do it, but like I said most people are merely going for the CV fodder - guys applying to less competative specialties like rheum or endo, don't bother. You'll see that most cheifs will be going onto Cards, GI, or Heme/Onc

I would agree that this statement is true, in part --- however, I would encourage people to consider the chief year if they want to gain from its unique experience. Granted, if you hate the idea of human resources/conflict resolution/ administrative work - then being a chief is not for you. But if you have any plans to work in medical education and/or program administration - it is a wonderful experience. It is also great if you love to teach, want to see the "behind-the-scenes", and want to have a hand in policy-making. Additionally, the skills you develop are useful in any avenue of medicine you pursue. As for the resume-building factor, I went into endocrinology so I didn't "need" to be a chief. However, I think it allowed me to interview at larger, more competitive programs and helped me get my top choice program.

But if you have any plans to work in medical education and/or program administration - it is a wonderful experience. It is also great if you love to teach, want to see the "behind-the-scenes", and want to have a hand in policy-making. Additionally, the skills you develop are useful in any avenue of medicine you pursue.

So, for those of us who are falling more in line w/ the stuff that you discussed (love academics, love teaching, would like to attend on wards, discussed in ps, going in my dean's letter etc...), how appropriate is it to bring up the possibility of chief in a residency interview? I know it seems like putting the "cart before the horse," but I would like for programs to see that I'm interested in a position such as that down the road.

I would agree that this statement is true, in part --- however, I would encourage people to consider the chief year if they want to gain from its unique experience. Granted, if you hate the idea of human resources/conflict resolution/ administrative work - then being a chief is not for you. But if you have any plans to work in medical education and/or program administration - it is a wonderful experience. It is also great if you love to teach, want to see the "behind-the-scenes", and want to have a hand in policy-making. Additionally, the skills you develop are useful in any avenue of medicine you pursue. As for the resume-building factor, I went into endocrinology so I didn't "need" to be a chief. However, I think it allowed me to interview at larger, more competitive programs and helped me get my top choice program.

I'm a cynic :oops:

I agree if you do have an interest in academic medicine, one should definitely consider a chief year for sure. It only helps you for the most part.

So, for those of us who are falling more in line w/ the stuff that you discussed (love academics, love teaching, would like to attend on wards, discussed in ps, going in my dean's letter etc...), how appropriate is it to bring up the possibility of chief in a residency interview? I know it seems like putting the "cart before the horse," but I would like for programs to see that I'm interested in a position such as that down the road.

If the question comes up about what you imagine yourself doing after residency, go ahead and mention it. Otherwise I wouldn't bring it up.

At some programs (eg. Hopkins, Duke, Harvard programs, and likely others as well), the chief year does not come immediately after residency, but is rather 1 or more years removed. This means that many of these chiefs will not have known about their selection at time of fellowship application during PGY2 year. Obviously these chiefs do not benefit from the extra year in terms of fellowship placement, though many of them definitely want to stay in academics.

It is also worth noting that it is not uncommon for chiefs at these programs to enter ID, PCCM, endo, geriatrics, or stay as general internists.

At some programs (eg. Hopkins, Duke, Harvard programs, and likely others as well), the chief year does not come immediately after residency, but is rather 1 or more years removed. This means that many of these chiefs will not have known about their selection at time of fellowship application during PGY2 year. Obviously these chiefs do not benefit from the extra year in terms of fellowship placement, though many of them definitely want to stay in academics.

It is also worth noting that it is not uncommon for chiefs at these programs to enter ID, PCCM, endo, geriatrics, or stay as general internists.

A resident at duke, hopkins, or MGH doesn't exactly need anything extra on their CV to get into fellowship, any fellowship of their choosing - it's a luxury of matching to an elite program, and in my opinion an apples to oranges comparison with the rest of IM

Concerning scheduling interviews,

Should I schedule the interview as soon as I receive it, or do I have time to wait for other interviews and schedule them accordingly?
Is it frowned upon not to answer back immediatley interview invitations?

Thank you.

Should I schedule the interview as soon as I receive it, or do I have time to wait for other interviews and schedule them accordingly?

Thank you.

I believe it is to your advantage to schedule the interview as soon as you received it and you have a date in mind. It's not so much that it's frowned upon. It's more to do with the fact that if you don't schedule immediately, your preferred dates may be taken by other applicants.

On a separate note, if a program offers Saturday interviews, is it frowned upon if you pick the Saturday interview (like would they feel that you're not as interested in the program)?

I believe it is to your advantage to schedule the interview as soon as you received it and you have a date in mind. It's not so much that it's frowned upon. It's more to do with the fact that if you don't schedule immediately, your preferred dates may be taken by other applicants.

On a separate note, if a program offers Saturday interviews, is it frowned upon if you pick the Saturday interview (like would they feel that you're not as interested in the program)?

Disclaimer: Current applicant's opinion

I dont think it will be frowned upon. I mean, the program has set that day right? They would know you arent probably interviewing only at their place, so you are just scheduling for your convenience to utilize your time well. I think they would know you are taking a month off for interviews or whatever, so the crunch is there.

Having said that, it may be more a disadvantage for you, if you want to check out a program as to how the residents are working, some of the faculty you may want to meet may not come in, so that may work to your disadvantage. (Now - I get a strong feeling the pre-interview dinner on a Friday night may have the highest number of residents from any place you interview on a weekday ;).

Thank you.
I would think either is fine, but I imagine the longer you wait the greater the likelihood that some days will be full when you start scheduling.

inCorruptible- Congrats! Schedule the interview ASAP. As soon as you get it...it be upsetting if the slots fill up (highly doubt it) before you can fill it up. In regards to wanting to cluster your interviews together, if you schedule them far off such as in November, you'll have more interview invites rolling in so that you can cluster them together.

Hassler- Saturday interviews are not a problem. If the program is offering that date, I'm sure they've already thought it through. I think you may be thinking about it too much. On the contrary, I would think the program would think you're quite interested as you're motivated to spend your weekend with them, no?

G'luck,
A :)

Hello, my turn to finally ask a question for me!

One of the programs I'm interested in is supposed to be getting fellowship programs up and running in 2011/2012. This can be confirmed by the program coordinator and wide-spread rumors amongst current residents. Is there any way I can further ascertain that this will actually happen, if there is a way at all?

Thanks!
A

Any thoughts please? I should add when I spoke to the program coordinator she said that they were hiring people and had just officialy hired one guy for this proposal. So how do I ask about it and get a solid answer?

Any thoughts please? I should add when I spoke to the program coordinator she said that they were hiring people and had just officialy hired one guy for this proposal. So how do I ask about it and get a solid answer?

Tough to say . . . I'm a cynic, so . . . look, people will say a lot of things this interview season. I can only suggest skepticism based on the experiences of many people I know. Also many people mean well but . . .

If you are talking about a university program that is say, telling you they are starting a women's health program, ok, that is fairly believable. But if you're talking about some community program that is telling you they will be starting a GI or Card fellowship . . . I don't know, believe it when it happens.

This is just one man's opinion - use with as much salt as is necessary. Hope it helps.

does it raise a red flag to cancel a prelim application and apply to cateogircal IM at the same hospital once your application has already been submitted?

does it raise a red flag to cancel a prelim application and apply to cateogircal IM at the same hospital once your application has already been submitted?

It's impossible to say, exactly. In many programs different people review prelim and cat applications. They will certainly want to know why you changed, but as mentioned above if you have a good reason there prob won't be a problem. I would probably explain it in your PS, or simply send them an email explaining what the issue is.

I received an invitation to interview at a program on Friday. I sent them a response by email but have not heard back. Is that what you guys have been experiencing as well?

I received an invitation to interview at a program on Friday. I sent them a response by email but have not heard back. Is that what you guys have been experiencing as well?

Most programs seemed to reply within a couple of days, but I have had a couple that didn't confirm for up to 4-5 days (business days). So I would give them a little bit longer. Also, I have gotten my first choice for all interview dates (probably because it is still early in the season), so you can likely plan on getting the date you asked for. Has anyone else had their first choice already filled when the program confirmed?

Most programs seemed to reply within a couple of days, but I have had a couple that didn't confirm for up to 4-5 days (business days). So I would give them a little bit longer. Also, I have gotten my first choice for all interview dates (probably because it is still early in the season), so you can likely plan on getting the date you asked for. Has anyone else had their first choice already filled when the program confirmed?

Yes, I agree with tfom8. You generally can plan around the date you wanted.

I think some programs just want to be careful with the schedule.

Some like to group people together, like all physician-scientists on one day (for the PSTP program if interested), some like to interview all IMGs on one day, so that may be an issue why they arent sending out the reply. But dont worry, it seems to be working for me if you schedule it early.

For those getting interview invites, do you all have your transcripts and LOR in already? I almost find it disturbing that programs are inviting me to interview and don't know if I've even passed my core clerkships. I wonder if this is how people "get through the cracks". I'm not complaining...I just think it's a funny system.

For those getting interview invites, do you all have your transcripts and LOR in already? I almost find it disturbing that programs are inviting me to interview and don't know if I've even passed my core clerkships. I wonder if this is how people "get through the cracks". I'm not complaining...I just think it's a funny system.

My perception on this - think of it this way, they see something in your application and personal statement that they are willing to look beyond a pass in your clerkships (if it were to happen) to INVITE you. I am sure these people have been at it for years; and if it does turn out to be that you havent passed, they always can choose not to rank you. On the other hand, in spite of you failing your core clerkships, you may impress them so much at the interview, that they would STILL rank you.

What would you prefer? ;)

P.S. Yes, all my LoRs are in, and I got a few decent calls before my 4th LoR was in.

Hey folks/jdh,

What does it mean, if anything, when a program states you've been selected for an "early interview"? The program then listed 3 dates at the end of October as the early interview dates. I've never heard of an early interview and am just curious if it bears any hidden meaning...

Thank you,
A

Hey folks/jdh,

What does it mean, if anything, when a program states you've been selected for an "early interview"? The program then listed 3 dates at the end of October as the early interview dates. I've never heard of an early interview and am just curious if it bears any hidden meaning...

Thank you,
A

Could mean one of three things (all of which I'm sure you've already considered). Which it means depends on whether you're a tin foil hat type and, if so, whether you're a glass half-full or half-empty person.

It either means:
1. Nothing...you applied early, you get to interview early, congratulations.
2. You're the most amazing candidate they've ever seen (or close to it) and they can't wait to meet you.
3. You're such a marginal candidate that they're planning to use you to warm up their interviewers before the real candidates start rolling in.

Could mean one of three things (all of which I'm sure you've already considered). Which it means depends on whether you're a tin foil hat type and, if so, whether you're a glass half-full or half-empty person.

It either means:
1. Nothing...you applied early, you get to interview early, congratulations.
2. You're the most amazing candidate they've ever seen (or close to it) and they can't wait to meet you.
3. You're such a marginal candidate that they're planning to use you to warm up their interviewers before the real candidates start rolling in.

4. They are sick and tired of applicants using them as a backup, scheduling a late interview, and then cancelling later in the season because they got a bunch of other interviews. So, they push you to interview early.

Note: I am just guessing here, I have no idea.

May I suggest a simple solution? Quit guessing as to other people's motives - you have no way to know unless you ask. And until you ask you expend a lot of time in energy in what can only be a futile attempt to "strategize" a situation for which you lack enough information to even make a strategy.

Bottom line: if you like said program and are interested and have time at the end of October and it works with your personal interview schedule, go do the interview.

Just "let go and let God" (or "let go and let the universe" for my godless friends") You'll find your life simplifies.

May I suggest a simple solution? Quit guessing as to other people's motives - you have no way to know unless you ask. And until you ask you expend a lot of time in energy in what can only be a futile attempt to "strategize" a situation for which you lack enough information to even make a strategy.

Bottom line: if you like said program and are interested and have time at the end of October and it works with your personal interview schedule, go do the interview.

Just "let go and let God" (or "let go and let the universe" for my godless friends") You'll find your life simplifies.

Ya, I'm going to ask the PC at the interview. I'm really interested in the place actually and REALLY want to end up there....so will check it out see what happens and post back when I get the answer from the PC...Thanks y'all :)

Leopanter asked in the IM invite thread
Q. How long since your app was downloaded, did you guys get Yale interviews? Thanks.

A: Application was complete in early September. Note Dean's Letter is embargoed until November 1, 2009, so this component was not present.
Interviews came today (10/05/2009) via e-mail.

Last edited: