IM/Medical Genetics combined residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SB100

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm seriously considering medical and/or biochemical genetics as a specialty, but I'd rather treat an older population than a younger one. I realize that medical genetics and biochemical genetics grew out of the pediatric field, since infancy and childhood are the times when diagnosis of hereditary disorders is most likely to happen. However, with improved therapies and even some recent literature reports of diagnosed hereditary disorders in adolescents/adulthood, I feel like I could create a niche for myself in treating these types of patients.

That being said, I was wondering if anyone here has gone from IM to a medical genetics fellowship or did one of the few IM/Medical Genetics combined residencies. What were your thoughts on this? Do the combined programs do a good job of integrating genetic medicine with primary care?

I'm also curious as to what kind of compensation could be expected in this field. I tried looking at the links in the FAQs but they're outdated. Do you think compensation would be similar to that of an internist or a pediatric geneticist? If it helps, I'd like to work in an academic medical center in a city environment.

I appreciate your help in answering these questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I'm seriously considering medical and/or biochemical genetics as a specialty, but I'd rather treat an older population than a younger one. I realize that medical genetics and biochemical genetics grew out of the pediatric field, since infancy and childhood are the times when diagnosis of hereditary disorders is most likely to happen. However, with improved therapies and even some recent literature reports of diagnosed hereditary disorders in adolescents/adulthood, I feel like I could create a niche for myself in treating these types of patients.

That being said, I was wondering if anyone here has gone from IM to a medical genetics fellowship or did one of the few IM/Medical Genetics combined residencies. What were your thoughts on this? Do the combined programs do a good job of integrating genetic medicine with primary care?

I'm also curious as to what kind of compensation could be expected in this field. I tried looking at the links in the FAQs but they're outdated. Do you think compensation would be similar to that of an internist or a pediatric geneticist? If it helps, I'd like to work in an academic medical center in a city environment.

I appreciate your help in answering these questions.

Not sure about now, but I remember researching this way back when and it was pretty low. low 100k's if even that. Although times may have changed since 4 yrs ago.